Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25925 replies to this topic

#18381 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:51 AM

Some say the problems were being addressed and fixed, and things were going well.

Then 2014 happened.

And then 2018 happened.  Really pre-2014, I'd happily go for that level of dysfunction at this point.  It's almost idyllic now in retrospect - how few homeless there were then, how much cleaner things seemed.

• Nparker, Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#18382 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:54 AM

And then 2020 happened. We’ll look back at this year as a pivotal turning point.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18383 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:57 AM

What I fear is looking back on the CoV in 2020 as the good times.  :eek:

• rmpeers likes this

#18384 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:58 AM

What I fear is looking back on the CoV in 2020 as the good times. :eek:

Like to think your wrong, but then I also didn't think voters were misogynist enough to reelect a mayor who covered up sexual harrassment... sadly, the mayor's takeaway from that was "lying is good. Lie more."
  • Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#18385 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:10 AM

What one has to remember is that like Trump supporters, members of this council have rabid fans who think they can do no wrong, however illogical or generally destructive those councilors' actions may be.

• aastra, Taj and rmpeers like this

#18386 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 11:56 AM

...like Trump supporters, members of this council have rabid fans who think they can do no wrong...

Anyone who worships politicians as false idols will subscribe to the same belief. How many times have we endured "pro-peace" or "pro-human rights" or pro-anything politicians who eventually bend over backwards to justify war or some other abusive or contemptible program? Their idolaters will never rebuff them after the 180-degree turn. On the contrary, their supporters end up loving them even more (because otherwise they would have to admit that they were deceived, and that's a very tough pill to swallow for a lot of people).

Heck, when I'm getting philosophical I find myself wondering if this is the ultimate purpose of politics in spiritual terms. Time and time again we're deceived into supporting wolves in sheep's clothing, but later the wolves will come right out and admit what they are (no more deception, in other words -- the truth is plainly laid out for us), and then we have to make our choice re: walking away from it or consenting to it. If you decide to remain invested in it then you reveal to yourself and others just how much regard you have for the truth.

It really does seem to be a scripted process for all political figures who achieve any standing or notoriety anywhere in the world.

• Nparker likes this

#18387 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:18 PM

It really does seem to be a scripted process for all political figures....

Really, just consider this. What are the odds that my longstanding political principles would be all about preventing cruelty to manatees, and that my path to political prominence would be all about preventing cruelty to manatees, and that my supporters would love me as a noble & heroic crusader for preventing cruelty to manatees... and then at some point in the future I'm embroiled in a scandal re: cruelty to manatees and I end up doing a flagrant 180-degree turn on ALL of my supposed principles?

If that sort of perfect reversal were to happen even a handful of times in the history of politics it would be quite amazing. And yet it seems to happen for every single political figure who achieves any standing or notoriety? What are the odds?

Why does it always have to be an overwhelmingly in-your-face 180-degree betrayal? You can insert pretty much any political drama here and it will typically involve the complete and total incineration of the purported principles. No need to waste time with evasive equivocation, they just sink the ship outright in very deep water and dare you to believe that it's still floating. Any yet many people will want to believe that it's still floating.

Anyway, something to chew on. Now back to your regularly scheduled posting...

#18388 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:20 PM

I do believe it's all deceptive and that its about nothing more than than a paycheck and free lunch for people who may not be able to find such lucrative employment outside the CoV council chamber.

I see people who display zero interest in representing Victoria's citizens. They are here for themselves and to robotically follow whatever orders emanate from their UVic bosses.

It actually seems unfair that Victorians bear the brunt of the ideology that emanates from UVic, the epicentre of elite priviledge in Saanich.
  • jsan, Taj and newbie_01 like this

#18389 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

I do believe it's all deceptive and that its about nothing more than than a paycheck and free lunch for people who may not be able to find such lucrative employment outside the CoV council chamber.

I see people who display zero interest in representing Victoria's citizens. They are here for themselves and to robotically follow whatever orders emanate from their UVic bosses.

It actually seems unfair that Victorians bear the brunt of the ideology that emanates from UVic, the epicentre of elite priviledge in Saanich.

It might have something to do with prestige, power and control .

A story of a backyard compost seller comes to mind .

#18390 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:36 PM

It's the participation medal generation, what should we expect?  Everyone gets a home just because - it doesn't matter what a person did or didn't do, everyone gets one.  Shelter alone isn't good enough, and it doesn't matter how it gets paid for as long as other people pay.  And that home must be in Victoria, anything less simply won't do - we can't have a world where people's choices matter.  Those who "earned" their homes and pay taxes should be punished for being privileged.     

I think you're right. In my day, if you wanted to win the 100 yard dash, you had to run your heart out. Kids that won those races, we admired them and thought they were terrific. We didn't feel bad because WE didn't win the race. We enjoyed all the free junk food that schools handed out on sports day, then went to try the egg and spoon race.

Thankfully some "young people", (in their thirties now) have worked hard to get what they have today.

Saw a tent set-up right on Dallas Road, next to that new bike lane or walking path, whatever it is. I said to my husband, oh nice, a seaview. I have to look at an apt dumpster from my couch.

Edited by mbjj, 05 July 2020 - 02:38 PM.

• Nparker and Taj like this

#18391 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:25 PM

Just had to pit this here: « stubborn peacock claims entrance to Victoria apartment as mating ground, refuses to leave« 
🤣

https://news.google....l=CA&ceid=CA:en

#18392 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:24 PM

Well UVic does give out two scholarships named in honour of Mao Tse Tung so should we be surprised when we get commies graduating and teaching there.

I mean dear old Mao just killed 45 million of his own people so he's got to be OK, right?

• A Girl is No one likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#18393 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:21 PM

^Interesting. I had to look that up. UVic uses some choice weasel words in order to preserve this outdated yet lucrative donation:

Mao Tse Tung Memorial Course Award
An award is given to a student who has completed at least 3 courses on China and/or Overseas Chinese Studies. The Mao Tse-Tung Memorial Course Award was funded through a bequest from the late Mr. Bill Scott in 1979-80 to promote the study of modern China at a time of enormous transition under the leadership of Mao Zedong. The naming of these awards serves as a reminder of the powerful, often difficult forces that have shaped contemporary China. Departmental and specific criteria awards.The University of Victoria is strongly committed to respecting the wishes of donors and honouring its past decisions with regard to both the name and purpose of the awards they fund. At the same time, it actively encourages recipients to reflect on the period and historic influences that these awards represent.

I think that if you hate cancelling Aunt Jemima and statues or racist white folk you have to be fair and allow an award in memory of a genocidal commie. Mind you, Bill Scott was held prisoner in a Japanese concentration camp so I feel I should cut him a bit of slack but a dictator's a dictator whether left or right.

Myself, I think UVic should rename the award, even if it risks being revoked by the donor. I would be sincerely interested to know what Ben Isitt and other prominent UVic offspring think of it.

• newbie_01 likes this

#18394 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:39 PM

....I would be sincerely interested to know what Ben Isitt and other prominent UVic offspring think of it.

Communist dictators are only genocidal in pursuit of the greater good. They can be forgiven, unlike Sir John A. MacDonald whose role in Canadian history must be scorned and erased.

• Mike K. and jsan like this

#18395 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:13 AM

About the peacocks. One has taken up residence at the Fairfield plaza. Someone on Facebook wondered if the peacocks were fleeing the park because their nesting area, up behind the petting zoo, has now been disturbed and they can't comfortably roost there at night. I think we should claim peacock abuse to the city.

• A Girl is No one, newbie_01 and Victoria Watcher like this

#18396 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:00 AM

Peacocks are a settler bird... I'm sure the CoV council would rather see them "go back to where they came from".

• Nparker likes this

#18397 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:02 AM

Although if the birds are now theoretically homeless, the council should be finding them permanent housing...

Quite the conundrum! Not native, so go away. Not native but homeless, stick around and have free stuff!

• Nparker, mbjj, Taj and 2 others like this

#18398 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

A homeless camp set up at Ed Macgregor Park will remain as long as necessary, says Mayor Maja Tait.

https://www.vicnews....ution-is-found/

Under a B.C. Supreme Court ruling, the district cannot tell the homeless population to leave unless they have somewhere else to go. To forbid the camp would go against the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Supreme Court rulings supersede bylaws, which gives Sooke’s homeless population the right to stay put.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 July 2020 - 03:20 PM.

#18399 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:44 PM

Sooke is preparing a property for homeless persons that up until recently was a gym. It’s on Otter Point Road adjacent to the town hall, in fact. I’m not sure what the deal is, however, as in whether it’ll be leased to the town or a housing agency, or whether it’s been purchased by the province.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18400 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:51 PM

From the same article. At least they have one honest councillor there:
“If you want change, create a crisis, and this is what has happened here. « 
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users