• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#14141 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:46 PM

Forgot to mention, I believe the camp has spread. Spotted a tent and people on top of the hill at Saanich and Blanshard. Used to be the site of a house decades but now appears to be home to the transients.

Various campers have been in and out of that location for years now.

The photo of the well worn path posted here on VV a couple of days ago is that of the foot traffic of folks who panhandle that stop light by day, and camp up on the rock at night.

That's provincial government land as well, as you can see by the Ministry of Transportation "No Trespassing" signs posted at street level all around that rock.

#14142 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:49 PM

Activist and tent city spokeswoman Chrissy Brett says she was renovicted from her Duncan area home recently.

I would be interested in the actual true facts pertaining to this .
What band does she belong to .
I might be recalling things wrong I was under the impression she was part of
Port Alberni reserve.
Didn’t she run into trouble with her roving tent city in Duncan .

#14143 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:58 AM

I would be interested in the actual true facts pertaining to this .
What band does she belong to .
I might be recalling things wrong I was under the impression she was part of
Port Alberni reserve.
Didn’t she run into trouble with her roving tent city in Duncan .

Having spoken with dozens of FN homeless people over the years as part of surveys or other outreach, I have never met someone who is from a local FN. From what I can tell, local FN have housing and outreach programs that successfully assist their own people. There may be exceptions of course but I haven't seen it yet.

Although we tend to treat FN as a homogenous group they are not of course. 

• Love the rock and Awaiting Juno like this

#14144 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:07 AM

Having spoken with dozens of FN homeless people over the years as part of surveys or other outreach, I have never met someone who is from a local FN. From what I can tell, local FN have housing and outreach programs that successfully assist their own people.

The only FN person I can think of off the top of my head right now who was homeless had the street name of Sasquatch, but that was years ago before his drowning accident.

#14145 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

Do we have any response from Saanich with the campers refusing to move?

#14146 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

All the campers and tents are still there, so I guess they aren't planning on doing anything anytime soon. At the very least Saanich should be forcing them to adhere to the camping bylaws. Everything needs to be packed up and moved out by 9 am. No other resident in Saanich gets to choose which bylaws they will or will not follow. 

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#14147 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

...No other resident in Saanich gets to choose which bylaws they will or will not follow. 

Yeah, it's not Victoria.  ;)

• Love the rock and pennymurphy2000 like this

#14148 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

Yeah, it's not Victoria. ;)

Or maybe it's the next Victoria. 🤔

#14149 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:35 PM

All the campers and tents are still there, so I guess they aren't planning on doing anything anytime soon. At the very least Saanich should be forcing them to adhere to the camping bylaws. Everything needs to be packed up and moved out by 9 am. No other resident in Saanich gets to choose which bylaws they will or will not follow. 

Do basically this is now Tent City 2.0 with a multi million dollar clean up bill coming to Saanich residents plus policing costs, etc, etc  :whyme:

• sdwright.vic likes this

#14150 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:14 AM

...people are contacting BC211 for any number of reasons, but their top reasons happen month after month.  And they include housing and homelessness, income and financial assistance, mental health, health and substance use...

http://www.iheartrad...r-island-1.3893757

Does the BC-211 system have any performance deliverables?

#14151 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

If Cool Aid and other shelters actually posted shelter availability like they are supposed to on the BC-211 website then perhaps people wouldn't need to be calling them as often.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#14152 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

If Cool Aid and other shelters actually posted shelter availability like they are supposed to on the BC-211 website then perhaps people wouldn't need to be calling them as often.

And perhaps we wouldn't continue to have encampments like the Regina Park situation.

#14153 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:41 AM

At what limits can people call?  Can say a family of 4 call and say they make 100k per year combined but are having trouble finding decently priced housing, but they still want 2 new cars, eat out every day, etc, etc

In my mind what's the difference between a junkie calling and saying they are having trouble finding affordable rental housing, but still want to drink and have their heroin fix every day?

The answer is the same in both cases

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#14154 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:02 AM

Seeing a lot more young people begging than last month. Is this a normal summer thing?

#14155 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

Seeing a lot more young people begging than last month. Is this a normal summer thing?

It's a local youth employment program for those who can't motivate themselves to get a traditional summer job. Throw in free overnight camping in city parks and I am sure it is seen as a pretty decent seasonal gig.

• spanky123 likes this

#14156 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:09 AM

It's a local youth employment program for those who can't motivate themselves to get a traditional summer job. Throw in free overnight camping in city parks and I am sure it is seen as a pretty decent seasonal gig.

Don't forget free meals and massages.

#14157 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

....and the free dental. I must admit that one really bugs me as I fork over hundreds of dollars a year for regular checkups for my family.

#14158 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:43 AM

Taken from the Switch Bridge. There are quite a few campers in the treed area not visible to the left of the picture, so any remediation will likely involve removal of those trees.

Attached Images

• IMG_20180616_061212.jpg

#14159 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:09 AM

Taken from the Switch Bridge. There are quite a few campers in the treed area not visible to the left of the picture, so any remediation will likely involve removal of those trees.

I feel really sorry for the people who live in the grey house right behind. This is not good. And if it’s anything like the tent city at the courthouse, it’s got to be a nightmare.

#14160 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

Usually is or it used to be. We had the transients at one time mixed in with the "Addidas bag kids" who would come from good homes only to change into the appearance of a street person to panhandle. It seemed to be a passing phase with them.

I overheard a street person in his early 20's 2 days ago telling another that he was back in town but only til July 1st where he was expected to make $100 a day in Summerland for 5-6 hours work.

Edited by FawltyVic, 16 June 2018 - 10:02 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users