Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#24401 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 03:26 PM

Anyway, that's just how I'm feeling about it.

Let's just say it's more than a feeling (as versus nothing more than feelings).

#24402 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 03:29 PM

The mods will be questioning my fealty after that post.

#24403 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 03:41 PM

Fealty is the only reality. No human perceives anything objectively. Our minds render our reality and feelings are a big component of the rendering code.

#24404 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 03:42 PM

Good word. I’m stealing it.

#24405 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 03:51 PM

...I don't think there's anything wrong with feelings. Life wouldn't be worth living without sincere feelings. But I sure don't enjoy this game re: the manipulation of feelings and the encouragement of insincere feelings in service of certain programs and narratives. Feelings of convenience...

https://youtu.be/cv2Jrtale1o

#24406 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 03:56 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Probably because I'm much too young* to remember things like Carol Burnett or the Gong Show.

*in VV forumer years

#24407 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 03:57 PM

Good word. I’m stealing it.

You're filching my phrasings like a felon? Go ahead. I feel nothing at this point.

#24408 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 04:04 PM

Just a reminder: these digressions into clever & amusing wordplay will normally end when somebody posts fresh pics in the development threads.

#24409 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 04:06 PM

Since this is the homelessness thread, does this count?

tents (2).jpg

#24410 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 04:17 PM

You're filching my phrasings like a felon? Go ahead. I feel nothing at this point.

A great artist steals... 

#24411 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 20 November 2022 - 04:49 AM

A shelter set up against the shuttered former Canadian Tire store on Douglas Street burst into flames Saturday morning, blowing out a glass door and sending smoke into the building.

Victoria Fire Department Battalion Chief Doug Carey said no one was hurt. The person who was living in the shelter was gone by the time fire crews arrived about 11:50 a.m.

“He was observed by a passing motorcyclist running away from the scene,” Carey said.

The shelter, which Carey described as “a complete loss,” was made from various material like pallets and tarps, and was so damaged that no investigation could be conducted, he said.

“Somebody reported hearing an explosion, so that indicates possibly a propane cylinder or an aerosol can of some sort.”

https://www.timescol...-street-6129675

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 November 2022 - 04:52 AM.

#24412 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 02:37 AM

Grant McKenzie of Our Place Society estimates there are about 500 people living on the street in the downtown core in tents, make-shift shelters or doorways. Many suffer from mental illness and severe drug addiction.

He said a toxic drug supply on the streets has fuelled mental illness and violence in the community. Repeated drug use and revivals from overdoses damage the brain, said McKenzie, calling toxic chemicals such as methamphetamine a “parasite” that brings compounding trauma that induces violent behaviour.

“Criminality becomes more part of their day to day because they don’t feel there are any consequences,” he said. “In a way, they are calling for help.”

McKenzie said the province’s new plan for mental-health teams “is the first step,” but more is needed to provide the complex care addicts need, including well co-ordinated efforts among health teams and new facilities where they can get off the street and be properly treated.

“We’re seeing a change in people’s behaviour,” he said. “The street community is less of a community than what we were used to [a few years ago] when people would look out for each other. We have to declare drug addiction a pandemic because the death rate is climbing.”

Burghardt said he has witnessed the tragedy of drug addiction unfold around his brake and muffler shop.

“You see these young people, like teens and 20 year olds, start hanging around with these [addicts,]” he said.

“They have cars and, within a month or two, the cars are gone and you see them become one of them. It’s awful.”

https://www.timescol...iolence-6154831

#24413 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 02:42 AM

Homelessness doesn’t always spark criminality

I reported a few weeks ago on the absence of public disorder amongst the homeless population in Portugal. Another reader wrote in explaining that this was because that country finds housing for their unhoused ­people.

However, this is not accurate; my subsequent visits to Porto and Lisbon revealed that there are indeed many homeless in those cities.

However, the extreme civic disorder caused by that group in Victoria is not to be found there.

This is not because Portugal spends so much on housing; indeed, their national budget has nowhere near the money Canada spends to unsuccessfully address the situation.

What they do have is the will to say “no” to the idea that homelessness justifies or entitles antisocial behaviour. Poverty has not been allowed to become an excuse for criminality.

This constitutes a type of social discipline that we have forsaken in Canada, and it helps explain why what is a small problem in Portugal has become such a complicated crisis here.

The homeless crisis is monumental enough without exacerbating its worst expressions, violence and criminality, for dubious reasons.

Michel Murray

Saanich

(Recently back from Portugal)

https://www.timescol...throats-6154812

• Barrrister likes this

#24414 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 06:45 AM

If drug addiction is declared a pandemic, does this mean users can be forced into lockdown and given medical treatment against their will? Perhaps the Feds can bring in the Emergencies Act again to make things all better.
  • aastra and Barrrister like this

#24415 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 06:47 AM

McKenzie:

He said a toxic drug supply on the streets has fuelled mental illness and violence in the community. Repeated drug use and revivals from overdoses damage the brain, said McKenzie, calling toxic chemicals such as methamphetamine a “parasite” that brings compounding trauma that induces violent behaviour.

Yes, repeated drug use is bad. So safe supply and decriminalization maybe is bad too?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 November 2022 - 06:48 AM.

• Midnightly and Barrrister like this

#24416 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:02 AM

I feel for the family here. But this story is missing lots of details we deserve.

Mother of homeless man who died says her son was much more than 'a statistic'

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rison-1.6665898

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 November 2022 - 08:02 AM.

#24417 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:36 AM

Compassion needed, but so is safety

Re: “Victoria businesses mulling moving after random violence ­downtown,” Nov. 25.

I live in the building next to Gregg’s Furniture, at the Bay and Government intersection, and I can attest to the lawlessness we witness every day.

From human feces on the ground to syringes and violent encounters. I think people who do not live around it cannot truly comprehend the impact it has on the lives of all residents and businesses in the area.

After someone attempted to break into my house, I talked to my neighbours, and they also shared with me numerous personal experiences in which they felt threatened and unsafe.

Several women reported being chased and verbally abused, even having to run into an adjacent office building in search of protection.

Let’s have all the compassion we need for unhoused people, but let’s not ignore the safety and health of our streets while we do so.

Bruno Welte

Victoria

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 November 2022 - 05:36 AM.

• Barrrister likes this

#24418 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:37 AM

Whose city is this? It’s time for action

Re: “Victoria businesses mulling ­moving after random violence ­downtown,” Nov. 25.

Does Victoria belong to the taxpayers, the successful business owners, the ordinary working people who are struggling to make ends meet these days, or to the increasing number of mentally ill, addicts and homeless?

Come on, newly elected representatives. Our once safe and beautiful city is becoming a threatening place to go out for any reason at any time.

Urgent action required, health and safety first, for all.

Judith Hodgson

Victoria

https://www.timescol...ng-kong-6170183

• Barrrister likes this

#24419 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 02:59 AM

Because as of Tuesday, there was no warming centre opened by the City of Nanaimo to keep the hundreds living in alleys and doorways out of the cold during the day. No place to keep warm despite the frigid cold, winds and snow of Tuesday’s storm intensifying.

https://www.cheknews...e-need-1117774/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 December 2022 - 03:00 AM.

#24420 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 06:12 AM

Encampments hurting Victoria’s reputation

Re: “Victoria businesses mulling moving after random violence downtown,” Nov. 25.

I was on a river cruise in Spain and Portugal in October, and more than half of the other passengers were from the U.K.

Those passengers I spoke with who had visited Vancouver and Victoria recently, when they found out I am from Vancouver Island, without exception, all mentioned the fact that they were disgusted to see the number of homeless people congregating around the areas where tourists are.

Many of them had visited here before and were appalled at the situation the way it is now compared with their prior visits.

Their comments about the filth and disorder created by these encampments and why it has been allowed to occur left me unable to respond.

The reputation of Vancouver and Victoria as tourist destinations will be in tatters unless something is done to remediate this untenable situation.

Yvonne Andre

Campbell River

• Nparker, grantpalin, Midnightly and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users