Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25840 replies to this topic

#19781 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:41 AM

Yep sounds like it was a failed effort on their part.

Check out their Twitter account. A guy who seems to be pretty vocal about homelessness etc has started eating at him. Accused him of being a wife beater. Think there's an ever growing number of people who don't side with them.

#19782 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:07 PM

Check out their Twitter account. A guy who seems to be pretty vocal about homelessness etc has started eating at him. Accused him of being a wife beater. Think there's an ever growing number of people who don't side with them.

When B Dean turns on him, that's not a good sign.

#19783 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:20 PM

When B Dean turns on him, that's not a good sign.

He's on Twitter now suggesting that the poor and homeless shouldn't face consequences when breaking into parking garages.  I wonder if he'd feel the same if he had his chopper stolen? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#19784 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:35 PM

You have to laugh at the Liberals complaining about the NDP warehousing homeless people in hotels. Where do you think the NDP got the idea from in the first place? The Liberals started it so they should hardly be complaining when others follow suit. It was a terrible idea then and it is a terrible idea now. 

• Nparker, martini and A Girl is No one like this

#19785 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:29 PM

But maybe the liberals might do things differently now? Obviously the NDP is deeply invested in this approach and I don’t see them changing course any time soon.
Smart move by the liberals.

#19786 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:01 PM

But maybe the liberals might do things differently now? Obviously the NDP is deeply invested in this approach and I don’t see them changing course any time soon.
Smart move by the liberals.

I would be stunned if any provincial government was willing to push back against the issues of people moving here to feed the ever-growing poverty industry.

#19787 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:09 AM

Park camper 'terrorized' common-law partner daily for six months

The couple was provided housing in the Travelodge at 123 Gorge Rd. East, one of the hotels leased by the province as emergency housing for people living in homeless encampments.

But the assaults continued — there were so many complaints about Miller’s abuse of the victim that he was barred from the building, said Pearson. That didn’t stop Miller, who continued to come into the building and physically assault and threaten the victim, the prosecutor said.

https://www.timescol...nths-1.24209564

#19788 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:30 AM

I see homeless/street couples arguing Downtown all the time--yelling and pleading with each other as they walk down the street. I think people, including facility managers, just tune it out thinking these people are just doing what any other couple does, just publicly and at a higher volume.

It does not surprise me an abusive person can get away with this.

• martini likes this

#19789 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:20 AM

There’s a lot of that going on behind closed doors of nice suburban homes, in penthouse condos and everything in between. Domestic violence of this kind is a sad part of our society. Who here doesn’t know of a couple that’s dysfunctional in that way? Or two couples? Three or four? Talk to police, they’ll tell you it’s a big part of their job to attend to calls from neighbours who have to experience that aggression from behind a wall or next door.
  • martini likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19790 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:28 AM

^ Agreed....sadly there are people like this housed and unhoused.   My worry is the oversimplification, whitewashing and generalization of an entire group by our CoV council "intellectuals" end up providing cover for this type of thing to continue.  

Defence lawyer Stephen Suntock, who has represented Miller since 2014

McKimm said Miller’s serious history of violence is an aggravating factor in the case — of his 12 prior convictions for assault

• martini likes this

#19791 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:30 AM

Defunding police ought to help.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19792 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:33 AM

12 assault convictions. my knuckles would be wrecked by then.

#19793 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:43 AM

There’s a lot of that going on behind closed doors of nice suburban homes, in penthouse condos and everything in between. Domestic violence of this kind is a sad part of our society. Who here doesn’t know of a couple that’s dysfunctional in that way? Or two couples? Three or four? Talk to police, they’ll tell you it’s a big part of their job to attend to calls from neighbours who have to experience that aggression from behind a wall or next door.

I certainly agree Mike but the issue I have with this report is that we are told that these hotels have 24x7 "wrap around support". So how does someone who is barred from the building then freely come and go and assault an occupant continuously? Either we are being lied to when we are told that these buildings are being supervised, or somehow the police are powerless to do anything when they are called to deal with the trespass and abuse.  

• Nparker, martini, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#19794 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:47 AM

I don’t think supports were included for all of these buildings, and not the leased properties. They’re being managed more or less as hotels without supports. That’s what the Liberals are campaigning on, that the NDP just flooded buildings with people without infrastructure to support them.

Can someone confirm if that’s the case? Admittedly so much has happened since this became a thing that it’s a little confusing.
  • martini likes this

Know it all.

#19795 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:50 AM

I don’t think supports were included for all of these buildings, and not the leased properties. They’re being managed more or less as hotels without supports. That’s what the Liberals are campaigning on, that the NDP just flooded buildings with people without infrastructure to support them.

Can someone confirm if that’s the case? Admittedly so much has happened since this became a thing that it’s a little confusing.

According to reports at the time, SOLID was contracted to manage the Travelodge site.

• martini likes this

#19796 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:36 AM

According to reports at the time, SOLID was contracted to manage the Travelodge site.

It makes sense then that chaos reigns there. What more would you expect from an agency that encourages illicit drug use and addiction?

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#19797 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:40 AM

Defunding police ought to help.

As a survivor of domestic violence, the above article literally brings me to tears. 

It upsets me she apparently had no support within the community, 

She had no support or protection where she was placed with her abuser. 

The judge seems naive that a serial abuser could be capable of genuine remorse. 

The reality is, there is nothing stopping him from killing her. 

What does defund mean to people? I'd like to know. 

My understanding it is not simply abolition. My understanding is it's

funding the very social supports to take pressure off the police. 

Police are overworked and overburdened dealing with the social issues

that aren't being funded and supported. I'm sure many officers are demoralized

watching the endless revolving door. 

I think defund was an unfortunate term to use. If we could re-fund the services

we need in order to relieve the police to do what they were mandated to do instead. 

In the end it was VicPD who helped me bring charges which finally ended the cycle of abuse. 

I think they have come a long way and have done a lot of work in handling domestic violence. 

Del Manak appears to be a very positive influence for the dept. 

That said...no dept or force is created equal. There are certainly changes that need to happen

on both sides of the border for many reasons. Pretty sure Manak said himself...we can do better. 

#19798 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:40 AM

If that's the case, that would be like asking the DVBA to manage a shopping centre.

Know it all.

#19799 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:44 AM

As a survivor of domestic violence, the above article literally brings me to tears. 

It upsets me she apparently had no support within the community, 

She had no support or protection where she was placed with her abuser. 

The judge seems naive that a serial abuser could be capable of genuine remorse. 

The reality is, there is nothing stopping him from killing her. 

What does defund mean to people? I'd like to know. 

My understanding it is not simply abolition. My understanding is it's

funding the very social supports to take pressure off the police. 

Police are overworked and overburdened dealing with the social issues

that aren't being funded and supported. I'm sure many officers are demoralized

watching the endless revolving door. 

I think defund was an unfortunate term to use. If we could re-fund the services

we need in order to relieve the police to do what they were mandated to do instead. 

In the end it was VicPD who helped me bring charges which finally ended the cycle of abuse. 

I think they have come a long way and have done a lot of work in handling domestic violence. 

Del Manak appears to be a very positive influence for the dept. 

That said...no dept or force is created equal. There are certainly changes that need to happen

on both sides of the border for many reasons. Pretty sure Manak said himself...we can do better. 

Defund means exactly what it means. People are confused over its meaning because lobbyists are working hard to convince you that defund means something entirely different, but it fundamentally doesn't.

The woman in the case above is surrounded by social services and social workers, and lives in a social services-managed building, operated by the government. Those services do not appear to have done much for her, and cannot not even protect her in her own home. The only justice and protection she experiences is when police arrive to deal with the violent man.

• A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.

#19800 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:48 AM

Think of "defund not meaning defund" as Helps promising us housing-first would save the taxpayer money and reduce crime. These programs and agendas always promise a lot, but the execution never materializes as promised.

Now that the housing-first agenda is firmly entrenched and too big to fail, we are being told we need more front line social workers, because that is the solution, and we can free up monies from police budgets to invest into social work. Except it won't work that, because social workers are not the law, and they are defenceless against violent people, and it's violent people who are responsible for 90% of police code-3 response activity in the first place.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users