Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25855 replies to this topic

#19741 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:29 AM

As to the 'few barriers to employment' lack of housing is a barrier to employment.

i hear this an awful lot.  but i do not believe it's necessarily true.

i do not expect a homeless person to immediately drop into an office job.  but if i run a painting or demolition or salvage company if you show up for work and work hard i do not mind where you live.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 September 2020 - 08:31 AM.

#19742 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:31 AM

This study, about under-employment, British based, released this year:

Results

In the National Child Development Study (N = 6,295), propensity score estimates indicated that the hours-underemployed workers experienced higher levels of psychological distress (β = 0.25, p <0.001) than full-time workers matched on observable characteristics, including prior distress levels. Fixed effects estimates using 18 years of the British Household Panel Survey (N = 8,665) showed that transitioning from full-time employment to underemployment predicted an increase in distress levels (β = 0.19, p <0.01). Conversely, transitioning from underemployment to full-time employment forecasted a reduction in distress (β = -0.18, p <0.001). On average, job earnings and perceptions of job security explained a small (≈ 10%) portion of the potential psychological impact of hours-underemployment.

Conclusions

These findings highlight the possibility that underemployment among part-time workers may have detrimental psychological consequences. Policy interventions geared towards improving career opportunities for part-time workers would potentially ameliorate losses in psychological well-being experienced by this group.  LINK https://www.scienced...277953619306367

#19743 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:32 AM

Addicted and mental health go hand-in-hand and there most certainly are single mothers living in the various camps around town.  Their children are with family or social services.  Do not think for one minute a single mom with issues gets top priority - they do not especially if the child/children are well placed.  That mom is left for the garbage heap. 

but women make up such a small portion of homeless (15%?).  how can this be true?

i have said this here before.  let's find out what makes women so effective at avoiding homelessness and let's see if we can apply the principle to more men.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 September 2020 - 08:34 AM.

#19744 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:33 AM

i do not expect a homeless person to immediately drop into an office job.  but if i run a painting or demolition or salvage company if you show up for work and work hard i do not mind where you live.

Of course you do not believe it is necessarily true.

#19745 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:34 AM

but women make up such a small portion of homeless (15%?).  how can this be true?

Just breathtaking. 

#19746 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:41 AM

...As to the 'few barriers to employment' lack of housing is a barrier to employment.

Presumably then, all the people the province has housed over the past several months have either found gainful employment or are in programs that will assist them in getting jobs in the near future.

• Barrrister likes this

#19747 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:45 AM

Just breathtaking. 

what i'm saying viresidnet is that such a tiny tiny fraction of the population is homeless.  we are so close to solving it yet never do.  let's get to the very roots.

#19748 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:46 AM

Presumably then, all the people the province has housed over the past several months have either found gainful employment or are in programs that will assist them in getting jobs in the near future.

we all know that's laughably not true.

yet this is the plan we put in place.

#19749 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:14 AM

we all know that's laughably not true...

I trust people understand my statement above was meant to be sarcasm.

#19750 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:17 AM

oh I do.

but that’s what I mean. none of us for one second think that the “housing first” model of giving all these people hotel rooms has lead them on the track to sobriety and employment. even 1% would be a surprise if now on that trajectory,

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 September 2020 - 11:18 AM.

#19751 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:29 PM

but that’s what I mean. none of us for one second think that the “housing first” model of giving all these people hotel rooms has lead them on the track to sobriety and employment. even 1% would be a surprise if now on that trajectory,

The housing first models I see Victoria pointing to, especially those in Europe, are based on a significant support structure (7 support personnel for 20 that are housed).  It seems like we have cherry picked what portions of housing first we would like to see, because it avoids a difficult conversation with those that are currently unhoused. 

• martini, David Bratzer, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#19752 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:19 PM

^ Of course they cherry pick. You won't find people leaving needles on street corners or pooping in parks in Northern Europe because societal norms are that everyone needs to contribute. There is no 'harm reduction' because it is accepted that living your life in a stupor is not ok. 

The folks in care or shelter in Europe need to be there and then society can focus its efforts on those who really need it as opposed to being rewarded for every incremental life they ruin.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#19753 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:01 PM

The housing first models I see Victoria pointing to, especially those in Europe, are based on a significant support structure (7 support personnel for 20 that are housed).  It seems like we have cherry picked what portions of housing first we would like to see, because it avoids a difficult conversation with those that are currently unhoused. 

We seem to have more "housing only" than housing first, and really it's more of a "warehousing" model where people are enabled to hang out with the dozens of people that encourage them to continue their lifestyles.  A half-way house model with 5-7 sharing housing and a "house mentor" would be far more effective.

• Nparker, martini, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#19754 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:12 PM

We were in a cafe the other day and overheard a conversation between an older rough looking guy and two rough looking skateboarders. He was asking them if they wanted work, he was paying $20 for labourers. They declined. He asked if they had any friends that might be interested. Nope. CERB the greatest gift to laziness coupled with drug use equals no employees.

• GaryRanson and TwilightZoneVictoria like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#19755 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:57 AM

We seem to have more "housing only" than housing first, and really it's more of a "warehousing" model where people are enabled to hang out with the dozens of people that encourage them to continue their lifestyles. A half-way house model with 5-7 sharing housing and a "house mentor" would be far more effective.

Bingo. In my old 'hood there was a halfway house and at least two recovery houses. You would never know they were there. Well organized supportive. I had a family member go through about 20 years ago. Still clean today. He said it was the house that saved him. But it was structured and had rules.
  • Rob Randall, Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and 4 others like this

#19756 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:52 AM

Bingo. In my old 'hood there was a halfway house and at least two recovery houses. You would never know they were there. Well organized supportive. I had a family member go through about 20 years ago. Still clean today. He said it was the house that saved him. But it was structured and had rules.

3 years ago we created a recovery house in View Royal. It has never had more than a half of the spaces occupied. Our public health 'officials' have telegraphed that being a junkie and living in a state of stupor is fine and that you will be supported as long as you want. In fact if you remain a junkie you will get better treatment and more free stuff then if you try to get better and become productive again. 

We have created an environment where the less effective a poverty pimp is at helping people the more money they get paid. Until we change that mindset then things will only continue to get worse.

• Nparker, LJ, martini and 7 others like this

#19757 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:09 AM

The recent rebranding of safe consumption sites is interesting, they are now called "overdose prevention sites" and in the cushy rebranding they are attempting to quash protests against the location of these sites.  Not wanting a safe injection site close to schools seems reasonable.  Yet, these protesters are also going to be painted as NIMBY.  I'm beginning to wonder when exactly do we experience a movement focused on creating safe streets and parks?

• A Girl is No one, rmpeers and Barrrister like this

#19758 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:18 AM

Right now that movement is to move to the suburbs.

• martini and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19759 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:53 AM

Just heard that both Central Park and Beacon Hill Park flood in the winter time.

Is that true?

If so then perhaps the mini tent city issue we're having will solve itself over winter. Presuming that a good portion of the numbers are recent inbounds. 

#19760 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

The recent rebranding of safe consumption sites is interesting, they are now called "overdose prevention sites" and in the cushy rebranding they are attempting to quash protests against the location of these sites.  Not wanting a safe injection site close to schools seems reasonable.  Yet, these protesters are also going to be painted as NIMBY.  I'm beginning to wonder when exactly do we experience a movement focused on creating safe streets and parks?

NIMBY has been a bad word as nobody wants to be called that for things such as getting more neighbours or having extra shade in their yard due to a taller development nearby. 

But seriously who does want to have untreated mentally ill and addicted people screaming on their street? Or to find uncapped drug needles on the ground? Or to wash human sewage away from their doorway? Or to experience a measurable increase in crime including B&Es? Who wants to come home to someone in their home, refusing to leave, and destroying their possessions?

And if there's any well-off donors to the cause calling anyone a NIMBY or saying we're not compassionate enough the first thing I want to know is where do they live. If they're living in Oak Bay, Saanich they've got no credibility.

• Midnightly, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users