Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25925 replies to this topic

#22461 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:42 AM

^ I would have thought that you would have been the most unhappy. How many more rent subsidies could $6M have paid for?

At $375/month that equals about 1,200 for a year.

Edited by spanky123, 05 April 2021 - 07:43 AM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#22462 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:55 AM

... the unhoused and conquered grovel for scraps in the squalor of the gulag known as “beacon hill” park

If BHP has become a squalid "gulag" that's entirely the fault of those who chose to live that way.

• sdwright.vic, SimonH and Midnightly like this

#22463 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:15 PM

Typical settlers greedily hand wringing worrying that another settler perhaps made an extra couple of bucks when the unhoused and conquered grovel for scraps in the squalor of the gulag known as “beacon hill” park

wouldn't the campers also be considered "settlers" if they are not of the Lekwungen songhees first nation people... i'll also add that those extra "couple of bucks" are millions.. enough to buy atleast 1 possibly 2 buildings that could house more people

Edited by Midnightly, 05 April 2021 - 01:16 PM.

#22464 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 02:17 PM

Technically "gulag" refers to a forced labor camp, not a voluntary chop shop.

• aastra, Nparker, LJ and 4 others like this

#22465 Shelby

Shelby
  • 269 posts
  • LocationToo close

Posted 05 April 2021 - 03:21 PM

^ I would have thought that you would have been the most unhappy. How many more rent subsidies could $6M have paid for?

At $375/month that equals about 1,200 for a year.

Only thing re rent subsidies you have to find a building willing to add them to a building.

#22466 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:15 PM

Only thing re rent subsidies you have to find a building willing to add them to a building.

Aren't rent subsidies under the RAP program paid directly to the tenants? Landlord would never know.

#22467 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:51 PM

Local MLA Adam Olsen said in an interview late last week that he will share public concerns about plans for supportive housing in Central Saanich, while declining to comment on more specific demands.

Olsen said he appreciates the concerns raised by an online petition demanding Saanichton residents be consulted prior to the supportive housing proposed for 1909 Prosser Rd. and plans to share them with the minister responsible for housing.

“I will be sharing those concerns and be really strongly expressing to him that it is important that if the government is going to proceed with this, that they have a really positive working relationship with the municipality and ensure that all of the services that are needed to support this facility are in place,” he said.

Signees of the petition – which reached more than 900 signatures as of Monday morning – have expressed concern that the location of the supportive housing appears inappropriate given its proximity to public amenities such as Centennial Park.

https://www.vicnews....entral-saanich/

#22468 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:05 PM

...Signees of the petition – which reached more than 900 signatures as of Monday morning – have expressed concern that the location of the supportive housing appears inappropriate given its proximity to public amenities such as Centennial Park.

Meanwhile in Victoria, public amenities like Beacon Hill Park, are given over to the homeless with more or less the local government's blessing.

• Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#22469 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:54 AM

Despite a petition of well over 28,000 signatures.
Not only that but BHP is a special park under trust and the city is spending our tax money going to court to try and strip the trust’s protections so homeless can live there permanently (as in living in tents 24/7).
  • Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#22470 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 08:27 AM

Despite a petition of well over 28,000 signatures.

900 signatures in Central Saanich, or about 5% of the municipal population.

28,000 signatures in the CoV, or about 30% of the municipal population

#22471 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:08 AM

I’d bet those 28000 are not all CoV

#22472 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:16 AM

The park has always been an attraction for more than CoV residents (and I don't mean as a homeless camp).

• Love the rock likes this

#22473 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:22 AM

I'd also bet those 900 are not all Central Saanich.

Anyway:

900 signatures in Central Saanich, or about 5% of the municipal population.

28,000 signatures in Greater Victoria, or about 7% of the metro population

• Mike K., Nparker, lanforod and 1 other like this

#22474 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 01:12 PM

when has that ever stopped the city of Victoria before? wayy back before covid started when people were actually able to go to the meetings and stand up and speak their mind on hot button issues, many people NOT from Victoria proper showed up and spoke out.. often against what people in Victoria proper may have wanted (the horse drawn carriage issue is the first that comes to mind)

#22475 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 01:08 PM

An excellent article on the disastrous effects closing 'asylums' has had on the mentally ill. It is from an American perspective, but could just as easily be about the situation in our own back yard.

https://www.city-jou...v3UpRb-d6ygpzy8

• A Girl is No one, Kungsberg, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#22476 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 02:30 PM

That was an excellent article but why are these realities being ignored here?

#22477 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 02:34 PM

That was an excellent article but why are these realities being ignored here?

To be fair, the realities are being ignored nearly everywhere.

• Barrrister likes this

#22478 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 02:35 PM

The B.C. government has signed a “historic” but ambitious agreement with the City of Vancouver and the park board to end the Strathcona Park homeless camp by the end of April and prevent future encampments in the city.

The memorandum of understanding announced Monday sets out some lofty goals considering the city’s history of encampments and the failure of previous governments to respond to Vancouver’s ever-growing homelessness crisis.

One of the key commitments from the provincial government is written on page three of the document, which reads:

“To work with government partners to fund and develop temporary and permanent housing options to reduce the number of unsheltered residents in parks and public spaces to zero and to create flow in established shelter and supportive housing.”

The city’s main role in the agreement will be to provide land for housing or shelter “and to expedite land use decisions necessary to rapidly respond to housing need,” the document said.

The park board also must enforce its parks control bylaw to keep people from setting up encampments, but only when “suitable spaces are available for people to move indoors.”

The agreement comes after David Eby, B.C.’s attorney general and minister responsible for housing, promised in February that every person in Strathcona Park would be moved into some form of shelter by the end of April.

https://www.vancouve...ncouver-3608409

'They'll be on the street again'

"I think it's impossible to achieve," said Anna Cooper, staff lawyer with Pivot Legal Society.

"For a short period of time you'll have some people indoors," said Cooper. "Then a bunch of people — that housing won't work for them — they'll be evicted, they'll be banned from a shelter, they'll be on the street again."

Cooper also worries about the hundreds of other homeless people who aren't living at Strathcona Park, and won't be included in this effort to house people. She predicts before long, people will again gravitate to an encampment type of situation.

University of Victoria researcher Bernie Pauly doesn't think there will be enough housing available in the province's capital by the end of the month, despite the promise of 280 supportive housing units coming to the area.

She said she's concerned about public reaction when they inevitably still see unhoused people in Victoria in May.

"My biggest worry is that, you know, some of the backlash is going to land on homeless people instead of on governments," said Pauly.

Pauly told CBC's On The Island on Wednesday that she also worries the province will put people into shelter-like settings in Victoria if they do not have enough individual units by April 30 and that while there would be health and safety measures in place, multiple people living together could create more opportunities for the virus to spread.

"We have a serious situation when we are placing people into congregate settings," she said.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ioned-1.5977648

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 April 2021 - 02:39 PM.

#22479 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 02:38 PM

^ No secrets with the asylums, they were closed because lefties felt they were an insult to human rights. Instead we now have an insult to human dignity. 

• A Girl is No one, Barrrister, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#22480 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:56 PM

I still hear no plan to keep the continuous inflow of people moving to Vancouver and Victoria for free government housing. That’s a huge caveat in Eby’s plan. I can’t believe he’s that clueless. I think he will end up wearing this and it won’t be pretty. I really hope I’m wrong but the activists are already complaining that it’s not good enough, there’s not enough etc.
  • Nparker, Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users