• Please log in to reply
25855 replies to this topic

#18481 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:41 PM

Definitely.

I’m told this was a motion without notice and the proposal
To study as a temporary homeless shelter included about 8 other things to study but the TC latched onto the drastic headline.
The building itself is in very bad shape and requires a lot of deferred maintenence to get it suitable for any use. Oak bay will run a process over the next 12 months over future of facility. They’d like to see it have senior and dementia care. Some affordable or rental housing and some market housing.
No one thinks this goes to a temporary shelter. It’s not zoned for housing. It’s zoned for hospital use and so temporary housing would be a violation of zoning There let alone proximity to city.
City should continue its strategy of buying hotels w BC housing and province.

So Downtown Victoria should continue its conversion into a homeless hub? May I ask where you live? I would wager not in downtown Vic. If you think the hotel approach works then there’s nothing wrong with converting Oak Bay lodge into homeless housing as well.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 09 July 2020 - 04:42 PM.

• Kyjen likes this

#18482 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:49 AM

The Oak Bay Mayor was on CFAX this morning. Oak Bay Lodge is not going to be used as a homeless camp. 

#18483 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:13 AM

The Oak Bay Mayor was on CFAX this morning. Oak Bay Lodge is not going to be used as a homeless camp. 

So which CoV hotel/motel is next on the auction block?

#18484 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:15 AM

I bet that there are a good number of vacant rooms in the Legislature building currently... why not house some #MostVulnerable there?

#18485 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:33 AM

I noticed that Mt. Edwards has spent a lot on entirely new landscaping. I wonder why? My mum was in there briefly and there was a lovely garden in the central courtyard. Isn't grass along the front of the building good enough?

#18486 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:14 AM

Why not? Oak Bay doesn't own the building.

They had their chance to build a new multi level seniors facility and the neighbours freaked out. Pretty sure they aren't going to love their new neighbours.

As I mentioned before, this has been on their radar for a long time. 

Check out this article from 2016. https://www.timescol...loses-1.2240509

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps believes the Oak Bay Lodge site would be an excellent candidate for redevelopment for social housing.

“A CRD-owned property is an easy one because the ownership structure is such that the CRD can do the work, basically, as the developer,” Helps said.

#18487 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:17 AM

I noticed that Mt. Edwards has spent a lot on entirely new landscaping. I wonder why? My mum was in there briefly and there was a lovely garden in the central courtyard. Isn't grass along the front of the building good enough?

And as with at least another cool aid facility (sandy Merriman) they got a way overbuilt wood pergola. Obviously cool aid has « friends » in the business... donors perhaps? Made me wonder if the poverty pimps have to follow a transparent procurement process when handing out these contracts paid for by tax payer money. I’m hoping it’s just a nice company that is giving the materials and labour for free,so transparency would be excellent to demonstrate that.

#18488 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:18 AM

I bet that there are a good number of vacant rooms in the Legislature building currently... why not house some #MostVulnerable there?

Or Uvic! Lots of room in the dorms, plenty of outdoor space for those who prefer to shelter outdoors, convenient transit hub, fantastic rec facilities, outdoor moviee nights, health clinic on site, dining hall, and the most important part, they will be surrounded by all their supporters! Win win. 

• Nparker, LJ, SimonH and 4 others like this

#18489 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:25 AM

Also more importantly, Oak Bay only has 1 vote on the CRD. If the Province buys the building, BC Housing can do whatever it likes. This is how we ended up with a Cool Aid owned and operated Mt. Edwards, and Central Care Home operated by the Portland Housing Society. Both facilities were way past their prime and were deemed unsuitable for seniors to live it due to asbestos, no seismic or handicapped upgrading etc. 

#18490 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:09 AM

Why not? Oak Bay doesn't own the building.
They had their chance to build a new multi level seniors facility and the neighbours freaked out. Pretty sure they aren't going to love their new neighbours.
As I mentioned before, this has been on their radar for a long time.

Check out this article from 2016. https://www.timescol...loses-1.2240509

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps believes the Oak Bay Lodge site would be an excellent candidate for redevelopment for social housing.

“A CRD-owned property is an easy one because the ownership structure is such that the CRD can do the work, basically, as the developer,” Helps said.

I guess this was maybe a desperate attempt to distract from Beacon Hill Park but, to no great surprise, it failed. People are catching in to the scam, I think.

Man, if someone cut a secret deal to elevate the mayor to an MLA candidate next election, they must have some serious heartburn right now.

#18491 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:19 AM

Or Uvic! Lots of room in the dorms, plenty of outdoor space for those who prefer to shelter outdoors, convenient transit hub, fantastic rec facilities, outdoor moviee nights, health clinic on site, dining hall, and the most important part, they will be surrounded by all their supporters! Win win. 

And, the older dorms are made entirely of concrete, so they are largely f*ckery-proof!

OTOH, that's pretty much in my back yard, so perhaps not! :)

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#18492 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:33 AM

Also more importantly, Oak Bay only has 1 vote on the CRD. If the Province buys the building, BC Housing can do whatever it likes. This is how we ended up with a Cool Aid owned and operated Mt. Edwards, and Central Care Home operated by the Portland Housing Society. Both facilities were way past their prime and were deemed unsuitable for seniors to live it due to asbestos, no seismic or handicapped upgrading etc. 

The location would have to be rezoned for housing. Oak Bay controls that.

#18493 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:35 AM

I guess this was maybe a desperate attempt to distract from Beacon Hill Park but, to no great surprise, it failed. People are catching in to the scam, I think.

Man, if someone cut a secret deal to elevate the mayor to an MLA candidate next election, they must have some serious heartburn right now.

Which is pretty much what the Oak Bay Mayor said politely. 

Take a contentious file like housing and homelessness and give it to Helps. Horgan make look at it as an easy way to have someone else take the heat without the prospect of anything meaningful being delivered and costing them money.

#18494 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:18 PM

Few are using UVIC presently so why on earth have they not put their hand up to fill the empty dorms and classrooms.  They are the ones cheering this all on.

Bunch of hypocrites. 

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#18495 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:55 PM

This is a good thing . We don’t need anymore housing for homeless right now .Sadly it won’t solve a thing .
We now have more homeless  than we did after we housed all the homeless at the courthouse .
This was not successful.
With big businesses like OurPlace and Lisa’s style of government  it’s already an up hill battle to control the influx of homeless.
Low income housing with rules and codes of conducts no more low barrier housing throughout Greater Victoria .

• Taj, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#18496 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:26 PM

The city needs to step up any make people who camp  pack up like other muni .

• Nparker, Taj, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#18497 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

From the TC just now.

The City of Victoria is seeking a court order to require people sheltering in Beacon Hill Park to relocate to less vulnerable locations within the park.

The application, filed Friday in B.C. Supreme Court, seeks an order that would require people to shelter only in permitted areas of the park and prohibits anyone from sheltering in sensitive areas designated under the city’s Parks Bylaw.

#18498 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:21 PM

I was discussing the area of Beacon Hill near Michigan Street with my brother as our mum used to live there. He mentioned this to me as he lives in the Lower Mainland: It was interesting that Burnaby didn’t have a problem with homeless people. It was because they didn’t provide any shelters or free housing.

My friend and I took a walk around the park perimeter today. We got an ice cream from the drive-in and walked over to sit on the bleachers. Two guys tenting nearby said hi to us, so we said hi back. They seemed friendly. Two bylaw officers came by to talk to them. I thought one was a COV officer as the uniform looked the same but I could see a CRD emblem. Do they carry weapons? Some of the tents near Douglas St. seemed to be getting a slight shower from a sprinkler. Also near the Arbutus Drive entrance, two more bylaw officers, wearing different uniforms (tan shirts?). Also in that vicinity was a strange sound, like the crackle of a fire, but I think it was someone breaking up boards. It was that sort of snap crackle sound.

#18499 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:45 AM

While Murdoch voted in favour of undertaking the review of how to use the lodge for temporary uses, he made it extra clear in a long post to his mayoral Facebook page on Thursday that he has not voted in favour of turning Oak Bay Lodge into a homeless shelter. He wanted to clarify the situation, he said, because he has received so many emails on the topic.

“I understand that Lisa Helps has confused this point in some media comments, including linking Beacon Hill Park homeless to this motion, something that was not raised in discussion on the motion, and which I feel is needlessly creating division and anxiety as the board seeks information,” Murdoch wrote Thursday.

On Friday, Murdoch said he’s not in favour of low barrier housing at the Oak Bay Lodge but still agreed it is something worth studying.

“I object to characterizing this as approval for a homeless shelter in Oak Bay when there’s is already a process underway,” Murdoch told Black Press Media.

https://www.vicnews....-oak-bay-lodge/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 July 2020 - 02:46 AM.

#18500 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:52 AM

NIMBY

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)