25855 replies to this topic

#22221 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 02:40 PM

Ok, thanks for that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22222 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 02:44 PM

Maybe our modern rights and freedoms should be officially sponsored by Maytag or Whirlpool? You still have freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, and freedom of association... but only if you're agitating.*

*washing machine reference

#22223 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 02:45 PM

Nope, COVID deniers

They remind me of those war deniers who used to protest wars before we weren't allowed to do that anymore.

Edited by aastra, 19 March 2021 - 02:45 PM.

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#22224 bugeyed

bugeyed
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 03:53 PM

Could this involve Ms Brett?

Ms Brett is busy raising a ruckus over in Vancouver.  It wouldn't surprise me if she weren't allowed to engage in her usual activities on the island (or southern island) as a part of her probation/ conditions for release.  It has been wonderful without her shenanigans.  

#22225 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 03:54 PM

I guess buildings in Mumbai looked close enough. 162576385_10165005514175123_126193352424

#22226 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 03:57 PM

it's not that far off!

plus:

an141717543canadian-prime-m.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 March 2021 - 03:58 PM.

• A Girl is No one and JimV like this

#22227 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 04:14 PM

The neighbours will be thrilled.

Not remotely; what a load of horse-s.....um, pucky!

How convenient to repeatedly keep picking on the Gorge-Burnside neighborhood and now Vic West in terms of parking these facilities. We're in Selkirk so not immediately impacted but you can bet the mortgage payment these folks will descend on Banfield Park with a vengeance to partake in whatever nocturnal recreational substance exchange activities are prevalent - and they are.

Curious why folks like Ms Helps or Ben Isitt or Carole James don't stick their SJW hands up to welcome the downtrodden into their neighborhoods in Fernwood or James Bay, respectively?

"Gorge" (Road, and that general area) has become a street crime s*** show; a few tents showed up some weeks ago in Banfield Park and more I'm certain are sure to follow with this announcement. Is there some good reason why Fernwood, James Bay or for that matter Fairfield or Rockland aren't required to "do their share" in terms of hosting these homeless people? Just asking for a few hundred friends....

• martini, sdwright.vic, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#22228 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 04:16 PM

I guess buildings in Mumbai looked close enough. 162576385_10165005514175123_126193352424

Small caps.. All caps...I can't keep up. What happened to Meegan? Are we referred to as Victoria only when convenient?

#22229 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 04:37 PM

Meegan is just Beacon Hill Park, I think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22230 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 04:51 PM

Is there some good reason why Fernwood, James Bay or for that matter Fairfield or Rockland aren't required to "do their share" in terms of hosting these homeless people? Just asking for a few hundred friends....

James Bay and Fairfield have been hosting the bums for over a year - in BHP.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#22231 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 04:57 PM

James Bay and Fairfield have been hosting the bums for over a year - in BHP.

I salute you...very well played. :)

#22232 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 05:01 PM

victoria has the highest number of corrections canada half-way houses in all of canada for offenders on day parole.

the highest number of homeless population in all of north america.

the most generous programs and services for homeless in all of north america.  

more safe injection sites overdoes prevention sites than anywhere in all of north america.

and we wonder why our policing costs and caseloads are so high.  we don't just wonder.  some politicians aim to reduce police manpower.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 March 2021 - 05:04 PM.

• Nparker and martini like this

#22233 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 05:17 PM

Though the need was already there, Buisa said the pandemic accelerated and amplified impacts on low-income and unhoused people. She’s worried about what will happen to people when the city reinstates a bylaw that prohibits 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. public camping.

“COVID-19 is still here, so if people are not in housing and they’re not in homes, what’s going to happen?” she said. “Having to displace yourself with not knowing a sort of solution is something that is terrifying to a lot of people.”

https://www.vicnews....orias-unhoused/

night shelters, like they did for the several decades prior to 24/7 camping.  when we had 25 times less people living off the generous system.  people used to live indoors exactly because it was preferable.  they put aside differences with room-mates and friends and family to live relatively harmoniously indoors.

#22234 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 05:55 PM

Not remotely; what a load of horse-s.....um, pucky!

How convenient to repeatedly keep picking on the Gorge-Burnside neighborhood and now Vic West in terms of parking these facilities. We're in Selkirk so not immediately impacted but you can bet the mortgage payment these folks will descend on Banfield Park with a vengeance to partake in whatever nocturnal recreational substance exchange activities are prevalent - and they are.

Curious why folks like Ms Helps or Ben Isitt or Carole James don't stick their SJW hands up to welcome the downtrodden into their neighborhoods in Fernwood or James Bay, respectively?

"Gorge" (Road, and that general area) has become a street crime s*** show; a few tents showed up some weeks ago in Banfield Park and more I'm certain are sure to follow with this announcement. Is there some good reason why Fernwood, James Bay or for that matter Fairfield or Rockland aren't required to "do their share" in terms of hosting these homeless people? Just asking for a few hundred friends....

uh what????
I’m in Fairfield and have had to live through the court house tent city for a year, the BHP zoo for almost as long and another tent city in between those off of Douglas. The neighbourhood I loved has become a freak show and every business now has bars in front of their windows. I think we « did our fare share ».
They want to divide us. The key is to not wish this ANYWHERE. I don’t want to live with this anymore but I will not try to force it unto others. There are other options. The politicians want us to fight amongst ourselves so we don’t talk about other options.
  • LJ, Love the rock, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#22235 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 06:18 PM

uh what????
I’m in Fairfield and have had to live through the court house tent city for a year, the BHP zoo for almost as long and another tent city in between those off of Douglas. The neighbourhood I loved has become a freak show and every business now has bars in front of their windows. I think we « did our fare share ».
They want to divide us. The key is to not wish this ANYWHERE. I don’t want to live with this anymore but I will not try to force it unto others. There are other options. The politicians want us to fight amongst ourselves so we don’t talk about other options.

well said! How can we rise up together to address this? 

I despair.. I can't imagine how the owners of the grocery store are feeling tonight. I honestly don't know of any business owner that works as hard as those folks. It's a destination as much as it is a grocery store. They are always working on it and in it!

It's very beautiful inside, please visit if you haven't. Businesses like this are corner stones of communities. What is wrong with the leadership of this City? 

To the owners, thank you for everything that you do and have done.. It was a pleasure to visit and support you. it's clear Victoria doesn't deserve you. 

Tonight I can't help but feel this town is finished.

TFord 

• jasmineshinga and A Girl is No one like this

#22236 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 06:19 PM

uh what????

I don't disagree with your primary points however unlike Fairfield and the other neighborhoods - note I am a former resident of both James Bay and Fairfield - Gorge-Burnside and soon VicWest will have permanent structures dedicated expressly to housing the homeless not to mention having to deal with the unpleasant street-level drug and crime side effects that go with much of that demographic.

All you have to do is ask current Gorge-Burnside residents how that is going. Hardly a day goes by without yet another report of an assault, a B&E, a firearm, knife or other weapons offence...

BHP and other "parks" will soon be off limits to the homeless as of May: unfortunately for their residents Gorge-Burnside and now VicWest won't experience that happy reality until who knows when. Those folks are stuck with the situation and will it be months, years - or decades - before a more permanent solution is found? Who knows. But since the homeless can't go back to BH and other parks it seems highly likely these less fortunate neighborhoods are going to bear the brunt of the problem for a long_long time.

So my question stands: when will James Bay, Rockland, Fairfield and perhaps above all Fernwood - considering both Helps and Isitt reside there - stand up, be counted and take on their share of the semi-permanently housed homeless? Why is it incumbent on the hapless folks of Gorge-Burnside (especially), and now apparently Vic West, to have to repeatedly bend over? 

• Nparker likes this

#22237 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 06:54 PM

Just to clarify, Councillor Isitt lives in Quadra-Hillside.

Know it all.

#22238 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 07:00 PM

Just to clarify, Councillor Isitt lives in Quadra-Hillside.

his daughter lives in fernwood at least 50% of the time.

#22239 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 07:03 PM

BHP and other "parks" will soon be off limits to the homeless as of May: unfortunately for their residents Gorge-Burnside and now VicWest won't experience that happy reality until who knows when. Those folks are stuck with the situation and will it be months, years - or decades - before a more permanent solution is found? Who knows. But since the homeless can't go back to BH and other parks it seems highly likely these less fortunate neighborhoods are going to bear the brunt of the problem for a long_long time.

I very much doubt that will be the case.  What is the difference between 7-7 camping and 24-7 camping?  Bylaw enforcement.  Do you really think that the Clown Council will permit Bylaw to roust the “most vulnerable” regardless of the law?  

Anyway, the answer is not to scatter lawless mini-slums throughout the city.  The answer is to jail the criminals and confine the mentally ill and drug addicts in treatment facilities.  The remaining hard luck cases could easily be accommodated in housing units that we already have.

That, of course, requires clear thinking and political will.  We’ll never get that from the current bunch so the only hope of digging out of this hole is to replace them in October 2022.  I hope that Victoria voters understand that, though I’m not optimistic.

• Nparker, Love the rock, Midnightly and 3 others like this

#22240 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 07:10 PM

I very much doubt that will be the case.  What is the difference between 7-7 camping and 24-7 camping?  Bylaw enforcement.  Do you really think that the Clown Council will permit Bylaw to roust the “most vulnerable” regardless of the law?  

Anyway, the answer is not to scatter lawless mini-slums throughout the city.  The answer is to jail the criminals and confine the mentally ill and drug addicts in treatment facilities.  The remaining hard luck cases could easily be accommodated in housing units that we already have.

respectfully.  i think you miss the issues.

those who think the end of 24/7 camping means marauding zombies 7am to 7pm.  are wrong.

the end of 7am to 7pm squatting means these folks actually agree to cohabitate and live somewhat normal lives.   they make it work.  indoors.

it's only when we let them squat 24/7 for free that they become useless parasites.  sleeping half the day.  doing drugs the other half of the day.   and robbing the neighbours' yards and sheds and basements the final half of the day.

when we provide them with a 24/7 base for their criminal operations, they utilize it to store and merchandise goods.

when we make them pack up 7am to 7pm, they will chose to travel with less stolen **** onboard daily.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 March 2021 - 07:15 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users