Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#22841 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:59 PM

The minister is still not addressing what the plans are for the facilities he plans to open in Victoria. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to call what's happening "one of the best models of provincial and municipal cooperation in British Columbia right now," when the electorate are completely in the dark.

• A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22842 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:04 AM

"It is odd that the Province’s top lawyer is silent on protecting vulnerable senior citizens from crime but vocal on encouraging Provincial action which directly inflicts such crime on those same senior citizens."

It is shocking that the general population allows harm, and a vastly reduced quality of life for senior citizens, mothers and their children who at one time were confident, felt secure and held a bright view of their future because of the wonderful neighbourhoods they lived in.

Forced cohabitation with a large and growing group of citizens who suffer from severe mental illness who themselves are subjected to relentless sales-pitches to buy and use poison that promises to dull their pain, their mental illness.

Senior citizens, mothers and their children are held hostage in their homes, subjected to theft, property damage and daily terror and as statistics have proven, threats to their life and have been physically harmed. 

These seniors, mothers and their children do not have the financial resources to escape.

This group whose own confidence has been striped, and are now vulnerable, are at risk of suffering mental illness because of the living situation they've been forced into and perhaps will themselves become victims of the poison peddled to dull the pain. 

A GoFundMe could be set up to raise money to help seniors, mothers and children relocate from their afflicted neighbourhoods. 

Moving seniors, mothers and their children would solve it.

It would free up hundreds of homes, apartments and condos and large swaths of core downtown streets, parks and public areas across BC for the mentally and poison ill people.  

Edited by VIResident, 13 May 2021 - 04:07 AM.

• A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#22843 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:58 AM

it’s not like the city of penticton was not cooperative. they just asked the province to stick to their promises.
  • A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#22844 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:13 AM

The way my parents explained rights, was that I have rights, however, my rights are not so broad as to enable me to strip from other's their own rights: simply put, my right to throw my fists around as I see fit, ends at the tip of another person's nose. People have the right to peaceful enjoyment of their cities, they have the right to walk their streets, free from threats and intimidation, they have the right to not have their property stolen or vandalized, they have the right to use their public parks freely - so long as their use does not infringe upon the use of the park by others. Rights, come with specific responsibilities. 

We've allowed people to claim rights without responsibilities, we have come to a place where some people's exercise of rights has resulted in the deprivation of the rights of others. We've turned a blind eye - to even minimal requirements of those who are demanding the most from this city, and we need find a backbone and begin turning the page on this awful chapter where woefully unwell people were abandoned on our streets. 

We can't house our way out of a mental health and addictions problem - and we can't go it alone on a solution, unless we want to be overwhelmed with a problem far too big for our community to handle. We're already there, and failing badly.

• Nparker, LJ, Love the rock and 8 others like this

#22845 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:48 AM

I would suggest that it's politicians and their political backers who have turned a blind eye, and select groups in the mainstream media. Residents of Victoria are very concerned about what has happened, but the leadership of Victoria is not lending an ear and works to undermine those concerns as hearsay or intolerance.

The crime in Victoria started rising in 2014. Through 2013 it was on a downward trajectory. The only thing that changed between 2013 and 2014 was politics.

• Nparker, Love the rock, Awaiting Juno and 3 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22846 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 10:06 AM

The way my parents explained rights, was that I have rights, however, my rights are not so broad as to enable me to strip from other's their own rights: simply put, my right to throw my fists around as I see fit, ends at the tip of another person's nose. People have the right to peaceful enjoyment of their cities, they have the right to walk their streets, free from threats and intimidation, they have the right to not have their property stolen or vandalized, they have the right to use their public parks freely - so long as their use does not infringe upon the use of the park by others. Rights, come with specific responsibilities.

We've allowed people to claim rights without responsibilities, we have come to a place where some people's exercise of rights has resulted in the deprivation of the rights of others. We've turned a blind eye - to even minimal requirements of those who are demanding the most from this city, and we need find a backbone and begin turning the page on this awful chapter where woefully unwell people were abandoned on our streets.

We can't house our way out of a mental health and addictions problem - and we can't go it alone on a solution, unless we want to be overwhelmed with a problem far too big for our community to handle. We're already there, and failing badly.

I think one of the problems is that one group of people have taxpayer funded lawyers whose entire focus is on pushing for that group’s rights, and they have ignored other people’s rights.
These other people who fund the activist lawyers for the first group cannot afford legal representation.
Thus we get very warped legal decisions where one side keeps pushing and the other is absent/not represented.
  • Nparker, Love the rock, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#22847 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 10:43 AM

that’s true.

#22848 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 11:14 AM

BC Housing has released a statement just now confirming 191 people have been placed into housing or shelter, out of 220 identified.

This would line up with the 30 spaces ready for occupancy tomorrow at the Tiny Homes Village.

Know it all.

#22849 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 11:45 AM

I wonder if a class action could be launched?  Do-able?  Not launched by 'nimbys', rather, seniors, families and families on behalf of their children who have been harmed here.

There are a few lawyers (Judge too) in this group - is this a possibility?

#22850 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 01:09 PM

BC Housing has released a statement just now confirming 191 people have been placed into housing or shelter, out of 220 identified.

This would line up with the 30 spaces ready for occupancy tomorrow at the Tiny Homes Village.

Great. Problem solved and no more tents.

• Nparker, Daveyboy, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#22851 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:36 PM

So we swung by the site of the proposed new homeless housing facility in Central Saanich today to see what all the fuss was about.

For starters it’s located right in the face of an existing townhouse complex. Right behind that new fence.

03890BCD-D23B-47D7-80D7-5FA73E24BCF6.jpeg

It would appear that the view for some folks is about to change soon.

0CB5CE8E-4AEB-4EC9-98C4-61F12727F68D.jpeg

This is one big hole in the ground.

0BDED2C9-CECA-4142-A2DB-1F0D76AF6483.jpeg

#22852 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:41 PM

Sell now!!!!

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#22853 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:09 PM

My parents live out that way, maybe about a 15 minute walk from there. Dad told me that one of those existing townhouses sold just before announcement was made of the new complex, and multiple other units and houses nearby were listed shortly after. Apparently they hadn't sold in some while, though I don't see any listings on Realtor in that area currently.

#22854 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 11:35 PM

so i should be able to go to beacon hill on saturday, or vic west skate park and not see a single tent?

#22855 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:10 AM

I would suggest that it's politicians and their political backers who have turned a blind eye, and select groups in the mainstream media. Residents of Victoria are very concerned about what has happened, but the leadership of Victoria is not lending an ear and works to undermine those concerns as hearsay or intolerance.

The crime in Victoria started rising in 2014. Through 2013 it was on a downward trajectory. The only thing that changed between 2013 and 2014 was politics.

What of the general public who've turned a blind-eye?

We've seen in recent history that 'leadership' in any community will not turn a blind-eye if a majority of the public is mad-as-hell.  

"I want you to get up right now. Sit up. Go to your windows. Open them and stick your head out and yell – ‘I’m as mad as hell and I’m not gonna take this anymore!’ Things have got to change. But first, you’ve gotta get mad!…You’ve got to say, ‘I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not gonna take this anymore!’ Then we’ll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first, get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: ‘I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not gonna take this anymore!’- American playwright, screenwriter and novelist Sidney Aaron “Paddy” Chayefsky

• A Girl is No one likes this

#22856 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:14 AM

I have said before. council has used the cover of covid to run rampant. if in person council meetings with the public were still being held they’d heard it every single week at public input time.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 May 2021 - 04:14 AM.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#22857 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:23 AM

I have said before. council has used the cover of covid to run rampant. if in person council meetings with the public were still being held they’d heard it every single week at public input time.

I'm not so sure VW.  

#22858 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:13 AM

Bylaw staff have been threatened, chased and intimidated while monitoring shelters in parks, and the city does not allow officers to visit certain areas unless ­accompanied by police. Last week, Shannon Perkins, manager of bylaw services, told council there were eight areas of the city where bylaw staff can’t work without support from police. “This is the highest number of elevated risk areas we have ever had. Police support for bylaw enforcement is limited, and some enforcement activity cannot occur without their presence, and this slows our work down,” she said.

https://www.timescol...oors-1.24319142

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 May 2021 - 05:13 AM.

#22859 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:02 AM

the very definition of induced demand!

The suspect, a 44-year-old Kelowna man who came to Victoria in January,

Attached Images

• induceddemand.JPG

#22860 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:06 AM

I'm not so sure VW.  

Most people are running their butts off trying to balance work, family and breaking even. Most do not have the time to spend 6 hours at a council meeting hoping to get 3 minutes to speak their mind. The exception of course are those who are fortunate enough to have jobs that pay them well but don't require any real effort or don't have jobs at all but enjoy the largess of government money or funding from their buddies at City Hall.

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users