• Please log in to reply
25923 replies to this topic

#22881 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:52 PM

I have this saved in my bookmarks for quickfire submissions:

https://www.victoria...gMVgiHEFd1prrTs

Why don’t the people that live right across the bike path from it report it?
At some point people have to take ownership of this problem. If they won’t speak up then they can have their squatter. I’m not doing it for them.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#22882 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 06:34 PM

Do you think the local media will feature the owners of the burned property to get sympathy? Nope. Nothing to see here.

I think there will be more media resources available tomorrow to bring more clarification forward. Usually incidents like this on a weekend will be covered again during the week.

Victoria council and the province need to answer for this. Residents are terrified of what has been brought to their neighbourhood.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22883 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 06:36 PM

Why don’t the people that live right across the bike path from it report it?
At some point people have to take ownership of this problem. If they won’t speak up then they can have their squatter. I’m not doing it for them.

somebody i know made a complaint last week about a tent in oaklands park...it is gone as of today!

• Mike K., GaryRanson and A Girl is No one like this

#22884 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:00 AM

Grant McKenzie, communications director for Our Place, said the non-profit is “extremely disappointed” by the incident. They do not make the decision to remove someone from housing lightly, but they have a zero tolerance policy for crime, he said, and safety for residents and neighbours is a top priority.

“Last night, there were 29 other people in that shelter who had a good night’s sleep because housing was available for them. We can’t jeopardize that,” McKenzie said.

Outreach workers, who can provide help filling out applications for housing, detox, identification, returning to school or finding work, do not have the training to help people with complex mental health needs, McKenzie said.

The needs of someone who sets fire to property are “such a step above a local charity providing housing,” he said.

“It shows that there’s such a gap that we’re missing, you know. So this person has been arrested for arson, and the way the system seems to be working, he’ll probably be released this afternoon or tomorrow. And he’ll be released back onto the street, because there is no place to put him,” McKenzie said. “There is no place of complex care that can look into what’s causing this.”

https://www.timescol...rest-1.24319774

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 May 2021 - 04:00 AM.

• kitty surprise likes this

#22885 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 05:57 AM

"The needs of someone who sets fire to property are such a step above a local charity providing housing...and he’ll be released back onto the street, because there is no place to put him,”

I hope Grant isn't suggesting creating a new housing type for criminals. Because they would be prison. And taxpayers already pay for that. But we're not getting very good value for money. And it's not lining the pockets of the charities oops my bad.

#22886 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:00 AM

Well, to be fair, the suspect respected the Our Place rule against setting fires within 20m of the shelter.

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#22887 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:16 AM

has Our Place - ever - commented about the eviction of one if their tenants over the years?

Adam Stirling suggests this guy not be allowed back yesterday and today our place confirms that’s the plan.
  • David Bratzer likes this

#22888 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:23 AM

So does this mean that he will be allowed to sleep in parks where he will be just as dangerous - just not to Our Place staff?
  • Love the rock likes this

#22889 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:17 AM

Do you think the local media will feature the owners of the burned property to get sympathy? Nope. Nothing to see here.

I am sure they are ecstatic. BC Housing will build them a new building (or just buy it for 5x what it is worth).

#22890 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:17 AM

has Our Place - ever - commented about the eviction of one if their tenants over the years?

Adam Stirling suggests this guy not be allowed back yesterday and today our place confirms that’s the plan.

Not back at that shelter. 

#22891 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:34 AM

Those who are homeless are as terrified as those who are homed. 

#22892 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:40 AM

Not back at that shelter. 

that's true.  he's not likely precluded from staying at other shelters.

#22893 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:11 PM

Took a short walk by the park. Many tents still in place, and many old campers.
Why can’t the campers park in the parking lot if a shelter? Paul’s has a large parking lot.
  • Love the rock and Victoria Watcher like this

#22894 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:14 PM

Took a short walk by the park. Many tents still in place, and many old campers.
Why can’t the campers park in the parking lot if a shelter? Paul’s has a large parking lot.

so does 3020 blanshard and tally ho and super 8.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#22895 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:22 AM

i think a lot of these problems could be solved if we just created another $60,000 position for a "Housing Outreach Pilot Project" !!??

link to city doc - https://t.co/9Cv782bTYP?amp=1

courtesy of sharmarke, ben and sarah

Edited by tommy, 18 May 2021 - 09:23 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#22896 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:02 AM

You'd think after all this time we'd have a position like that already?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22897 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:47 AM

i think a lot of these problems could be solved if we just created another $60,000 position for a "Housing Outreach Pilot Project" !!??

link to city doc - https://t.co/9Cv782bTYP?amp=1

courtesy of sharmarke, ben and sarah

Which one of them is connected to the recipient of this new position, I wonder?

#22898 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:25 PM

Tiny homes village has its first fire 3 days in... who won the pool on that one?

https://vancouverisl...jqC1pVVCnTPIzD8

Edit, I see this was posted in the crime section

Edited by Klapecki, 18 May 2021 - 01:28 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#22899 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:29 PM

that’s why these folks need supervision. like kids. no matches.

#22900 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:49 PM

I passed a couple of police officers and support people chatting with a couple of the few remaining homeless campers in Vic West park. Last week wagon train guy was complaining about having to sign a paper agreeing to shelter rules. Today two-wheel electric scooter guy was asking if there were any plans to install public outlets. I wasn't sure if he was referring to the park or the shelter.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users