Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25933 replies to this topic

#12521 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

Right, so stabbed in the 800-block and made his way east, I assume?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12522 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

Thats what it sounds like. I think there was an article mentioning that VicPD followed the blood trail.

#12523 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

When do the improvements begin:

http://www.victoria....eeson-park.html

#12524 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:47 PM

Ten years ago. How far have we come? Where are we going?

image.jpeg
  • sebberry, Sparky, David Bratzer and 2 others like this

#12525 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

When do the improvements begin

Not soon enough.

• pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#12526 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

Because it doesn't fit Helps' narrative. If people were told that the real desire was to make Victoria the homeless capital of Canada they would not continue to support the 'cause'.

Yes, i am getting very tired of local media essentially acting as ventriloquist's dummies for mayor, council and the local poverty industry. I think even the most naive Victorians are starting to see through the carefully scripted propaganda.

At least the TC did a big investigative follow up piece after someone on Facebook said their homeless fumdrasing story a few months ago was not accurate. Oh, wait, that's right- they didnt bother to follow up.
  • Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#12527 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:59 PM

Ten years ago. How far have we come? Where are we going?

The picture of Sean Dowling on the front page of the Times-Colonist. I remember it. It will never be erased from my memory. I remember Sean. And I also remember the response from his parents, published in the May 12, 2007 edition of the TC:

We are the parents of Sean Dowling, whose picture was featured on the front page of your paper yesterday.

We are the parents who have loved and nurtured him through infancy, childhood and adolescence. We are the parents who advocated for him, who fought for him, who encouraged him and stood beside him.

When it all fell apart, we wept for him, we tore our garments and felt our souls rip apart.

We are the parents who now wait in love for him. Beside us stand his grandmother, his brother, close friends and counsellors who have joined us in our struggle.

Often the homeless are portrayed as victims of emotional, physical or sexual abuse that have driven them to the streets. Sadly, this is the truth in many cases.

However, little has been said about the complex series of events that have led many to the streets. Little is said about those parents who have struggled to do their best for their children and yet find that in the end, their children choose a path they could never have imagined in their worst nightmares.

We are the parents of Sean Dowling. We are here for him.

Gene and Judy Dowling

Edited by David Bratzer, 24 April 2017 - 12:00 AM.

• weirdie, Sparky, jonny and 3 others like this

#12528 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

The TC did remove the article. But Our Place continues to publish the story online and use the man in radio ads.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12529 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:17 AM

^^but the TC used that story to raise funds. Did they ever run a correction notice about it? I think their responsibility requires more than just removing the story online after it was published and available for several days. The story still exists on paper too.
  • pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

#12530 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

I wonder what became of him?

#12531 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:08 AM

http://www.theglobea...rticle34795127/

Hooray. Lindsay, Thunder Bay and Hamilton all have lost of low cost rental housing available. Lets buy a few hundred bus tickets and everyone wins. 

• Nparker, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#12532 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:09 AM

http://www.saanichne...p-the-homeless/

"A campaign to raise money through $2 donations at the Lowe’s Saanich store will go toward renovations at the Victoria Cool Aid Society’s Rock Bay Landing Shelter. The society provides essential services for people dealing with homelessness as part of its mandate to build homes, lives and community, said Erin Gallagher, Volunteer administrator for the Victoria Cool Aid Society."
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#12533 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

I wonder what became of him?

Befriend him and ask him how he is doing   https://www.facebook...3492:1493046674

Edited by HB, 24 April 2017 - 07:15 AM.

#12534 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:15 AM

Yes, i am getting very tired of local media essentially acting as ventriloquist's dummies for mayor, council and the local poverty industry. I think even the most naive Victorians are starting to see through the carefully scripted propaganda.

At least the TC did a big investigative follow up piece after someone on Facebook said their homeless fumdrasing story a few months ago was not accurate. Oh, wait, that's right- they didnt bother to follow up.

The various levels of Government and the poverty industry spend a heck of a lot more on advertising then you or I do so it is not surprising that they get a good deal of editorial comment along with their ads.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#12535 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

http://www.saanichne...p-the-homeless/

"A campaign to raise money through $2 donations at the Lowe’s Saanich store will go toward renovations at the Victoria Cool Aid Society’s Rock Bay Landing Shelter. The society provides essential services for people dealing with homelessness as part of its mandate to build homes, lives and community, said Erin Gallagher, Volunteer administrator for the Victoria Cool Aid Society."

In a lot of cases, that's all that left that will donate, national companies that have dedicated programs, and decision-makers far away.   Too bad Lowe's is not supporting something in Saanich.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12536 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

In a lot of cases, that's all that left that will donate, national companies that have dedicated programs, and decision-makers far away.   Too bad Lowe's is not supporting something in Saanich.

They are matching 50% of donated funds up to a max of $2,000. 

#12537 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:27 AM

Oh well, $4000 will cover Stinson's salary for 10 days.

• pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#12538 Karma2017

Karma2017
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

^^but the TC used that story to raise funds. Did they ever run a correction notice about it? I think their responsibility requires more than just removing the story online after it was published and available for several days. The story still exists on paper too.

and, after the family told Our Place directly that Ian Wicks was lying about his story, and sent in screen shots of the facebook comments the family made saying this article is all lies on the TC 's facebook page where they posted the article, Our Place does this...uses that lying con artist as promo for "Hungry Hearts" fundraiser, and, to rake in more cash for the Easter dinner they put on...

oh, and PS, Our Place deletes any bad reviews on their Facebook page too, so honest and transparent - NOT!

Attached Images

• Screenshot_2017-04-09-21-38-45.png

Edited by Karma2017, 24 April 2017 - 08:53 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#12539 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:17 AM

Ha he still gave them two stars!

Matt.
  • David Bratzer likes this

#12540 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

Ha he still gave them two stars!

Matt.

Grant McKenzie gave them (himself) 5 stars.

• Matt R. and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users