Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25851 replies to this topic

#14681 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:50 AM

Not sure how Stu managed to get rid of them so quickly.  

Perhaps it has something to do with who sets policy and procedures for the RCMP versus Saanich PD?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#14682 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:55 AM

Perhaps it has something to do with who sets policy and procedures for the RCMP versus Saanich PD?

I was wondering the same. Could be as simple as the RCMP already had policy in place.

But I still think the problem was lack decisive leadership.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#14683 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:31 AM

Also, I suspect Langford is not a hill those folks are ready to fight on yet.  Victoria has been tamed, so now they can work on Saanich, which is still close enough to the hub of "services" (legal and illegal) that Victoria provides.  Once Langford starts providing a similar base of "services", I'm sure they'll prep for the legal challenges to bring Stu to heel.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#14684 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:29 AM

I don't know if it's any more complex than the RCMP simply enforce the laws already on the books ... while VicPD and SaanichPD don't.

As noted here in hundreds of posts - it's illegal to camp in a park during the daytime. Proof of that would be if I pulled my truck and camper up onto the grass at Beacon Hill Park (or any other park for that matter), and how long it would take for the cops to come and kick me out on the threat of arrest.

Tent cities are a CHOICE made by politicians and police ... and Uptown tent city survives for the same reasons the courthouse tent city survived ... because local politicians and cops allow it to, perhaps even want it to.

• Nparker, Daveyboy and A Girl is No one like this

#14685 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:21 AM

We went for a walk through Beacon Hill last night, just below the flagpole. Some fellow had quite the large tent set-up just below the flagpole, near a grove of small trees. And here I thought that was not allowed if shelter beds were available. And according to the Our Place spokesman on the day the guy was killed in the dumpster, they have plenty of shelter beds available right now.

• pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#14686 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:43 AM

We went for a walk through Beacon Hill last night, just below the flagpole. Some fellow had quite the large tent set-up just below the flagpole, near a grove of small trees. And here I thought that was not allowed if shelter beds were available. And according to the Our Place spokesman on the day the guy was killed in the dumpster, they have plenty of shelter beds available right now.

But that would mean actually enforcing the law...

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#14687 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:47 AM

Perhaps if the tents had images of Sir John A. MacDonald on them they would be more easily removed from CoV parks.

• Wayne, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#14688 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:19 AM

But that would mean actually enforcing the law...

and that's how it starts and pretty soon we have a lawless society

what's next break and enters and police look the other way?

#14689 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

and that's how it starts and pretty soon we have a lawless society

what's next break and enters and police look the other way?

Of course we have a lawful society. The laws that the mayor agrees with will always be enforced.

#14690 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:28 PM

Abiding by laws is a matter of privilege - if you're privileged enough to pay taxes, you're privileged enough to not have your dog sleep on the sidewalk.

Edited by Awaiting Juno, 09 August 2018 - 12:28 PM.

• Nparker, LJ and A Girl is No one like this

#14691 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:27 PM

All members of society are to abide by the rule of law!

#14692 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

In that little seating area between Broughton St. and Browns the Florist, some guy today had his goods and chattels spread out on one bench, while he tinkered with two bikes by the other bench, one bike being upside down. I'm sure he could ride both at once. A security guy was there telling him to pack up and move on.

#14693 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:06 PM

Doesn't everyone bring a spare bike when they go for a ride?

#14694 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:43 AM

I see a lot of street folks now riding around town on the green rent'a'bikes, sometimes laden with luggage, or sometimes towing some sort of makeshift trailer.

I'm assuming they don't have valid credit cards ... so also must assume that "the street" has devised a successful method of permanently breaking the wheel lock, and perhaps disabling the GPS.

That didn't take very long.

• Nparker likes this

#14695 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:46 AM

Or they have been given free passes to use with the app

#14696 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

I see a lot of street folks now riding around town on the green rent'a'bikes...so also must assume that "the street" has devised a successful method of permanently breaking the wheel lock, and perhaps disabling the GPS...

I am not sure which of these scenarios bothers me more.

#14697 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:08 AM

Not to be contrarian ... but I'm wondering about the reality of a scenario which would include these folks having iPhones, paid up cell phone plans, and internet access with which to download and utilize an app in the first place.

#14698 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:56 AM

Doesn't everyone bring a spare bike when they go for a ride?

They must because when I went out to get the paper at 6 am, a guy was delving into the dumpster next door, after he got off his bike and parked his trailer, which had another bike on top of it!

#14699 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:14 AM

Why is Saanich allowing the tent city by Uptown to remain? Have we learned nothing?

The homeless sure have a lot of time to fight rules and regulations after working a 40 hour work week and looking for an affordable place to live! (sarcastic font)

I seriously want to know, why are we pandering to the homeless?  Why are they above the law?

#14700 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:46 PM

http://www.iheartrad...-case-1.5732146

Disappointing.

Two more weeks granted to the occupation of their 4 months stint, before court case is heard.

More time was required to prepare.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users