Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#13841 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

And on the roommates issue, it would be interesting to see what proportion of available units are more than one bedroom. 

If you have a roommate, spouse, significant other, partner or whatever... if the other person snores you need more than one bedroom.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#13842 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

It certainly does. Units are becoming smaller and rents are rising.

This is why so many 20 year olds live at home.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13843 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:12 AM

Anyone seen the roving campers or have they packed it in for the time being.

#13844 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:32 AM

That mess they left behind in OB really hurt their cause. I think even she has to realize at this point she is doing more harm to her cause than good. The media has lost interest and is no longer reporting on them. Time to move on, for good this time. 

• Bingo, Love the rock, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#13845 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

...The media has lost interest and is no longer reporting on them... 

I think this is the key.

• GaryRanson, Love the rock and pennymurphy2000 like this

#13846 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

It looks like they got bounced in their West Shore move.

.....hopeful in a mulligan/redo on our turbulant move to view royal, colwood and Langford....bumpy start and now balls in their court....can we create some restorative justice btwn our community and authorities or will they waste $100 000 on legal bills instead of having a meaningful conversation while continuing to insist they have no money on for services or ppl......

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13847 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

It looks like they got bounced in their West Shore move.

Good luck with that. Even pro-bono lawyers only really care about media attention. Once that is gone then adios.

• Nparker likes this

#13848 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

Anyone seen the roving campers or have they packed it in for the time being.

Chrissy Brett and the Tent City tourers now in Colwood, where they have received a rapturous welcome.

https://www.peninsul...nds-in-colwood/

#13849 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:29 PM

Chrissy Brett and the Tent City tourers now in Colwood, where they have received a rapturous welcome...

If they've been raptured does that mean they've ascended above and are now God's problem?

• Love the rock, Midnightly and Lou_76 like this

#13850 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:18 AM

I see the Rev. Al bus stop ads are back.

Seems sort of odd, though, in the #metoo era.

#13851 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:30 AM

Folks, it's time to write and call Central Saanich politicians. At the peak of the opioid crisis, with DOZENS of people dying on the Island EVERY MONTH, with homelessness at an all-time high, partly due to the housing crisis, Central Saanich is taking steps to close a SOBER, drug-free recovery centre that even nearby residents do not object to.

It's a 78-hectare farm, with only 6 residents.

We need EVERYONE in the entire region that thinks this is awful, to CALL or write TODAY.

Council:

✪ Mayor Ryan Windsor - 250-885-8539

✪ Councillor Alicia Holman - 250-893-5070

✪ Councillor Bob Thompson - 250-652-4691

✪ Councillor Carl Jensen - 250-858-6532

✪ Councillor Christopher Graham - 250-686-9047

✪ Councillor Niall Paltiel - 250-514-8429

✪ Councillor Zeb King - 250-508-4645

Administration:

✪ Liz Cornwell, Corporate Officer - 250-544-4202

✪ Patrick Robins, Chief Administrative Officer - 250-544-4201

Woodwynn Farms residents plan to defy eviction order

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 December 2017 - 07:31 AM.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13852 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

^ I have nothing against Richard but he should be able of enforcing a minimum level of safety. If someone had been injured in that trailer fire then you can get your bottom dollar that they would have been suing the muni for damages. 

#13853 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

...At the peak of the opioid crisis, with DOZENS of people dying on the Island EVERY MONTH, with homelessness at an all-time high, partly due to the housing crisis, Central Saanich is taking steps to close a SOBER, drug-free recovery centre that even nearby residents do not object to....

But the opioid crisis is strictly an urban issue dontcha know? Plus treatment and abstinence are not the preferred methods of "harm reduction", so the professional social agencies likely don't support the Woodwyn model.

#13854 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

^ I have nothing against Richard but he should be able of enforcing a minimum level of safety. If someone had been injured in that trailer fire then you can get your bottom dollar that they would have been suing the muni for damages. 

Woodwynn Farms should be relocated. Sell the land and purchase a new farm somewhere other than one of the most expensive property markets in the country.  Maybe to a place where Richard can actually follow the zoning rules and bylaws. Providence Farm in Duncan doesn't seem to have these problems.

• Bingo likes this

#13855 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

As a Facebook comment said:

Ken Kowalski Its incredible, it's ok to live in tents on public land, but not ok to live in RV's on private land. We are a f****d up society.

Edited for family viewing by Sparky

• Nparker, Midnightly, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#13856 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:15 PM

Adam Olsen met the Woodwyn people today.  FACEBOOK VIDEO:  https://www.facebook...74847415894781/

#13857 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:12 AM

Central Saanich Mayor Ryan Windsor recused himself from council discussions about Woodwynn Farms Monday night when it became known he has been sheltering a friend in a bus on his Wallace Drive property for a couple of months.

“My wife and I provided shelter on a temporary basis to a friend,” Windsor said Tuesday. “She was fixing up a bus with the intent of taking it somewhere or travelling in it. Because of the perception, I determined it was not appropriate for me to continue to be involved, so I recused myself from the council table.”

Richard Leblanc, founder and executive director of Woodwynn Farms addiction treatment centre, said the irony of the situation is enormous.

“It’s through the roof,” said Leblanc, who attended the council meeting. “I appreciated his comment, that he was just trying to help out a friend. And that was the comment I made to mayor and council. I get it. That’s what I am trying to do. We’re both trying to help people and can we please work together and find solutions.”

http://www.timescolo...iend-1.23127434

#13858 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

So, what's the count now of CRD mayors who are total hypocrites? Or is that just a pre-requisite to becoming a mayor?

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Cassidy like this

#13859 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:22 AM

So you have to wonder, how did the issue of the mayor housing a friend in a bus on his property even arise?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13860 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:24 AM

So you have to wonder, how did the issue of the mayor housing a friend in a bus on his property even arise?

Somebody knew, they called him out on it, likely privately or online, and seeing such, the Mayor had to make a move.  I see the quoted part by the Mayor does not exactly say that he's going to kick the guy/gal(?) (who is fixing the bus, the Mayor's wife, or the tenant?) onto the streets.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 December 2017 - 10:25 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users