Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#16581 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

They've identified the California building considered for warehousing the homeless: an unused FAA building designed by the famous modernist architect Cesar Pelli. It's located in a residential/industrial neighbourhood so there are no nearby stores or employment opportunities. 

One lesson we've learned is when you do this, you create a concentration of crime. Also, the building gets slowly destroyed. Imagine the Johnson Street building x10. Thousands of people. 

Edited by Rob Randall, 17 September 2019 - 02:56 PM.

• Love the rock likes this

#16582 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

there are no nearby stores or employment opportunities out at gordon point but some "homeless looking" person attacked a woman out there at 2:30am recently so it must still be a desirable area to them.

#16583 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:23 PM

They've identified the California building considered for warehousing the homeless: an unused FAA building designed by the famous modernist architect Cesar Pelli. It's located in a residential/industrial neighbourhood so there are no nearby stores or employment opportunities. 

not so sure.  the circle is 200m radius.

just out of the map about 500-600m to the northwest is a while slew of chain and independent restaurants and stores.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 September 2019 - 03:26 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#16584 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:54 PM

I’m not saying it’s all to do with Ms Helps at all . Some of it is her fault in my opinion.
When homeless from Sask with mental health issues arrived she welcomed them with open arms on the news .When campers flooded the courthouse lawn she told them they did a good job and gave them rewards . She also decided to pay them for their opinions.The money just walked out the door.People with addiction issues are looking for ways to make their lives easier.Lets face it they already struggle daily with getting high . We have provided an easier option especially if people feel they’ve worn out their welcome where they live now . We give them art lessons ,pet care ,all the food they will ever need ,clean needles somewhere safe to get high on and on and decent weather.
We also give them a sense of community in the downtown streets. We don’t make any of this difficult.You go to work to and pay taxes right or wrong to support this .
I think the mayor is partly to blame because of her naive attitude on the issues. Addicts are masters at manipulation ,it’s part of addiction. Helps seems to be distancing herself from the homeless lately after opening the flood gates . It’s not all her fault I do put part of the blame on her .

Wasn’t her PHD work (never completed) on homelessness?
You are kind and forgiving. I myself tried very hard to demonstrate to her through research and actual results that the low barrier housing is not the be all and end all that she touted. She was adamantly not interested in the facts. I don’t think she is that innocent. I’m thinking that she may be distancing herself from that bring it on attitude for her future career goals.
  • Love the rock likes this

#16585 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:14 PM

Trump, a few minutes ago:

Trump says homeless people are living in "our best highways, our best streets, our best entrances to buildings" where people pay "tremendous taxes" and want "prestige." Says he's speaking to tenants who "want to leave the country." He adds: "We'll be doing something about it."

Let's face it, the primary problem that bothers us is the visual aspect of homelessness. Other politicians dance around the subject.

He talks about these PEOPLE like they’re weeds. How many veterans are on the streets? How many people who are mentally ill? I don’t know what the solution is. All I know is it’s getting worse. I remember when we had a few “drunks” downtown, now it has ballooned into an issue that seems impossible to solve

#16586 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:27 PM

Because tent cities are so great and safe for everyone...

Increase in weapon seizures and violent crimes has the Vancouver Police renewing safety concerns around Oppenheimer Park.

“The park was home to hundreds of homeless people this summer, and while residents received bylaw notices to leave the tent city in August, many have stayed.”

“In my 30-plus years with the VPD, I have never seen such high numbers of weapons seized in one district alone,” Chow says in the release. “The numbers almost average out to one gun seized each day so far this year. I am also very concerned about the high levels of aggression we are seeing towards police.”

https://news.google....l=CA&ceid=CA:en

Edited by A Girl is No one, 19 September 2019 - 04:51 PM.

#16587 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:50 PM

Over the last week there has been an increase in the number of shelters that have been set up on the government owned land at Saanich and Blanshard. 6 tents can now clearly be seen from the road and there was a poor fellow with no shoes and no shirt doing some crazy dance moves on the sidewalk. He looked high as a kite and it is a miracle he didn't wander into the busy morning rush hour. Sad.

#16588 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:03 PM

I had to drive my husband to a medical appt. this morning and saw the tents there. Also the fellow across from the London Drugs on Yates Street had his tent door open and was eating breakfast. When we were headed up Vancouver St., just before we got to the MacDonalds, I was watching the traffic light and out of the blue three people pushing their goods on carts came right into the road in front of me headed, I imagine, up to Our Place. Yikes! With so much else to watch at that intersection, it was a bit startling.

#16589 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:43 PM

...When we were headed up Vancouver St., just before we got to the MacDonalds, I was watching the traffic light and out of the blue three people pushing their goods on carts came right into the road in front of me headed, I imagine, up to Our Place...

Sounds like the kind of "messy" at least one local elected official really likes.

• rmpeers likes this

#16590 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:18 AM

Chrissy Brett is on Global news this morning talking about Oppenheimer Park. She is claiming that all is fine and good there. She says the police etc, have it all wrong.

#16591 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 02:52 PM

Gee, that sure sounds familiar. Same speech, different park. 

• Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#16592 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:17 PM

She's on brand, as always.

#16593 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:13 AM

Majority of homeless support workers are women: Statistics Canada Report

https://www.vicnews....-canada-report/

in other breaking news most nurses hairdressers and elementary and preschool teachers are women too.

#16594 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

OUR PLACE OPENS NEW VICTORIA SHELTER TO MEET GROWING DEMAND

https://www.iheartra...mand-1.10013448

Am I missing something here or is our 'solve homelessness' plan not working here?
  • Nparker, Midnightly and pennymurphy2000 like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#16595 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

they just magically found space for 35 in their basement.

#16596 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

they just magically found space for 35 in their basement.

But...

Increasing demand does not seem like we're going in the right direction.
  • todd likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#16597 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:54 AM

when you offer increased free services demand follows.

Besides the sleeping mats, for the first time ever Our Place is offering hot showers in the evenings, seven days per week at the winter shelter.

"A hot shower is so important for both physical and mental health,” said Evans. “And we have fantastic volunteers who scrub the showers after every use so that people are entering a clean space. It is just one of the ways that we show dignity and respect for the people we serve.”

https://vancouverisl...emand-1.4612583

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 September 2019 - 08:54 AM.

#16598 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:16 AM

when you offer increased free services demand follows.

Besides the sleeping mats, for the first time ever Our Place is offering hot showers in the evenings, seven days per week at the winter shelter.

"A hot shower is so important for both physical and mental health,” said Evans. “And we have fantastic volunteers who scrub the showers after every use so that people are entering a clean space. It is just one of the ways that we show dignity and respect for the people we serve.”

https://vancouverisl...emand-1.4612583

After every use seems a bit excessive and a bit of a waste of volunteer resources.  Showers at the rec centre aren't "scrubbed after every use"...and maybe, just maybe, would it be too much to ask the person showering to clean up after themselves?  I mean, really.

• spanky123, grantpalin, DavidSchell and 4 others like this

#16599 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:19 PM

^We don't ask them to do anything else how could we possibly impose cleaning up after themselves on them.

• DavidSchell likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#16600 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:05 PM

^We don't ask them to do anything else how could we possibly impose cleaning up after themselves on them.

C'mon we all know that consistently doing folks work for them motivates them to want to do it themselves. I wonder if we are paying them the $15 an hour to at least watch the volunteers.

Edited by spanky123, 03 October 2019 - 08:05 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1), Facebook (1)