Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#14121 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:14 PM

Please Saanich don’t back down.
Use the laws in place to stand your ground.
Chrissy is a bully used to pushing her agenda .
Stand up to her .
  • Hotel Mike, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#14122 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:26 AM

There are a lot of hard working people that are struggling to find housing in this much sought after city. Why should anyone believe that housing should be delivered on a silver platter to those that are not willing to work for it.

Chrissy Brett is a terrorist and should be regarded as one. Please Mr. Mayor, do not negotiate with terrorists on my behalf.

• Hotel Mike, Love the rock, Midnightly and 3 others like this

#14123 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:42 AM

Just like Victoria, Saanich doesn't owe anyone housing. Housing falls under Federal jurisdiction. Saanich does however need to answer to the taxpayers whose homes are surrounding the illegal campsite. The ones who no longer feel safe in their own neighbourhood. The ones who have had their homes and cars broken into. The bylaws in Saanich state that anyone seeking shelter must be cleared out by 9 am. That needs to be strictly enforced every single day. Anything left at 9:01 gets tossed into a dumpster. End of story. These campers are most likely not Saanich residents, and probably not even residents of Victoria. Everyone comes from somewhere, it is time to start sending a few of these individuals back to their last registered address. A few one way tickets is going to be significantly cheaper than the kind of clean up bill the city of Victoria got stuck with. 

• Nparker, Love the rock, Midnightly and 3 others like this

#14124 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:30 AM

A few one way tickets is going to be significantly cheaper than the kind of clean up bill the city of Victoria got stuck with. 

Unfortunately, the damage done to date at the Saanich tent city is likely in the many tens of thousands of dollars.

Human waste, dirty needles, and other assorted disgusting artifacts scattered throughout the camp site will definitely keep it closed until a complete remediation is finished ... likely months, if not longer.

Each day that now passes likely results in thousands of dollars added to the final clean-up costs ... these costs to be picked up by hard working Saanich taxpayers whose apparent purpose is to now essentially pick-up and clean-up after a bunch of criminals in violation of multiple laws.

So to Saanich Council, and the Saanich PD ... it would be a good idea to actually do your jobs right now, before the clean-up costs migrate further upwards into the many hundreds of thousands of dollars ... and before a local resident or child gets hurt ... or worse.

Edited by Cassidy, 13 June 2018 - 10:31 AM.

• Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#14125 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:36 PM

^I would think that alone is a reason to disband the camp

At Victoria tent city they had to excavate to a certain depth everywhere and dispose of that soil as contaminated waste.  Not sure what the bill was in the end, but it would have probably been in the mid 6 figures as a guess

#14126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,756 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

...At Victoria tent city they had to excavate to a certain depth everywhere and dispose of that soil as contaminated waste.  Not sure what the bill was in the end, but it would have probably been in the mid 6 figures* as a guess

And that was an expense borne by the Province. The cost to remediate Regina Park would fall exclusively on Saanich taxpayers.

*The Ministry of Citizens’ Services says $2.2 million was spent to manage, clean up and remediate the tent city site

#14127 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:40 PM

^yes I am aware of that, BGIS handed out the contracts, never went to public tender so who knows if taxpayers received fair value for it all

#14128 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:19 PM

I assume the camp in Regina is the reason there is security now at the Saanich Plaza? I wonder if Uptown had to increase their security since this all started?

#14129 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:27 PM

^when you use the self checkout at Wal-Mart there us an individual screen on each checkout showing your face on the monitor.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#14130 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:33 PM

And that was an expense borne by the Province. The cost to remediate Regina Park would fall exclusively on Saanich taxpayers.*The Ministry of Citizens’ Services says $2.2 million was spent to manage, clean up and remediate the tent city site

People who own property pay for maintenance of parks some they never step foot in .
These squatters should also pay for cleaning up of there personal mess .
Take half the welfare cheques of everyone involved until the thousands of dollars is paid back or death .
What ever comes first .
They were able to take photos of the Stanley Cup rioters and identify them regardless of even which country they live in .
We could do the same .
Anyone setting up and coming in and out of a tent is responsible for clean up costs .
No more free lunch paid for by taxpayers.
  • Midnightly and Cassidy like this

#14131 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:38 PM

Forgot to mention, I believe the camp has spread. Spotted a tent and people on top of the hill at Saanich and Blanshard. Used to be the site of a house decades but now appears to be home to the transients.

#14132 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:39 PM

I assume the camp in Regina is the reason there is security now at the Saanich Plaza? I wonder if Uptown had to increase their security since this all started?

Uptown security is pretty on the ball

• FawltyVic likes this

#14133 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,756 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

...These squatters should also pay for cleaning up of there personal mess ...

:lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

#14134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

Activist and tent city spokeswoman Chrissy Brett says she was renovicted from her Duncan area home recently.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14135 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:44 PM

Forgot to mention, I believe the camp has spread. Spotted a tent and people on top of the hill at Saanich and Blanshard. Used to be the site of a house decades but now appears to be home to the transients.

There has been people camping up there for months now. I called a few times, but it doesn't appear to have resulted in any action from the Province. Huge surprise.

#14136 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:41 PM

Activist and tent city spokeswoman Chrissy Brett says she was renovicted from her Duncan area home recently.

oh boo hoo, did the price of her single wide go up?

#14137 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:37 PM

:lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Yeah I know Nparker I must have had a brain fart
  • Nparker likes this

#14138 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:28 PM

Why do they keep trying to portray these people as poor homeless folks. They are drug addicts and criminals. The price of housing doesn't affect them at all, they were never going to own a house or pay rent anyway.

The trouble with SJW's is they think equality means equal outcomes not equal opportunity.

• A Girl is No one and Cassidy like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14139 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

Why do they keep trying to portray these people as poor homeless folks. They are drug addicts and criminals. The price of housing doesn't affect them at all, they were never going to own a house or pay rent anyway.

The trouble with SJW's is they think equality means equal outcomes not equal opportunity.

Even worse it creates a 'trickle up entitlement'. The people who are marginally better off then those that we coddle lose their motivation. Why work your butt of 60 hours a week working two jobs just to put a roof over your head when you can give up and get everything for free. 

• Midnightly, jasmineshinga, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#14140 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:32 PM

In this particular situation there is a carpetbagger manipulating her flock of sacrificial unwashed lambs with sadistic glee. She lashed out with some pretty scary rhetoric for the cameras yesterday. Her drug of choice (read the six o'clock news) was more than willing to accommodate. This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better unless someone with some rather large huevos engages stat.

Edited by Arnold, 13 June 2018 - 08:34 PM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)