Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25933 replies to this topic

#18501 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:17 AM

While Murdoch voted in favour of undertaking the review of how to use the lodge for temporary uses, he made it extra clear in a long post to his mayoral Facebook page on Thursday that he has not voted in favour of turning Oak Bay Lodge into a homeless shelter. He wanted to clarify the situation, he said, because he has received so many emails on the topic.

“I understand that Lisa Helps has confused this point in some media comments, including linking Beacon Hill Park homeless to this motion, something that was not raised in discussion on the motion, and which I feel is needlessly creating division and anxiety as the board seeks information,” Murdoch wrote Thursday.

On Friday, Murdoch said he’s not in favour of low barrier housing at the Oak Bay Lodge but still agreed it is something worth studying.

“I object to characterizing this as approval for a homeless shelter in Oak Bay when there’s is already a process underway,” Murdoch told Black Press Media.

https://www.vicnews....-oak-bay-lodge/

whoa, I hope he's not accusing Mayor Helps of being less than entirely truthful... that's just impossible... I just won't believe it...
  • Nparker, mbjj, Taj and 1 other like this

#18502 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:32 AM

The way this was reported in the media intimated Helps secured unanimous approval for her idea, and she communicated how thrilled she was that it received that much support. The way the whole thing was framed was that this was a done deal, and that she had secured housing for individuals camping at Beacon Hill Park.  The media was none the wiser and not a single reporter asked, or at least didn't report, what the vote meant, and what the implications of the vote actually were. The message was Oak Bay Lodge = homeless shelter and COVID hospital.

• pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18503 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:05 AM

The way this was reported in the media intimated Helps secured unanimous approval for her idea, and she communicated how thrilled she was that it received that much support. The way the whole thing was framed was that this was a done deal, and that she had secured housing for individuals camping at Beacon Hill Park.  The media was none the wiser and not a single reporter asked, or at least didn't report, what the vote meant, and what the implications of the vote actually were. The message was Oak Bay Lodge = homeless shelter and COVID hospital.

Fool me twice ...

Shame on the CRD board for allowing Helps to pull off this stunt. How many times has she done the same thing in the past? This is why CTJ and MA tried to stop her by banning last minute motions because this is what she does. She introduces a last minute motion, everyone is confused, nobody has had a chance to think the implications through and then Helps claims victory and makes the approval out to whatever she wants.

The solution here is very simple and I have said this in the past. If council cannot stop last minute motions then the answer is to vote against every one of them regardless of merit on the basis that they won't tolerate her actions and want time to do their jobs and properly review materials. If actions are consistent then the inevitable cries of racism won't stick and Helps will quickly have to change strategies. The alternative is consistently being made to look like a fool and having to defend yourself in the media after the fact.

• LJ, jsan, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#18504 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:09 AM

From the TC just now.

The City of Victoria is seeking a court order to require people sheltering in Beacon Hill Park to relocate to less vulnerable locations within the park.

The application, filed Friday in B.C. Supreme Court, seeks an order that would require people to shelter only in permitted areas of the park and prohibits anyone from sheltering in sensitive areas designated under the city’s Parks Bylaw.

Here is a thought.

What if Helps' plan is to have City council "throw the case" and get what is effectively court approval for the encampment?!

If Hinkson takes the case then I am worried.

Edited by spanky123, 11 July 2020 - 10:10 AM.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#18505 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:21 AM

Here is a thought.

What if Helps' plan is to have City council "throw the case" and get what is effectively court approval for the encampment?!

If Hinkson takes the case then I am worried.

I wouldn't put anything past them. Always safe to assume that whatever they say they are doing, they are really up to something else.
  • Nparker, jsan, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#18506 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:40 AM

I wouldn't put anything past them. Always safe to assume that whatever they say they are doing, they are really up to something else.

Just saw her latest Twitter post.

City Seeks Injunction to Protect Sensitive Ecosystems While Respecting Human Rights of People Living Without Homes

Sounds like my hunch may be right after all. While respecting human rights means having the court rule they can stay in the park?

Perhaps Dr. Henry has finally told Helps to stop inferring that she is giving permission for the encampments and now Helps wants to be able to blame a judge!
  • pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#18507 JimV

JimV
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:31 PM

It’s a CYA move by Helps.

If court rules in favour, then a sanctioned permanent encampment results, just relocated to another part of BHP, probably the gravel playing field.  This what she wanted in the first place.

If court rules against, then boo-hoo, the court made us do it.  They can camp anywhere they want.

• Nparker, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#18508 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:11 PM

Although, the other board members just quietly voted. None abstained, which they have a right to do. None raised any issue. Someone seconded the motion.

Murdoch should have been the first to raise this as an issue but he voted for “more information.”
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18509 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:29 PM

If court rules in favour, then a sanctioned permanent encampment results, just relocated to another part of BHP, probably the gravel playing field.

Yep, commandeer a chunk of the park to "save" the rest of the park. It's the same old game, just dressed differently for the issues du jour.

• Nparker, jsan and Awaiting Juno like this

#18510 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:30 PM

Like I say, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they eventually propose semi-permanent or even permanent buildings. I'd actually be surprised if it doesn't happen in the next couple of years.

• jsan likes this

#18511 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:54 PM

Friends of Beacon Hill Park need to intervene in the case ASAP and they need a litigator.  Bottom line - do not trust Helps & Co., they do not care who they hurt in the process of achieving their objective, which seems to be "Victoria, BC - National Host of Canada's Homeless".  On a national scale, each community larger than 5,000 needs to set aside shelter beds to accommodate .5% of their populations, and be held to report on occupancy.  Communities with spare occupancy should be able to accept clients from communities with excess occupancy - have a system where "local homeless" are given first dibs on shelter beds.  Then work with the clients to identify treatment needs, and work towards rehabilitation and transitional housing with a goal of "self-sustainable" living within 2 years.  The enabling has to stop, and criminals need to be treated like criminals so that the ill and down on their luck can find their feet again.

#18512 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:57 PM

...Bottom line - do not trust Helps & Co. - they do not care who they hurt in the process of achieving their objective...

This is just sound advice regardless of the proposal.

• Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

#18513 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:21 PM

Friends of Beacon Hill Park need to intervene in the case ASAP and they need a litigator. Bottom line - do not trust Helps & Co., they do not care who they hurt in the process of achieving their objective, which seems to be "Victoria, BC - National Host of Canada's Homeless". On a national scale, each community larger than 5,000 needs to set aside shelter beds to accommodate .5% of their populations, and be held to report on occupancy. Communities with spare occupancy should be able to accept clients from communities with excess occupancy - have a system where "local homeless" are given first dibs on shelter beds. Then work with the clients to identify treatment needs, and work towards rehabilitation and transitional housing with a goal of "self-sustainable" living within 2 years. The enabling has to stop, and criminals need to be treated like criminals so that the ill and down on their luck can find their feet again.

Juno, that’s an excellent concrete and doable solution (with some political will). Thanks.

#18514 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:56 PM

i can't help but think this soo typical helps we should have predicted it... she just had to get her way... it's a complete repeat of topaz park, how years ago she said there would be a tent city in topaz park even said "it is a done deal" then reluctantly back peddled when there was a huge backlash.. but she never forgot wanting that organized tent city at topaz park and the first chance she got she used Covid as an excuse to set it up... it was meant to be controlled meant to be safe... it lasted what a month before helpers refused to enter due to their own safety...

while setting up her dream topaz park she said she was going to use Beacon hill park area as a secondary camp... but the province came down quick on her with that one and slapped her hand saying no... to me this is feeling very repeat.... people were quietly told to go to beacon hill park when the other two camps were cleaned up... more and more tents started showing up.. and now... she has her beacon hill tent city!

• Nparker and jsan like this

#18515 Lost password

Lost password
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:14 PM

i can't help but think this soo typical helps we should have predicted it... she just had to get her way... it's a complete repeat of topaz park, how years ago she said there would be a tent city in topaz park even said "it is a done deal" then reluctantly back peddled when there was a huge backlash.. but she never forgot wanting that organized tent city at topaz park and the first chance she got she used Covid as an excuse to set it up... it was meant to be controlled meant to be safe... it lasted what a month before helpers refused to enter due to their own safety...

while setting up her dream topaz park she said she was going to use Beacon hill park area as a secondary camp... but the province came down quick on her with that one and slapped her hand saying no... to me this is feeling very repeat.... people were quietly told to go to beacon hill park when the other two camps were cleaned up... more and more tents started showing up.. and now... she has her beacon hill tent city!

#18516 Lost password

Lost password
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:22 PM

more and more tents started showing up.. and now... she has her beacon hill tent city!

And she had the John A Macdonald removed to placate her indigenous friends. Do they not realize that she is the Mayor, representative of Queen Victoria who gave him authority?

She is the one who should be removed from her position of Mayor of the City named after this colonial oppressor?

Maybe a protest around her BnB residence for  freedom and affordable accomodations for her peons..Shheeite...what a fake POS alphanumeric person. Her and Durkin from Seattle have handcuffed the police, hope they don't need 911!

#18517 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:14 AM

The homeless have far more agency in solving their problem than they'd like to imagine, in fact, their problems can't be solved by others and must ultimately be solved by themselves.  Yes, they need help, but its not the help that they imagine they need.

• rjag, jsan, Taj and 2 others like this

#18518 JimV

JimV
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:04 AM

The homeless have far more agency in solving their problem than they'd like to imagine, in fact, their problems can't be solved by others and must ultimately be solved by themselves.  Yes, they need help, but its not the help that they imagine they need.

Juno, could anything induce you to run for office?  Byelection coming up one of these days.  We could really use another adult on council to keep Geoff Young company.

• Nparker, Love the rock and Freedom57 like this

#18519 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:37 AM

I hope that whichever decent candidates run, they can coordinate so as not to split the vote and let another Together Victoria (talk about false advertising) candidate join Ben and Jeremy's Defund Police and Increase Crime cult.
  • Nparker, jsan, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#18520 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:36 PM

No. We are all in on Stephen Andrew this coming election. Others are welcome in 2022.

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, Greg and 5 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users