Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25933 replies to this topic

#24041 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 03:02 PM

There was a man having a crisis at my back door last week, sounded like a wounded animal bellowing. Kicking and punching the door. I called 911 and they wouldnt respond.

They wouldn’t send officers to your residence?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24042 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 04:32 PM

Pandora is looking like a mini version!

For what it's worth I reported the 24/7 Pandora campers to CoV bylaw enforcement yesterday. I'll keep doing this until the issue is resolved or the city blocks my email address. I think we know which scenario is likely to happen first. 🙄
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#24043 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 04:35 PM

Vancouver residents are "frustrated by the outsized impacts a small number of repeat offenders have had" on communities, he said in a statement.

For example, 40 people in Vancouver are responsible for over 6,300 incidents, Stewart said. Most of those people have extreme mental-health, substance-use, and housing challenges.

Regarding the topic of repeat offenders, back in 2013 the Times-Colonist reported that 10 individuals were responsible for hundreds of calls per year. And even back in 2013 the issue was already stale for lack of progress of any kind.

I recall a comment made on this board by an astute forumer:

November 6, 2020:

And then tomorrow we'll go right back to the "a large percentage of crime is committed by a very small percentage of repeat offenders" shtick, without a trace of irony. One moment it's the expedient approach, but the next moment it's breaking society's back. Contradictions and cognitive dissonance, over and over, decade after decade.

It's all just an elaborate performance. Every day they're working on it, but every day they accomplish nothing. Because it's such a difficult problem to address. So very complicated and confusing. Call in new experts. Yesterday's experts must have been buffoons, but today's experts will surely be able to figure it out. Lather, rinse, repeat.

• Daveyboy and Barrrister like this

#24044 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 04:44 PM

For what it's worth I reported the 24/7 Pandora campers to CoV bylaw enforcement yesterday...

Excerpted from the CoV's generic response to my report:

...We acknowledge the impact that outdoor sheltering has on the community.  A dedicated team of Bylaw Officers, Public Works and Parks staff and members of the Victoria Police Department conduct daily patrols of public spaces to enforce the Parks Regulation Bylaw and the Streets and Traffic Bylaw as it pertains to outdoor sheltering.  Due to high volume of these call types, we may not be able to attend to your call the same day. ..We expect everyone to follow the rules, however on occasion, matters involving unlawful sheltering can take several days or weeks to resolve depending on individual circumstances. People who are living outside often have significant barriers that make compliance for even the most cooperative person, very difficult. In these situations, our Bylaw Officers work with service providers, health and housing outreach services and others to find long term solutions...

In other words, don't call us, we'll call you.  <_< 

I've yet to see the city find any long term solutions.

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#24045 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 04:53 PM

I just submitted another bylaw (tenting) report.

• Nparker likes this

#24046 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 07:37 PM

There was a man having a crisis at my back door last week, sounded like a wounded animal bellowing. Kicking and punching the door. I called 911 and they wouldnt respond.

You probably forgot to mention the big knife he had and the person he was trying to stab.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#24047 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 07:55 PM

What is happening to the city of Vancouver? Who is responsible for the surge in violent crime? And is the introduction of a “safe supply” of toxic drugs, including heroin and cocaine, really the solution the city needs? Here's what you need to know Politics Explained | Season 3 | Episode 1

VIDEO:

https://youtu.be/PT8OU8Yhs_s

attachicon.gif screenshot-www.youtube.com-2022.10.08-08_11_56.png

For example, 40 people in Vancouver are responsible for over 6,300 incidents, Stewart said. Most of those people have extreme mental-health, substance-use, and housing challenges.

“Complex care housing and the right supports are needed to get to the root of the issue,” he said.

One wonders how much Mr. Gunn would be willing to see his taxes rise to pay for all of the treatment that he seems to advocate?  Not to mention that a good many of those people used to live/were housed at Riverview - which was closed, in part, because of funding being reduced by the BC Liberal government.  A government that, I'm sure, Mr.Gunn was an ideological fan of...

Also. is. it. just. me. or. does. Aaron. Gunn. talk. in. one. word. sentences? 

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#24048 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:00 AM

Riverview’s closure was not the result of funding per se, but more-so the changing models of care in relation to the charter, no?

It’s a very complex issue. The government recognized that the threshold for forced incarceration/treatment was set higher, and the decision was made to walk away from the treatment model that no longer meshed with Canadian rights. We saw something similar with Eric Martin Pavilion at RJH.

Am I understanding the scenario correctly? Can someone opine on this?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24049 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:03 AM

According to Wikipedia, plans for a new facility were outlined in 2015 with plans to open in 2019. In 2017 the NDP took power thanks to Weaver and the Greens.

Know it all.

#24050 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:03 AM

Maybe they should just use coerced medical treatment? That doesn’t seem to violate our charter rights. Just say no welfare or support payments if you don’t get the treatment. Then they still have a choice!

(Sarcasm)

Edited by dasmo, 09 October 2022 - 08:23 AM.

• Nparker and jrm like this

#24051 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:06 AM

Riverview’s closure was not the result of funding per se, but more-so the changing models of care in relation to the charter, no?

It’s a very complex issue. The government recognized that the threshold for forced incarceration/treatment was set higher, and the decision was made to walk away from the treatment model that no longer meshed with Canadian rights. We saw something similar with Eric Martin Pavilion at RJH.

Am I understanding the scenario correctly? Can someone opine on this?

That's more or less correct.  "Funding cuts" is a favourite phrase of anyone looking for education or health attention.  It's fabricated.

• Mike K. likes this

#24052 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:06 AM

That would lead to a challenge, I’m sure.

The bar for treatment under the mental health act is now set very high. It’s such a different world today in that regard than in 2000 even.

But the NDP have been sitting on this file now since 2017. Under their leadership the situation has become markedly worse, and now they want to start supplying society with hard drugs.
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.

#24053 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:09 AM

Hard drugs without medical supervision; what could possibly go wrong?
  • Awaiting Juno and Barrrister like this

#24054 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:11 AM

That's more or less correct. "Funding cuts" is a favourite phrase of anyone looking for education or health attention. It's fabricated.

The closure of Riverview represented a fundamental paradigm shift in the ethical code governing social order.

It is predicated on not -ever- tolerating an accidental forced incarceration/treatment rather than incarceration of mentally ill individuals for the greater good of society, and protection for the patients themselves.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.

#24055 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:22 AM

It has lead to many challenges! Sarcasm aside The area of focus should be when the individual is harming themselves or others. Like crapping on the sidewalk, roaming around yelling at people, physically assaulting people, trespassing etc. Then that person should be “arrested” and evaluated. Not for forced medication but some form of removal from the community they are harming and some form of treatment if they have potential to recover and function again. I have a friend with mental illness who has harmed themselves. And has been on psychotic episodes lasting days. If they are medicated they are functional. Not that I personally agree with their treatment protocol and it does have negative side effects but treatment makes him function. Without treatment he is in trouble.
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#24056 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:28 AM

...It is predicated on not -ever- tolerating an accidental forced incarceration/treatment rather than incarceration of mentally ill individuals for the greater good of society, and protection for the patients themselves.

Yet somehow we accepted forced incarceration (lockdowns) and coerced medical treatments (vaccine mandates) of the masses for the "greater good" during the pandemic.

• aastra, dasmo and A Girl is No one like this

#24057 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:36 AM

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.10.09-12_35_47.png

What about business and property owners here?  Is it fair to them?  Might be hard to run a retail business or office in this location.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 October 2022 - 08:41 AM.

#24058 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:38 AM

No.

#24059 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:39 AM

Protecting the few for the greater harm.

#24060 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:46 AM

I just submitted another bylaw (tenting) report.

And I received the same generic response as before. If the city can repeat itself so can I. I'll be sending a new report each day from now until the issue is resolved. I encourage others to do the same: https://www.victoria...-violation.html

• A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

phx