Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25923 replies to this topic

#14701 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:00 PM

....More time was required to prepare.

It's not easy to take time out of one's busy life to prepare for a court hearing.

#14702 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:04 PM

Not to be contrarian ... but I'm wondering about the reality of a scenario which would include these folks having iPhones, paid up cell phone plans, and internet access with which to download and utilize an app in the first place.

Some street-entrenched drug users have three or four iPhones plus a laptop or two.  This isn't the case for everyone. But at the same time it's also not uncommon.

#14703 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:06 PM

Not to be contrarian ... but I'm wondering about the reality of a scenario which would include these folks having iPhones, paid up cell phone plans, and internet access with which to download and utilize an app in the first place.

You can come across iPhones easily if you live a life of crime.

#14704 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:12 PM

Some street-entrenched drug users have three or four iPhones plus a laptop or two.  This isn't the case for everyone. But at the same time it's also not uncommon.

Guess we were typing at the same time .
They used to say crime doesn’t pay now that statement is laughably. Not only does it pay but we kiss the a$$ of the criminal as the door closes behind them .

#14705 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

So you folks think that the rent’a’bikes piloted by obvious miscreants of no means ... and towing makeshift trailers around the city at 2:00am have been legitimately rented?

OK.

Edited by Cassidy, 13 August 2018 - 10:17 PM.

#14706 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:11 PM

So you folks think that the rent’a’bikes piloted by obvious miscreants of no means ... and towing makeshift trailers around the city at 2:00am have been legitimately rented?
OK.

Not at all .I think the underbelly of the homeless have a lot more access to iPads iPhones ,tablets ,throw away cel phones and free wifi than some think .

#14707 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:42 AM

U-Bicycle gifted two dozen refurbished green bikes to Anawim House, which is why we're likely seeing more of them being used without the locking mechanism in place.

• Baro likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14708 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:12 PM

Ummmm Not sure what that says about Anawin house. They say no drugs, but I see the folks on the green bikes hanging out at Pandora green all the time, along with the drug dealers and crew.

#14709 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:25 AM

U-Bicycle gifted two dozen refurbished green bikes to Anawim House, which is why we're likely seeing more of them being used without the locking mechanism in place.

Sadly, the cynic in me responds with "gifted - is that what they call accepting stock loss these days."

• Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#14710 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:53 AM

Translation:  free bikes so more money for drugs, booze, smokes, etc, etc

Give stuff to the homeless and all you are doing is enabling them.  What is the old saying - give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime

With the exception of charities that deal with kids, I refuse to give money to any local charities

• spanky123 likes this

#14711 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:54 AM

The old saying is - give a man a fish and that's not the fish he wanted, teach a man to fish and he'll wipe out the fishery so don't let him fish unless it's for traditional or ceremonial purposes and he is part of a specific group.

It's a bit of a wordy saying. so most people use, "Give a man a fish..."

• Lorenzo likes this

#14712 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,834 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:05 PM

Are there any charities specifically set up to teach men to fish?
  • Matt R. likes this

#14713 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:16 PM

I hear charities are big business here, so if there isn't yet... just wait a bit.

Googling a bit didn't find much in the way of actual fishing charities, but did find a interesting bit:

... what happens if the proverbial man loses his fishing pole or the fish somehow run out? If his only knowledge is how to fish to survive, then he is in a precarious situation. Without the tool to fish or the resources in the water, he will starve and die. The benefit of “eating for a lifetime” in the proverb only applies if the conditions never change, which is not realistic. - http://www.nuruinter...-is-not-enough/

#14714 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:56 PM

No, hence they don't get a dime of my money.  Anyone giving money to these charities is continuously allowing the homeless situation to continue.

A friend (no not me lol) did some volunteering at Our Place, cooking in the kitchen, prepping meals, etc.  They quit when they were basically treated as an employee (here is your shift schedule, etc) plus the homeless expected the volunteers to clean up after them like they were eating in a restaurant!

• A Girl is No one likes this

#14715 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

I suggest all of you go down to Anawim and take a tour. It is one of the best agencies in the city. People are there because they wanted to make a change in their life and have succeeded.

A Girl is No One - you are saying that because you saw someone on Pandora with a Green Bike that it came from Anawim? You followed them from there?

There are a lot of useless non-profits in this city that are making a bad situation worse but Anawim stands out as a shining example of what be done through people taking an opportunity and paying it forward.
  • Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#14716 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,834 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

Anawim had 25 bikes donated from u-bike someone said so presumably they are green.

story:  https://www.oakbayne...o-anawim-house/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 August 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#14717 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:36 PM

Maybe the should of painted them a different colour before the donation instead of labeling their brand as they have?
  • Bingo and pennymurphy2000 like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#14718 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:46 PM

I suggest all of you go down to Anawim and take a tour. It is one of the best agencies in the city. People are there because they wanted to make a change in their life and have succeeded.

A Girl is No One - you are saying that because you saw someone on Pandora with a Green Bike that it came from Anawim? You followed them from there?

There are a lot of useless non-profits in this city that are making a bad situation worse but Anawim stands out as a shining example of what be done through people taking an opportunity and paying it forward.

I totally support Anawym’s model.
but If Anawym residents are out there hanging out with drug dealers every night, I can’t help but feel suspicious. Forgive me for being cynical... after having had my eyes opened about the poverty industry and their constant lies, it’s hard not to.

#14719 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

There are definitely places that do good things to help people recover, I'm familiar with several, and donate to them regularly.

Low barrier or other shelters that the poverty pimps run for their own sustenance will never willingly get a dime from me.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14720 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:53 PM

I totally support Anawym’s model.
but If Anawym residents are out there hanging out with drug dealers every night, I can’t help but feel suspicious. Forgive me for being cynical... after having had my eyes opened about the poverty industry and their constant lies, it’s hard not to.

My point is just because people on green bikes are hanging out on Pandora does not mean they came from Anawim House. Those bikes are all over the city.
  • shoeflack likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users