Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25925 replies to this topic

#14161 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

I feel really sorry for the people who live in the grey house right behind. This is not good. And if it’s anything like the tent city at the courthouse, it’s got to be a nightmare.

If I lived in that grey house, I would be blasting the worst tunes possible at 120 decibels from midnight to 6;00 AM.

IMG_0151.JPG
  • Nparker and johnk like this

#14162 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

If I lived in that grey house, I would be blasting the worst tunes possible at 120 decibels from midnight to 6;00 AM.

Kenny G, Barry Manilow, and Rebecca Black?

Edited by FawltyVic, 16 June 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#14163 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:21 PM

If I lived in that grey house, I would be blasting the worst tunes possible at 120 decibels from midnight to 6;00 AM....

Unfortunately, you'd then have Saanich bylaw enforcement and maybe even the police on you faster than you could say Chrissy Brett. All people will be treated equally under the law, but as George Orwell said, some are more equal than others.  :whyme:

• A Girl is No one likes this

#14164 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

Cody was a perfect example of this... RIP Cody.
  • Mike K. likes this

#14165 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:25 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_0151.JPG

haha nice one.  I think I would sue Saanich for depressed value on my home, loss of enjoyment of my property and anything else my lawyers could come up with for failing to enforce the municipal bylaws while they were fully aware of the illegal situation.

#14166 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:00 AM

If she is going to use this tactic, will Chrissy Brett ensure that no non-aboriginals remain encamped at Regina Park?

...Brett said the camp is part and parcel of [Aboriginal] religious ceremony on unceded Indigenous territory...

https://www.vicnews....rt-holmes-park/

#14167 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:05 AM

A response from "Fraser Shortt" to the above referenced article:

...the market is out of control,rents have doubled in the last ten years and the rage amongst the unhoused and precariously housed (like myself) is growing. these campers are just saying what i'm thinking: make a place for us...or we'll just f#*king take it.

Why do people think they have a right to housing in one of the most expensive regions of the country. If you cannot afford to live here there are lots of more affordable places in Canada.

• Midnightly likes this

#14168 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:22 PM

If she is going to use this tactic, will Chrissy Brett ensure that no non-aboriginals remain encamped at Regina Park?

Did Brett even bother to do some research before she opened her mouth I wonder or is this just another round of playing the race card to make authorities step back.

It would be interesting if it was land that belonged to another tribe and was paid/compensated for. Then she would look like a fool.

#14169 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:37 PM

Did Brett even bother to do some research before she opened her mouth I wonder or is this just another round of playing the race card to make authorities step back.

I checked and Brett according to Saanich News belongs to the Nuxalk Nation. And according to the nation's website their territory was coastal mainland and didn't touch Vancouver Island.

So either she is playing the solidarity tactic to gain support, is stepping on another nation's toes or is completely ignorant. Take your pick.

#14170 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:42 AM

Isn't that nice of Saanich to cut the grass to make more room for tents

#14171 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:43 AM

Isn't that nice of Saanich to cut the grass to make more room for tents

On the one hand, they are addressing immediate concerns with respect to safety of both the campers and the nearby residents - they aren't doing it to be "nice".

On the other hand, they are working to make the existing situation safer and more liveable while patiently waiting for the campers to obey the order to vacate, so... good luck with that.

• Midnightly likes this

#14172 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:45 AM

...they are working to make the existing situation safer and more liveable while patiently waiting for the campers to obey the order to vacate, so... good luck with that.

The more liveable the park is made for the trespassers the less likely they are to leave. 

• Midnightly and tjv like this

#14173 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:03 AM

The more liveable the park is made for the trespassers the less likely they are to leave. 

Another way to address the safety concerns it to remove the campers and their gear.  But that's crazy talk.

Edited by DustMagnet, 20 June 2018 - 11:04 AM.

• pennymurphy2000 and tjv like this

#14174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:05 AM

Another way to address the safety concerns it to remove the campers and their gear.  But that's crazy talk.

Completely crazy!

• pennymurphy2000 and Cassidy like this

#14175 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:10 AM

I think Saanich should remove all the grass...and replace it with large sharp rocks.  Lets call it a rain garden

• Nparker likes this

#14176 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:34 AM

Chrissy Brett isn't going to garner much public support by making these type of demands.

...Saanich,does not need to own the land for any future modular housing itself. It could also simply purchase private land, she said. “I gave them the other option of giving us another piece of property,” she said. “If you don’t want us here until modular housing is built, then give me a place where you can put in..bathroom trailers similar to the tent city [in downtown Victoria], and let us house people in a more organized fashion. Bring me water, bring me bathrooms, bring me showers...

https://www.vicnews....at-homeless-camp/

• Cassidy likes this

#14177 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

How about this?

We give Chrissy Brett and her minions absolutely nothing ... and they simply get off their lazy asses and try to put some sort of life together?

For the very small percentage that are mentally ill, there's help for them too ... they have to seek it out though, it doesn't come to seeking them out.

Generally speaking, this is a bunch of bums who want the ability to camp freely in/on/around Victoria without paying for it ... something not enjoyed by any of us posting here.

(the old adage "follow the money" is always in effect ... I'd really like to know what Chrissy Brett's pockets get lined with? Perhaps she charges a nightly service charge to the campers?).

• Nparker, LJ, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#14178 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

Chrissy Brett isn't going to garner much public support by making these type of demands.

[post edited by admin]

#14179 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:26 PM

Ok ok, let’s keep it above board, please.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14180 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:34 PM

I didn't swear, just delivered a message.  Nice words don't work any more, this isn't daisies and flowers with these people, it needs to be scorched earth plain and simple

If you want to pander to these people expect Tent City 2.0, Tent City 3.0, Tent City 4.0, etc, etc and pretty soon they will be camped on the boulevard in front of your house

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users