Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25965 replies to this topic

#14541 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

rjag, on 20 Jul 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

But, but Portland has a great bike network.....

And great Brew Pubs.

#14542 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:26 AM

The homeless camp has gained a trampoline.

Good opportunity for business development.

#14543 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,747 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:06 AM

The homeless camp has gained a trampoline...

To be fair, when one is packing around a trampoline on one's back, I am sure it makes finding permanent, affordable housing more challenging.  :huh:

#14544 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,747 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:37 AM

I defy you to read this TC story (especially in regards to Lisa Helps' comments) and not get incensed at the ongoing waste of taxpayer money.  :mad:

City staff are seeking another $100,000 to clean up after campers in Victoria city parks because more people are using parks for shelter...

http://www.timescolo...pers-1.23375322

• A Girl is No one likes this

#14545 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:30 AM

I don’t believe the savings on policing and health care promised by the addition of hundreds of low barrier housing units ever materialized either... go figure!
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#14546 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,747 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:37 AM

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that continually pouring money into the symptoms of homelessness has been even moderately successful.

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#14547 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:42 AM

And since Victoria was late on the party, we already knew that this approach didn’t work... yet, her majesty and her council (and her poverty business friends) insisted that we didn’t know what we were talking about....

#14548 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:33 AM

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that continually pouring money into the symptoms of homelessness has been even moderately successful.

if you build it they will come.. and the more you build it the more they will come.. that's the only thing i've noticed from all the tent cities and multiple low barrier housing that has been set up.. there are more on the streets now then there were before the court house lawns camp out and hundreds have been housed since then

• Nparker, Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#14549 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:52 AM

I defy you to read this TC story (especially in regards to Lisa Helps' comments) and not get incensed at the ongoing waste of taxpayer money.  :mad:

What’s wrong with you this is a very expensive city to live in .
Especially when you spend your government disability checks getting high .
It’s not easy finding an apartment with enough space to store your 10 stolen shopping carts and no rules either.
Most apartments seem to want you to pay rent too what
a waste of the good drug money the government hands over every month .
I’m against any more low barrier house in Greater Victoria period.
Not one more ,as a matter of fact shut some of them down
the experiment didn’t work .
Put some rules in place it’s a privilege for free housing not a right.
  • Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#14550 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:53 PM

Presumably before spending this money, the city has taken steps to ensure people are not camping if shelter beds are available
Right? I know our city council would never just throw money away without attempting to mitigate the cost.
  • Nparker likes this

#14551 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:48 AM

Presumably before spending this money, the city has taken steps to ensure people are not camping if shelter beds are available
Right? I know our city council would never just throw money away without attempting to mitigate the cost.

Where is the sarcasm font? I sometimes wonder if requiring the homeless to register with the city alone would be enough to drive them to alternate places where they can be anonymous?  It seems a pretty low bar really, for the city to know who is here - they know who they're tax payers are, so why shouldn't they know who the tax users are?  At the very least it might filter out those with active warrants out for them.

• LJ, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#14552 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:49 AM

Where is the sarcasm font? I sometimes wonder if requiring the homeless to register with the city alone would be enough to drive them to alternate places where they can be anonymous?  It seems a pretty low bar really, for the city to know who is here - they know who they're tax payers are, so why shouldn't they know who the tax users are?  At the very least it might filter out those with active warrants out for them.

And actually for that end, I'd be okay if everyone generally had to register with the city to live here (ie. not just the homeless).

#14553 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,747 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:43 AM

My dog had to be registered with the CoV.
  • Matt R., pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#14554 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:21 AM

They may know who their tax payers are but they don’t know anything about tens of thousands of renters.

Registration harkens back to Communism where residents had to register with a central authority their residency. No thank you.
  • Greg likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14555 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:03 AM

I think that people expecting to receive free services by the city (including clean parks with bathrooms) should have to register in order to get those services.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 22 July 2018 - 08:11 AM.

• mbjj likes this

#14556 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

I've said it before, but there has to be (and in my opinion is) a middle ground. We shouldn't criminalize poverty. But we also don't need to legitimize criminal actions. I don't think we need new laws, or laws targeting the homeless. If we just enforced the laws and bylaws that currently exist in an evenhanded manner the problems of inappropriate behavior in public would be greatly reduced.

• zoomer, Rob Randall, LJ and 3 others like this

#14557 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:30 AM

A few folks set up a tent city in Langford today. They were moved out within an hour. Thanks Stew, Thanks RCMP.

That is the way to nip the bud in the bud. Don't let the camp get established.

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#14558 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:06 PM

I think that people expecting to receive free services by the city (including clean parks with bathrooms) should have to register in order to get those services.

I'll go a step further, I suggest all property tax payers of Saanich not pay their property taxes.   If Saanich doesn't feel like enforcing the laws then they aren't doing their job, therefore they don't get paid. 

After all Saanich, property taxes are just a law and if you can ignore laws being broken then so can taxpayers

I also suggest a recall campaign against every elected person in Saanich

#14559 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

Oh my, is this ever relevant. Just take the ten minutes to watch the video: https://youtu.be/ld6qYJe4pRs
  • Daveyboy and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14560 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,747 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

...Registration harkens back to Communism where residents had to register with a central authority their residency. No thank you.

Does this mean I can "de-register" with the CoV and no longer pay property taxes? Perhaps I could de-register from the CRA to stop those sizable deductions from my bi-weekly pay. While I am at it, I might also want to de-register from the Medical Services Plan so none of my illnesses can be tracked by Big Brother.

I guess my point is that virtually every resident in this country is registered with some level of government. Is it really all that different to request the same of the "homeless" if they are receiving any sort of public service or taxpayer funded largesse

• Midnightly, jasmineshinga and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Beacon