Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25851 replies to this topic

#21361 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

What a huge bloody mess in those photos! We were driving by and thought, wow, that is very close to the school. I thought they were supposed to be farther away?

#21362 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:13 PM

soo many aspects of the camping in parks bylaws broken.. close to trees, open flames... combustibles in the tent...i'm no fire expert but with how big the fire was and how high it went (you could see it from a significant distance) that was not just a damp tent with campers typical belongings in it... there had to be many things to feed the flames... i heard hand sanitizer was in the tent... but i don't think a bottle or two of hand that caused such large flames.. and who really has a bunsen burner in a tent?! that's lab equipment... 

and as for the ending homelessness i can't help but think of the old saying "i love deadlines.. especially as they go whizzing past"  there will be no end to homelessness on march 31st, all the tents in the city won't suddenly be gone unless she plans to round everyone up with big busses and ship them to some random island

• Awaiting Juno and Teardrop like this

#21363 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:08 PM

During a quick CFAX clip the mayor stated her goal now includes 250-units of housing. Previously her goal was to house just over 200 people residing in 191 tents.

The goal has increased by 25%, which makes one wonder if she has been informed that there are now more people in the parks than there were a month ago, or whether she believes there will be more by March 31st.

Just so long as we're clear that they are all either from here or moved here in great shape and then suddenly become unhoused.

#21364 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:33 PM

Notice to Hobos everywhere... come to Victoria for free housing...before March 31.

Don’t be late.
  • Redd42 likes this

#21365 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:11 PM

I'll take "Things being installed on Cook St without community consultation" for $500, Alex.

Attached Images

• 142379069_10157607213506571_1214657765543498952_n.jpg
  • 141983411_10157607214201571_2925619454823269918_n.jpg

#21366 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:12 PM

soo many aspects of the camping in parks bylaws broken.. close to trees, open flames... combustibles in the tent...i'm no fire expert but with how big the fire was and how high it went (you could see it from a significant distance) that was not just a damp tent with campers typical belongings in it... there had to be many things to feed the flames... i heard hand sanitizer was in the tent... but i don't think a bottle or two of hand that caused such large flames.. and who really has a bunsen burner in a tent?! that's lab equipment...

and as for the ending homelessness i can't help but think of the old saying "i love deadlines.. especially as they go whizzing past" there will be no end to homelessness on march 31st, all the tents in the city won't suddenly be gone unless she plans to round everyone up with big busses and ship them to some random island

Don't forget what an amazing job the very talented folks at the Coalition to End Homelessness did. When was it they were supposed to end homelessness by? And yet here they still are, snouts in the trough, as things get worse and worse. Why does such an obvious scam continue to get funded?
  • Nparker, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#21367 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:31 PM

I'll take "Things being installed on Cook St without community consultation" for $500, Alex.

I'll take people representing the FGCA claimed that they'd accept it there for $1,000 - leaving the FGCA to have to "clean up" rogue members.

FFS already though, the tents didn't belong in Central Park, they don't belong more so in Beacon Hill Park, they don't belong really in any park and yet there they are and have been for months.  It doesn't matter if they're digging trenches or costing the city what is estimated to be $1.7M a year in additional cost (ADD remediation cost to that figure).  Nevermind all the additional other costs that are being born by the community in which they've entrenched.  This whole thing gets a big stinking F at all levels of government.

• Nparker, LJ, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#21368 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:20 PM

... This whole thing gets a big stinking F at all levels of government.

But most especially the CoV government for actively encouraging people from across Canada to come to Victoria; land of permissive bylaws and promises of free housing.

• Love the rock and Awaiting Juno like this

#21369 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:23 PM

no consultation required...that was the vote at the last council meeting (only young opposing, with isitt, loveday, dubow chickenshitting -errr, i mean recusing)...proceed with installation at a new location with no requirement to report back to council

remember - the avalon location would not have come back before council had there not been a "money" issue involved

the "need" is so great that it is justifable to put this thing wherever and whenevr staff can find a spot

#21370 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:25 PM

Worst. Civic. Government. Ever.

• Love the rock, mbjj, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#21371 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:41 PM

What the devil is going on at Cook Street? Why is the road closed?

#21372 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:45 PM

Every time someone posts an official CoV communication I learn something new about the city government.  Yesterday it was that we had an Community Inclusion Manager.  Today it’s an Engagement Department, whose job apparently is to inform residents what abuse will be visited next upon their neighbourhood without consultation.  And of course we already had a Parks Department responsible for destroying the parks and caring for the violent squatters therein.  The DVBA had better pray they never create a Small Business Department.

• Nparker, LJ, Daveyboy and 1 other like this

#21373 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:03 PM

remember - the avalon location would not have come back before council had there not been a "money" issue involved

The process at council was delayed somewhat by the corrupt application maneuvering, by the slippery handover of the project from the United Church to Red Cedar and by the questionable involvement of Shae Perkins.  It was stopped, however, by the rapid organization and protests of the Avalon area residents.  That is the only kind of action that can work.  Appeals to reason, common sense and citizens’ rights and safety fall upon deaf ears at council.

• Nparker, mbjj, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#21374 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:08 PM

What the devil is going on at Cook Street? Why is the road closed?

They’ve already wrecked Vancouver Street as a viable way to get in or out of James Bay.  Leaving Cook Street unimpeded would have made it too easy.

• mbjj and Victoria Watcher like this

#21375 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:40 PM

City crews were installing the boundaries for the community care tent just off Dallas road.

The irony of the the name « community care » is not lost on me btw

Edited by A Girl is No one, 23 January 2021 - 03:41 PM.

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#21376 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:49 PM

Adam Stirling posted some pics on twitter. The city went so far as to remove the yellow line in the middle of the road and redo it in a big swoop so it looks like a drunken sailor painted it. Unreal. I think we should all just drive in a straight line along there. I often park along there to go for a walk, guess that's out now. 

#21377 bugeyed

bugeyed
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 04:11 PM

Here's the new community care tent on Cook.  141990200_10157354884975793_572277741483

#21378 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 04:16 PM

It's like council can't say F.U. to Victoria residents often enough. 

• sebberry, Love the rock, mbjj and 5 others like this

#21379 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 04:37 PM

Here's the new community care tent on Cook.  

That curved yellow line looks so deliberate... so punitive... as if to say... who's got the last laugh now, suckers?

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#21380 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:56 PM

Another tent fire this afternoon.  Also an assault.  Police are investigating.  They’ll probably find that the camper needs a new tent and some instruction on the use of a Bunsen burner.

The Cook Street community tent should prevent these kind of incidents in the future.  Campers can stagger down through the wooded path, pick up some new needles at the tent, shoot up in the trees, use the public toilet if it’s still working, then return to the tent to enjoy a hot beverage with their neighbours from the other side of Cook Street.  Very mellow, no more of this violent stuff.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users