Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:49 PM

#22522 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:45 PM

579,000 US deaths - 24.6 times Canada's 23,500, yet the US population is only 8.5 times Canada

US is 14th in the world in deaths per million, Canada is 62nd

is there a point to the graphs above, other than they kind of look the same? ... sort of...

Attached Images

• canus.JPG

#22523 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:47 PM

^ yes there s a point to be made.

that canada has done terribly since vaccines became available to the entire world.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 April 2021 - 06:47 PM.

#22524 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:57 PM

....Canada has done terribly since vaccines became available to the entire world.

I don't disagree, but I am not sure how it relates to homelessness.

#22525 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:58 PM

When you die you are homeless

#22526 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:59 PM

That depends on one's take on an (alleged) afterlife.

• Matt R. likes this

#22527 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:19 PM

Apologies in advance if already posted...

The City of Victoria, as a trustee, is seeking the opinion, advice, or direction of the BC Supreme Court on the following question:

“Can the land known as Beacon Hill Park, held in trust by the City of Victoria, be used by persons experiencing homelessness for temporary sheltering?”

https://www.victoria...M-nUaD3JDE2MR9c

#22528 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:50 PM

As much as I hate to say it there's nothing about homeless camping affecting the park that hasn't already occurred with the presence of the petting zoo and lawn bowling club. Invoking the Trust to ban camping puts those other two uses at risk.

It's possible they could use the argument that camping interferes with our enjoyment of the park, there are now areas that I simply can't access. If I plunked a lawn chair outside the entrance to someone's tent I'd be making a risky move. I can't have a picnic in the lawn bowling green or petting zoo either, but I can still access those areas as a visitor to the zoo or member/guest of the bowling club.

• newbie_01 likes this

#22529 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:03 AM

15Days.png

People sheltering outdoors will likely begin moving into tiny homes near Royal Athletic Park and a shelter space in Victoria West starting in early May, says the non-profit that will manage the tiny-home village.

Grant McKenzie, communications director for Our Place Society, said construction delays have pushed back the move-in dates for the tiny-home village in the parking lot next to Royal Athletic Park and a Vic West shelter on Russell Street, which together will house about 100 people.

https://www.timescol...-may-1.24307964

The delays won’t affect city council’s decision last month to end all-day camping as of May 1, but the bylaw won’t be enforced against people who have confirmed offers of indoor space and are waiting for it to be ready, said Mayor Lisa Helps.

that's classic lisa helps right there.

Outreach workers will be in parks before the end of April making shelter offers to those who remain, she said, noting the number of people sheltering in parks fluctuates on a daily basis.

^ why?

Anthony Bryan, who is ­sheltering in a tent in the park, said he hopes to move indoors to an individual unit where he can lock his door, and he’s still ­waiting to hear if he’ll get an offer.

He said there was a flood of people moving out of the park and into shelters a few weeks ago, but that movement has slowed.

“Now it’s radio silence again,” he said.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 April 2021 - 05:07 AM.

#22530 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:59 AM

is this an unusual amount of activity?

One block west of where the two homes above the X is, one home had hit the market before Easter, and since sold. The home on the northwest corner of the intersection of Langford and Catherine is days away from being listed. For there to be six listings just days apart in a one block radius is peculiar. Also, the two at the bottom are part of the townhome development on Wilson, so not related to market factors.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22531 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:37 AM

I understand there is a movement afoot for some campers to refuse to be forced indoors. So, shockingly, there is just a remote chance that homelessness won't magically end in May.

It didn't end in March, it won't end in April so why should you believe it will end in May? Other than relying on what City staff are told to say, anyone living near BHP who can give an accurate update as to whether the # of campers is changing significantly?

• Nparker likes this

#22532 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:52 AM

Mum ran into a resident on Russell Street who put her home on the market. This woman told her that she and her husband are moving out of Victoria, “and we don’t ever plan to return. This is no longer the Victoria we once knew.” Three homes are for sale on Russell next to the upcoming shelter.

Over on Catherine Street there is panic among residents as BC Housing has not shed any further light on their plans, leaving everyone in the dark. Five homes have gone up for sale in recent days within a block of the upcoming project. One family, with a home kitty corner from the project site, is about to list their home, and their elderly mother in James Bay will be listing her condo not far from the park. They will be moving out of the CoV, is my understanding.
  • newbie_01 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22533 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:33 AM

Apologies in advance if already posted...

The City of Victoria, as a trustee, is seeking the opinion, advice, or direction of the BC Supreme Court on the following question:

“Can the land known as Beacon Hill Park, held in trust by the City of Victoria, be used by persons experiencing homelessness for temporary sheltering?”

https://www.victoria...M-nUaD3JDE2MR9c

It’s clear from the city’s gestures like this one and the request for federal funds to support people camping in parks that they have no intention of adhering to the agreement with the province. Ugh.
  • Nparker likes this

#22534 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:39 AM

It's disheartening to know that Victoria is being controlled by such a despicable group of deceitful liars.

• mbjj likes this

#22535 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:41 AM

Taken a walk through Ross Bay lately?  The dead there have some of the most valuable real estate around.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22536 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:41 AM

Ross Bay is mostly micro-condos.

• newbie_01 likes this

#22537 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:51 AM

It’s clear from the city’s gestures like this one and the request for federal funds to support people camping in parks that they have no intention of adhering to the agreement with the province. Ugh.

Why would they, it is clear from past actions that the Province will keep on coughing up funds.

Having said that however, I think the City will keep the temperature down for a few months. It will pick up again in the fall as a last chance to get new projects paid for before the next election.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#22538 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:57 AM

Ross Bay is mostly micro-condos.

No windows though.  I wonder why they don't install skylights?  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22539 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 01:40 PM

Skylights were found to terrify visitors. 

• sebberry likes this

#22540 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 03:56 PM

Looks like that 40k homelessness survey report has finally arrived. Stirling posted a few highlights on his twitter. Looks like an excellent piece of work.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

phx