Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#22441 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:06 AM

Province purchases Vic West property for $9.4 million to house homeless people in Victoria (victoriabuzz.com)

Something stinks about this.

#22442 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:09 AM

Definitely

#22443 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:36 AM

I have been told by a couple different people now that the buyer was Tim Quocksister. 

#22444 JimV

JimV
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 11:27 AM

Having never heard of him, I googled.  Interesting that the first article concerns the flipping of a supercar in violation of a contract, according to the plaintiff, Ford MC.

#22445 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,938 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:25 PM

and it might not even be the flip.  it's the $28,500+ annual cost per tenant to run the place.  that's an expensive mat/pod.

poverty pimps doing well here in vic west.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2021 - 12:26 PM.

• rjag and A Girl is No one like this

#22446 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:30 PM

I am hoping for a good mayoral candidate to emerge over the next 12 months or so.

That’s a tall order.  Not many normal people are willing to deal with all the left wing psychopaths we have running around these days.

• newbie_01 likes this

#22447 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:37 PM

Henry completed three years of a social justice studies degree at the University of Victoria. They worked as a residential support worker for the Victoria Cool Aid Society and as a mental health worker for the Vancouver-based Portland Hotel Society. 

Not all of the jobs ended on good terms and Henry didn’t always feel accepted by colleagues. 

“A lot of the time I was the only one with lived experience,” Henry said. “And there was pushback — pushback from my coworkers because I’m not on their ‘level.’” 

“But I understand what it’s like to be squished by a system that’s cruel and inhumane,” they added. “It’s cruel to keep people shackled and chained to cold, harsh, damp, dark environments.” 

Before it came down, Henry drove to the community tent nearly every day. They organized donations, served coffee and when needed, helped to de-escalate conflict or adverse behaviour. They’ve been housed for several years and live on disability funding. 

Henry laughed and called themselves the “queer mom” of the operation. They shrug when asked what draws them to the park, day after day. 

“I want to give legitimacy to people who are here,” they said. “I think that we all bring something unique to the table. We’ve all learned something or we’ve all achieved something through some kind of hardship.”

https://www.capitald...park-bear-henry

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2021 - 12:38 PM.

#22448 JimV

JimV
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:52 PM

That’s a tall order.  Not many normal people are willing to deal with all the left wing psychopaths we have running around these days.

I know, that’s why it’s only a hope.  But maybe not impossible.  Almost everybody is fed up with council and their supporters.  

#22449 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:58 PM

...I want to give legitimacy to people who are here,..

We should never accept the legitimacy of people living in parks.

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#22450 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:00 PM

Having never heard of him, I googled.  Interesting that the first article concerns the flipping of a supercar in violation of a contract, according to the plaintiff, Ford MC.

And for selling a car without clear title. Default judgement for $500K US against Silver Arrow Cars.

https://casetext.com...-arrow-cars-ltd

Good timing on the flip. Ford wants $1M and Sentry Select wants $500K US.

Edited by spanky123, 03 April 2021 - 01:08 PM.

#22451 JimV

JimV
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, after he pays off Ford and Sentry Select he should still retain a tidy 3m or so from the sale of Russell.  I hope the province checked the title closely before completing the deal.

#22452 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 03:19 PM

Re that roundabout on Cook, I'll take Linden instead, lol. It's usually Dallas Road I'm trying to get to anyways. 

#22453 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:16 PM

You and many more people...that’s exactly what I expected would happen... kids play on those side streets... makes no sense to push traffic OFF the main arteries and onto residential streets.
  • mbjj likes this

#22454 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:47 AM

A look back at PHS: Empire building

Society revenue jumped from $327,500 in 1997 to $6.8 million in the year ending March, 2002, according to the most recent publicly available financial records for the society.

Five months after O'Dea was fired, B.C. Housing conducted a rare special audit of the society that was completed in April 2002.

B.C. Housing and the society have refused to release that audit to the Courier, despite a Freedom of Information request and subsequent mediation attempt. The Courier is currently challenging that decision through the B.C. Information and Privacy Commissioner.

"They don't answer questions the community brings forward; they've bypassed the community structure. I can't even find out when their AGM is or what their membership base is. Every week, we are getting calls from different people regarding the lack of community process in funding allocation."

Lorne Mayencourt, Liberal MLA for Vancouver Burrard, is the driving force behind an effort to ensure the public has access to annual general meetings and board minutes for large, taxpayer-funded non-profit societies.

https://www.vancouve...uilding-2975110

Does anyone know if the AGM and financials are now released to the public?  How much of the funding spent on homelessness actually make it to directly helping the homeless?  The only person that seems to care is Adam Sterling. 

• Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#22455 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 10:15 AM

https://www.vancouve...uilding-2975110

Does anyone know if the AGM and financials are now released to the public?  How much of the funding spent on homelessness actually make it to directly helping the homeless?  The only person that seems to care is Adam Sterling. 

Society revenue jumped from $327,500 in 1997 to $6.8 million in the year ending March, 2002

well they are up to $52M revenue now (2020).

https://3xexkw144p7w...report-2020.pdf

Michael Vonn now heads the organization:

Ever since the founders of the PHS Community Services Society—Liz Evans and Mark Townsend—resigned in 2014, there's been a fair amount of turnover in the top position.

Ted Bruce served as executive director for 14 months, followed by Eamon O'Loacha for eight months. Then Jennifer Breakspear held the position for 22 months before being succeeded on an interim basis by long-time employee Andy Bond.

Today, the PHS board announced that that it has hired a chief executive officer, Micheal Vonn, who will assume this position on September 3.

Vonn has been policy director of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association for 15 years, outlasting several of the organization's executive directors, including Attorney General David Eby.

https://www.straight...icheal-vonn-ceo

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 April 2021 - 10:18 AM.

#22456 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 12:24 PM

Catherine Street acquisition has been reflected on BC Assessment, dated March 3rd. Russell Street acquisition occurred in December and still hasn’t been reflected.

I’m going to have to cast some doubt on the December sale of the Russell Street parcel for $3.4M. The listing does not describe the site as a share sale, nor can I find a “sold” posting on Collier’s website. If it did sell late last year, it’s under odd circumstances in that it wasn’t celebrated in the typical fashion and is not yet reflected on BCA.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22457 JimV

JimV
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 01:59 PM

I’ve made an enquiry to someone who should know.  If I get a reply I’ll post the answer here.

If it did not sell in December then we’re just back to the the province buying a property assessed at $2.5m for $9.4m.  Does not look good.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#22458 JimV

JimV
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 02:07 PM

well they are up to $52M revenue now (2020).

Wow, and all but about $5m of that is some form of government grant.  Nice work if you can get it.  

• Matt R. likes this

#22459 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Jim, please do.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22460 Urbanpioneer

Urbanpioneer
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:41 AM

Typical settlers greedily hand wringing worrying that another settler perhaps made an extra couple of bucks when the unhoused and conquered grovel for scraps in the squalor of the gulag known as “beacon hill” park
  • aastra and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

David Bratzer