Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#13941 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

Tell me more about this clinky dish nightmare...
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13942 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:54 AM

...apart from the occasional clink of dishes, the sounds of running water, and a rent cheque once a month,

Better that than the occasional clink of rent cheques, the sounds of running dishes, and water once a month.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#13943 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

500 more units at UVic might alleviate some of the problem - but it depends on what the core cause of the problem is.  Is it unaffordable and unavailable housing or is it "difficult to house" people.  Part of it is the former, where good people wind up marginally housed (couch surfing, etc.). But some of it is the latter, landlords are loathe to rent property (rightfully so) to risky tenants.  This is particularly true in semi-shared housing situations (ie. basement suites) - you are not going to invite iffy lifestyles to be in close proximity to you.  So ultimately, how are those who are marginal tenants rehabilitated to be acceptable tenants?  There needs to be halfway houses and life skills, and ultimately access to treatment for addiction issues.  There may also need to be some reassurances (ie. insurance and recourse to eviction) to enable people to accept a marginal tenant.   

• Nparker, Midnightly and pennymurphy2000 like this

#13944 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

500 more units at UVic might alleviate some of the problem - but it depends on what the core cause of the problem is.  Is it unaffordable and unavailable housing or is it "difficult to house" people.  Part of it is the former, where good people wind up marginally housed (couch surfing, etc.). But some of it is the latter, landlords are loathe to rent property (rightfully so) to risky tenants.  This is particularly true in semi-shared housing situations (ie. basement suites) - you are not going to invite iffy lifestyles to be in close proximity to you.  So ultimately, how are those who are marginal tenants rehabilitated to be acceptable tenants?  There needs to be halfway houses and life skills, and ultimately access to treatment for addiction issues.  There may also need to be some reassurances (ie. insurance and recourse to eviction) to enable people to accept a marginal tenant.   

I think you've mentioned elsewhere that you won't run for public office, but perhaps you could reconsider.  This one paragraph provides more insight and more of a path to at least a partial solution to some of our housing issues than I've witnessed these past few years from any of our public representatives, or that have come forth from the round tables, task forces, action groups,committees and coalitions that meet and meet and meet and plan and plan and plan but never actually do anything.  You would lose the whole social justice warrior class with the "difficult to house" term as you can't label or stigmatize anyone for their own behavior these days, as it's not their fault of course.  But you'd make up the votes with anyone else who has half a brain.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, LJ and 4 others like this

#13945 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:44 AM

I think you've mentioned elsewhere that you won't run for public office, but perhaps you could reconsider.  This one paragraph provides more insight and more of a path to at least a partial solution to some of our housing issues than I've witnessed these past few years from any of our public representatives, or that have come forth from the round tables, task forces, action groups,committees and coalitions that meet and meet and meet and plan and plan and plan but never actually do anything.  You would lose the whole social justice warrior class with the "difficult to house" term as you can't label or stigmatize anyone for their own behavior these days, as it's not their fault of course.  But you'd make up the votes with anyone else who has half a brain.

you'd have my vote! there needs to be a level headed person running this city.. and that is certainly not helps

• Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#13946 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

Live, work, play on a downtown Vancouver sidewalk.

I have always been intrigued with what goes on in a larger city, especially Vancouver. Maybe it is a glimpse into the future of what is in store for us here on the island.

I was there again yesterday and what struck me most was the nonchalant attitude of the pedestrian traffic to the plight of the homeless. Like it was normal. Like it was to be expected. This hapless sole cleverly constructed his abode out of a couple of shopping carts, a bike, some cardboard, and a tarp. His cardboard sign pleading for money provided his income while he surfed the net on his phone via the WiFi from the adjacent A&W, all while keeping dry under his roof.

The sign in the window next door said “Help Wanted”.

0472A583-4F31-49DC-B26B-BCFEF812AECF.jpeg

• A Girl is No one likes this

#13947 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:19 AM

So there will indeed be another homeless count this spring here in Victoria. Wonder what it will turn up.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13948 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

Funny that Cushman & Wakefield were able to supply this person with an umbrella, but unable to assist with anything more substantial in terms of real estate services.  ;)

#13949 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

So there will indeed be another homeless count this spring here in Victoria. Wonder what it will turn up.

Whatever predetermined data is needed to support the current narrative.

• Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#13950 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:38 PM

Today as a matter of fact. Stay tuned.

#13951 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:11 PM

Why do these counts happen now and not at the peak of summer?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13952 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Why do these counts happen now and not at the peak of summer?

I think you'd choose a colder weather month to show how people are sleeping outside because they really have no option.  In summer, maybe people choose outside instead of troubled room-mates etc.

#13953 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

Vancouver counted theirs yesterday.

#13954 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

I think you'd choose a colder weather month to show how people are sleeping outside because they really have no option.  In summer, maybe people choose outside instead of troubled room-mates etc.

Also keeps it out of tourist site. It will be a zoo downtown tonight.

#13955 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

Vancouver counted theirs yesterday.

Good just a right amount of time to hop on a ferry cross
the pond for a Victoria’s count .
Maybe they should rent a bus wouldn’t want anyone to miss the opportunity.
  • VicHockeyFan and A Girl is No one like this

#13956 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

The counts generally include, but distinguish between, sheltered and unsheltered individuals. But yes, a summer count might include a number of people who otherwise have an option but choose to be in a downtown park, for instance.

#13957 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:47 AM

According to CFAX, there was a fire at the Johnson St. facility overnight. Oh boy.

#13958 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:32 AM

I really have to ask, how long does the government expect this building to last at the current rate?

#13959 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:29 AM

According to CFAX, there was a fire at the Johnson St. facility overnight. Oh boy.

CBC Radio said the fire was pretty much out by the time firefolks arrived, because the burning stuff had been tossed out the window.

Person responsible has apparently been evicted.

#13960 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

Whatever predetermined data is needed to support the current narrative.

Spent the last while talking with people who volunteered for the count last night. The count was well organized and data was properly accounted for and reviewed. There was a big improvement over the count two years ago. Credit to Volunteer Victoria, the sponsors and the people who organized the event.

There were two groups being counted, sheltered and unsheltered. The general consensus was that the sheltered count was pretty thorough as staff at the facilities informed their clients in advance of the count and most were motivated to answer a few questions and get their $5.

The unsheltered count was not as comprehensive (compared to two years ago) from what I heard. The problem was that there were fewer volunteers, promotion of the count within the unsheltered community was not as effective, many volunteers showed up late, and the search areas where much larger. The general belief was that there were a fair number of people who were not counted. I would be hard to do year over year comparisons on the unsheltered population.

The questions were about the same as two years ago and responses were similar with one exception. This is anecdotal but the people I spoke with said that about 25% of the individuals they surveyed were new to Victoria (past 12 months). The most common reason given for moving was the availability of services and that some shelters here allowed 24 hour access whereas shelters elsewhere generally kicked people out during the day. 

Edited by spanky123, 16 March 2018 - 09:26 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users