Photo

Victoria homelessness issues

• Please log in to reply
14175 replies to this topic

#14161 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:02 AM

Seeing a lot more young people begging than last month. Is this a normal summer thing?

#14162 Nparker

Nparker
  • 18,696 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

Seeing a lot more young people begging than last month. Is this a normal summer thing?

It's a local youth employment program for those who can't motivate themselves to get a traditional summer job. Throw in free overnight camping in city parks and I am sure it is seen as a pretty decent seasonal gig.

• spanky123 likes this

#14163 spanky123

spanky123
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:09 AM

It's a local youth employment program for those who can't motivate themselves to get a traditional summer job. Throw in free overnight camping in city parks and I am sure it is seen as a pretty decent seasonal gig.

Don't forget free meals and massages.

#14164 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

....and the free dental. I must admit that one really bugs me as I fork over hundreds of dollars a year for regular checkups for my family.

#14165 laconic

laconic
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:43 AM

Taken from the Switch Bridge. There are quite a few campers in the treed area not visible to the left of the picture, so any remediation will likely involve removal of those trees.

Attached Images

• IMG_20180616_061212.jpg

#14166 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 582 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:09 AM

Taken from the Switch Bridge. There are quite a few campers in the treed area not visible to the left of the picture, so any remediation will likely involve removal of those trees.

I feel really sorry for the people who live in the grey house right behind. This is not good. And if it’s anything like the tent city at the courthouse, it’s got to be a nightmare.

#14167 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

Usually is or it used to be. We had the transients at one time mixed in with the "Addidas bag kids" who would come from good homes only to change into the appearance of a street person to panhandle. It seemed to be a passing phase with them.

I overheard a street person in his early 20's 2 days ago telling another that he was back in town but only til July 1st where he was expected to make $100 a day in Summerland for 5-6 hours work.

Edited by FawltyVic, 16 June 2018 - 10:02 AM.

#14168 Arnold

Arnold
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

I feel really sorry for the people who live in the grey house right behind. This is not good. And if it’s anything like the tent city at the courthouse, it’s got to be a nightmare.

If I lived in that grey house, I would be blasting the worst tunes possible at 120 decibels from midnight to 6;00 AM.

IMG_0151.JPG
  • Nparker and johnk like this

#14169 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

If I lived in that grey house, I would be blasting the worst tunes possible at 120 decibels from midnight to 6;00 AM.

Kenny G, Barry Manilow, and Rebecca Black?

Edited by FawltyVic, 16 June 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#14170 Nparker

Nparker
  • 18,696 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:21 PM

If I lived in that grey house, I would be blasting the worst tunes possible at 120 decibels from midnight to 6;00 AM....

Unfortunately, you'd then have Saanich bylaw enforcement and maybe even the police on you faster than you could say Chrissy Brett. All people will be treated equally under the law, but as George Orwell said, some are more equal than others.  :whyme:

• A Girl is No one likes this

#14171 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 582 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

Cody was a perfect example of this... RIP Cody.
  • Mike K. likes this

#14172 tjv

tjv
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:25 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_0151.JPG

haha nice one.  I think I would sue Saanich for depressed value on my home, loss of enjoyment of my property and anything else my lawyers could come up with for failing to enforce the municipal bylaws while they were fully aware of the illegal situation.

#14173 Nparker

Nparker
  • 18,696 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:00 AM

If she is going to use this tactic, will Chrissy Brett ensure that no non-aboriginals remain encamped at Regina Park?

...Brett said the camp is part and parcel of [Aboriginal] religious ceremony on unceded Indigenous territory...

https://www.vicnews....rt-holmes-park/

#14174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 18,696 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:05 AM

A response from "Fraser Shortt" to the above referenced article:

...the market is out of control,rents have doubled in the last ten years and the rage amongst the unhoused and precariously housed (like myself) is growing. these campers are just saying what i'm thinking: make a place for us...or we'll just f#*king take it.

Why do people think they have a right to housing in one of the most expensive regions of the country. If you cannot afford to live here there are lots of more affordable places in Canada.

• Midnightly likes this

#14175 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 22 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:22 PM

If she is going to use this tactic, will Chrissy Brett ensure that no non-aboriginals remain encamped at Regina Park?

Did Brett even bother to do some research before she opened her mouth I wonder or is this just another round of playing the race card to make authorities step back.

It would be interesting if it was land that belonged to another tribe and was paid/compensated for. Then she would look like a fool.

#14176 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 22 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:37 PM

Did Brett even bother to do some research before she opened her mouth I wonder or is this just another round of playing the race card to make authorities step back.

I checked and Brett according to Saanich News belongs to the Nuxalk Nation. And according to the nation's website their territory was coastal mainland and didn't touch Vancouver Island.

So either she is playing the solidarity tactic to gain support, is stepping on another nation's toes or is completely ignorant. Take your pick.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.