Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25965 replies to this topic

#13961 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:32 AM

Ya, that's what we should strive for, right?  24 hour a day care for individuals.  I'm fine with that for some of the most severe cases, but not the rest.

Does anything positive happen at 844 Johnson during daylight hours?

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13962 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:50 AM

...The most common reason given for moving was the availability of services and that some shelters here allowed 24 hour access...

Proof that just adding more shelter space in the CoV is never going to solve the homeless problem. It has to come with programs to move people into self-managed housing, otherwise it is just warehousing the mentally ill (like in days of old), where the only treatment is self-medication with street drugs.

• Midnightly likes this

#13963 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

I spent some time at the Super 8 facility today. Gosh golly it didn’t seem much different from 844.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13964 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:52 PM

Why does that surprise you?

#13965 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

I suppose because we don’t hear about it as much that I assumed it was a facility that catered to a different demographic. I assumed wrong.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13966 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

And how long before the Tally-Ho makes it a trifecta of failure?

#13967 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:09 PM

I suppose because we don’t hear about it as much that I assumed it was a facility that catered to a different demographic. I assumed wrong.

The Super 8 is also low barrier. It is in more of an industrial area so the neighbours don't complain about the sirens as much I guess.

#13968 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:12 PM

I suspect the car dealership next to Tally Ho will employ an all-night security guard.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13969 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

Just when you thought that US politics couldn't get any crazier, have a gander at this idea for the homeless.

https://www.theguard...e-with-shotguns

#13970 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

Just when you thought that US politics couldn't get any crazier, have a gander at this idea for the homeless.

sounds like a very sound idea! give mentally unstable people, and people with addictions guns and free ammo! that doesn't sound like a dangerous at all  :whyme:  :whyme: 

• Nparker likes this

#13971 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:37 PM

What could possibly go wrong...

#13972 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:37 AM

The Super 8 is also low barrier. It is in more of an industrial area so the neighbours don't complain about the sirens as much I guess.

They don't complain, they just quietly leave. Ministry of Children and Families that was on Nanaimo Street has relocated to Chatterton Way. 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#13973 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

Spent the last while talking with people who volunteered for the count last night. The count was well organized and data was properly accounted for and reviewed. There was a big improvement over the count two years ago. Credit to Volunteer Victoria, the sponsors and the people who organized the event.

There were two groups being counted, sheltered and unsheltered. The general consensus was that the sheltered count was pretty thorough as staff at the facilities informed their clients in advance of the count and most were motivated to answer a few questions and get their $5.

The questions were about the same as two years ago and responses were similar with one exception. This is anecdotal but the people I spoke with said that about 25% of the individuals they surveyed were new to Victoria (past 12 months). The most common reason given for moving was the availability of services and that some shelters here allowed 24 hour access whereas shelters elsewhere generally kicked people out during the day.

Why does Victoria need 24 hr shelters more than a few days a year .
That is a bit moronic .
Best weather in Canada has the 24 hr shelters 365 days a year .
Now our homeless population is up 25 %
I’ve been stewing over this for a couple of days .
Why are we making people so bloody helpless .
Do we have the ability to change it .
Is there anyway to word a bylaw that does not allow people access to 24 hr daycare shelters .
Can we take some of the power away from places like “our place “ and other enabling factories .
  • Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#13974 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

They don't complain, they just quietly leave. Ministry of Children and Families that was on Nanaimo Street has relocated to Chatterton Way.

Spoons Diner is still there though, right? I wonder how they are doing.

#13975 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:47 PM

When I popped in on Friday morning they were quite busy.

Know it all.

#13976 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:28 AM

Alyxandra Shaw is a published author but became homeless after life threw some curve balls, she said she was stunned to find out how badly the system wants people to fail.

"It took me over two and a half months to get on basic social services where they give you 235$ and I laughed myself sick when I saw the maximum they would give me for rent was $375. Please tell me where I can live for $375 and tell me where I can feed myself for $235 a month," said Shaw.

https://www.cheknews...lacking-430364/

So in the 2.5 months it took her to get on the list, how did she survive?  What were the curveballs?  And since September of 2017 the amount is $335/mo., not $235.

#13977 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:14 AM

I've seen that movie!

• Sparky likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#13978 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

So in the 2.5 months it took her to get on the list, how did she survive?  

https://www.gofundme...ime-to-speak-up

#13979 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:21 AM

https://www.cheknews...lacking-430364/

So in the 2.5 months it took her to get on the list, how did she survive?  What were the curveballs?  And since September of 2017 the amount is $335/mo., not $235.

Is she seriously expecting the government to pay for her to live by herself?  Newsflash lady, you move into a place with a lot of roommates, its going to be bare bones living, but its a place with a roof over your head.  As for food, well guess what its a lot of no name and cheap food, nothing fancy, no fast food, no luxuries.  You are generously being supported by the hardworking taxpayers of BC and we will lend you a helping hand to get by but that's it

Or was she just expecting to keep up her current lifestyle?  haha funny

#13980 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:50 PM

$235 a month for food for one person seems reasonable. I suppose it's other necessities...toilet paper, dish soap, etc. that adds up though.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users