Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25855 replies to this topic

#13901 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

"Single Use Bag" sounds more like a blues song.

Or a truly awful "my girlfriend done left me" country song.

#13902 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

Yet another "program" that taxpayers have to pay for.

https://www.vicnews....t-homelessness/

The goal of the new program is to get a handle on factors that could result in evictions, in order to keep families safely housed. Strengthening life skills, developing better coping strategies and building independence are vital for people in the transition from homelessness to stable housing, where Pacifica would like to see them stay.

“A lot of people just get used to a pretty low level of quality of life,” O’Coffey says. “And that’s the sad reality, there’s never enough money and there’s never enough food.”

Working with families she’s found that support services are often activated only after an extreme crisis or when homelessness is imminent. She says that’s reflective of a pretty big problem that we have in Victoria. “It’s okay to ask for support when it’s just a little bit hard.”

Funding for the program is a joint effort between Pacifica, the City of Victoria, United Way and the Victoria Real Estate Board.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13903 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

Yet another "program" that taxpayers have to pay for.

https://www.vicnews....t-homelessness/

Well that’s interesting because I would wager that more than 50% of the population here and elsewhere would fall in the category of needing help because things are a little bit hard... where does it end?

#13904 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

VicPD say they arrested three individuals at a supportive housing facility in the 700 block of Pandora (Coolaid?) for drug dealing. Always nice to know my tax dollars go to provide free housing and food and easy access to a client base to drug dealers. Of course there are dealers in there. There are dealers in every one of these facilities. Then we wonder why things keep g tying worse. Grrr.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 29 January 2018 - 12:28 PM.

• rmpeers likes this

#13905 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

Bus driver addaulted by a man with mental health episode outside of Cool Aid’s Queen Manor...

#13906 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:35 PM

Fire at CoolAid’s SRO @ 700 Pandora yesterday...

https://www.vicnews....h-severe-burns/

#13907 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:43 PM

^That's the old apartment building beside John's Place restaurant on Pandora, across the street from the new Jawl office building.

#13908 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:36 PM

^That's the old apartment building beside John's Place restaurant on Pandora, across the street from the new Jawl office building.

There's going to be hell to pay if John's Place is in any way damaged.  :drillsergeant:

#13909 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:31 PM

VicPD say they arrested three individuals at a supportive housing facility in the 700 block of Pandora (Coolaid?) for drug dealing. Always nice to know my tax dollars go to provide free housing and food and easy access to a client base to drug dealers. Of course there are dealers in there. There are dealers in every one of these facilities. Then we wonder why things keep g tying worse. Grrr.

Is anyone here really surprised?  I've said it before - free housing = more money for drugs, free meals = more money for drugs, free clothes = more money for drugs, heck free socks and underwear so you don't have to spend $4 on laundry = more money for drugs....and the list continues

PATHETIC, PATHETIC, PATHETIC.  I don't give any money to churches or charities any more and no one here should either.  Its just enabling the problem, its not solving it.  What are we doing to get these people back into productive roles, get them jobs, get them real apartments, etc, etc?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#13910 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:24 PM

Well the "activists" seemed to get awfully angry whenever police showed up at the Central Care Home, police persecution and so on. Couldn't have had anything at all to do with interupting the lucrative drug trade, could it?

#13911 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:54 PM

What are we doing to get these people back into productive roles, get them jobs, get them real apartments, etc, etc?

That's not part of current programming.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13912 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:44 AM

^ok and why not?  Or is the plan just to spoon feed them and keep them on government subsidies until they die?

#13913 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:50 AM

Employment is at a record high. At the same time we increased welfare payments by $100.

There is no plan or encouragement to move people out of supportive housing. I have friends that work for both Portland Hotel and Cool Aid. They confirm.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 February 2018 - 07:50 AM.

#13914 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:02 AM

Employment is at a record high. At the same time we increased welfare payments by $100.

There is no plan or encouragement to move people out of supportive housing. I have friends that work for both Portland Hotel and Cool Aid. They confirm.

All we are doing is confirming the belief that a guaranteed minimum income does not lift anyone out of poverty. The more free stuff you provide, the less incented people are to work. All that we are going to do is create more low income people as we tax the marginal to provide the subsidies.

Edited by spanky123, 04 February 2018 - 11:03 AM.

• Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#13915 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

I do worry we are evaluating the success of these programs by the pervasiveness of the most hopeless cases, the basket-cases we see every day and we shake our heads. I'm sure there are those that got their act together and are living in market housing and are considered success stories. Their stories aren't reported often and on the rare occasions they are, they get torn apart on social media because their lives aren't squeaky clean and flawless like ours.

Edited by Rob Randall, 04 February 2018 - 11:16 AM.

#13916 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

If that's the case, wouldn't we see these organizations promoting some kind of a success rate to show the public who funds the programs/services how effective they are?

• Midnightly, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13917 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

I do worry we are evaluating the success of these programs by the pervasiveness of the most hopeless cases, the basket-cases we see every day and we shake our heads. I'm sure there are those that got their act together and are living in market housing and are considered success stories. Their stories aren't reported often and on the rare occasions they are, they get torn apart on social media because their lives aren't squeaky clean and flawless like ours.

I am not drawing conclusions from individual cases. I am looking at the increasing numbers of people we are supporting financially in an economy where anyone with two feet can get a job. I accept that there are many people who will never be able to work unsupported, but that does not represent the majority of people I see downtown asking for money or camping out. 

• Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#13918 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:50 AM

I agree, if there were success stories the agencies would be advertising them non stop saying look what we can do if you just give us money, blah, blah, blah.  The reality is I haven't seen them so I find it hard to believe they exist

The reality is the homeless are leaches and will suck up every free service you give them and never appreciate it.  Any idiot can get a job in this economy as long as you show up.  Heck there are back of house positions where being clean, showered, etc don't even matter like in a warehouse.

Is this ever going to become a major political issue where its debated in public between the major parties?

#13919 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:41 PM

Wonder if we’ll ever hear the results of our dear leader Helps’ billeting of homeless people by seniors living alone program....
  • Love the rock likes this

#13920 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

If that's the case, wouldn't we see these organizations promoting some kind of a success rate to show the public who funds the programs/services how effective they are?

From the Coalition's latest Annual Report:: Their goal was to house 50 individuals experiencing chronic homelessness; they claim that in fact 111 total individuals experiencing chronic homelessness were housed.

It would be helpful to drill deeper into those stats: how stable were they after being housed? How many returned to the street? How many transitioned into market housing.

• Nparker and On the Level like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users