Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#21241 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:56 PM

Agreed NParker. I have seen bylaw and VicPD deal with the squatters for years. Giant kid gloves, with utmost deference more like trying to be friends. That the tenters claim violence tells me what they they have no qualms lying and will eternally be complaining about « the help ».
  • Nparker, Awaiting Juno, newbie_01 and 1 other like this

#21242 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:31 PM

Enforcing laws and bylaws is not "unrelenting hostility and violence". 

• mbjj, Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#21243 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:28 PM

This development presents council with some delicious dilemmas.

Do they unleash the “brutal Bylaw” and dismantle the rogue tent?  If so, then they’re back to putting it in a neighbourhood that doesn’t want it either.

Do they let it stand in apparent violation of the trust?  Since the city didn’t erect it, who exactly is liable for the violation?

Do they still award the grant?  To whom exactly?  Are these “volunteers” associated with the original applicant?

I can think of no group of politicians less capable of sorting this mess out.  It should be fun to watch.

• Nparker, Love the rock, mbjj and 2 others like this

#21244 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:09 PM

Enforcing laws and bylaws is not "unrelenting hostility and violence".

And if that’s how they feel, then may I suggest that they follow the bylaws and laws? Best way to avoid contact with those people. That’s what the rest of us do.
The bylaws currently allow them to sleep on the parks in specific areas. Why not stick to these areas?
  • Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#21245 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:13 PM

This development presents council with some delicious dilemmas.

Do they unleash the “brutal Bylaw” and dismantle the rogue tent? If so, then they’re back to putting it in a neighbourhood that doesn’t want it either.

Do they let it stand in apparent violation of the trust? Since the city didn’t erect it, who exactly is liable for the violation?

Do they still award the grant? To whom exactly? Are these “volunteers” associated with the original applicant?

I can think of no group of politicians less capable of sorting this mess out. It should be fun to watch.

I was also wondering if those « volunteers » have anything to do with red cedar. Or if they are just muscling in on their action. If they can do it for free why do we have to pay red cedar $6k?
Fun to watch for outsiders but I feel for those who are impacted by this gong show (I might very well be one of them!)
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#21246 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:17 PM

Note - it looks like Beacon Hill Folks aren't happy with the spontaneous care tent and indicate that it's been set up by "part timers".  The abuse of Beacon Hill Park seems more protest than an actual need - sadly, it's caused all kinds of damage.

• LJ, A Girl is No one, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#21247 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:20 PM

...The abuse of Beacon Hill Park seems more protest than an actual need...

I'd posit almost anyone still camping at this point is more about protest than actual need.

#21248 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,998 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:22 PM

Note - it looks like Beacon Hill Folks aren't happy with the spontaneous care tent and indicate that it's been set up by "part timers".  The abuse of Beacon Hill Park seems more protest than an actual need - sadly, it's caused all kinds of damage.

https://twitter.com/BeaconHillFolks

#21249 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:28 PM

Wow, 60 years of living in Meegan (sic.)  Who knew, I’ve only been aware of them for the past 10 months or so.

I was also unaware of all the fighting and dying.  Evidently the struggle to suck off the public teat was more violent than we knew.

• Nparker, LJ, mbjj and 1 other like this

#21250 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:39 PM

I'd posit almost anyone still camping at this point is more about protest than actual need.

Dare I say here:
I have walked by the park a few times in the evening lately and only saw light in a small percentage of tents...
😝

#21251 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:03 PM

Dare I say here:
I have walked by the park a few times in the evening lately and only saw light in a small percentage of tents...

You ever wonder if these “homeless campers” think man these people of Victoria are stupid.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#21252 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:05 PM

You ever wonder if these “homeless campers” think man these people of Victoria are stupid.

I think this after almost every municipal election.

Edited by Nparker, 20 January 2021 - 03:12 PM.

• A Girl is No one and JimV like this

#21253 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:54 PM

Did anyone else know that PHS workers are unionized? When contract negotiation time comes up and the union asks for a raise in compensation, where does the money for that come from when such a large portion of the revenue comes from government sources? Despite it being publicly funded the taxpayers aren't entitled to know much detail about how or how successfully they're used.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...union-1.5879840

#21254 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:56 PM

Not surprising considering how long nights are this time of year. When I camp I'm usually preserving battery power as much as possible myself.

Might be people hanging out together in each other's tents too. Who knows.

Dare I say here:

#21255 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:05 PM

...Might be people hanging out together in each other's tents too...

No need for a "community care tent" then.

#21256 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:12 PM

No need for a "community care tent" then.

Or even camping in BHP. They could just go back to the existing shelters that have been closed due to the need to socially distance. 🤔
  • Nparker, Awaiting Juno and Teardrop like this

#21257 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:56 PM

Or even camping in BHP. They could just go back to the existing shelters that have been closed due to the need to socially distance.

The trouble with that is that the shelters might impose some unreasonable restrictions.  They might, for instance, discourage self medication in your room, random screaming or the discharge of firearms.   And few of them provide lockers for the storage of discarded household items and bike parts that you may have collected in the middle of the night.  It’s very understandable why someone would decline such oppressive conditions and prefer the great outdoors.

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#21258 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:07 PM

^ In seriousness many people are afraid to stay in shelters because they have been overtaken by criminals and they don't feel safe. We know from the courthouse camping that sexual assault is covered up.

• rmpeers and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#21259 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:09 PM

It was present in the court house tent city too (and most other tent cities if not all) and was covered up there too.
  • Nparker likes this

#21260 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,998 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:13 PM

well-run shelters have very little violence by and large.  but yes there are arguments and threats etc.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users