Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25855 replies to this topic

#14561 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:13 PM

[quote name="Mike K." post="447480" timestamp="1532313084"]

Oh my, is this ever relevant. Just take the ten minutes to watch the video: https://youtu.be/ld6qYJe4pRs[/quotes firmly believe that Helps wants to take us exactly there... and she already got us a good way down that path...

#14562 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:23 AM

Oooo gosh, I got to about the one minute mark and had to stop! Uggg. please someone send that to our mayor and council in Victoria.

#14563 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:26 AM

Does this mean I can "de-register" with the CoV and no longer pay property taxes? Perhaps I could de-register from the CRA to stop those sizable deductions from my bi-weekly pay. While I am at it, I might also want to de-register from the Medical Services Plan so none of my illnesses can be tracked by Big Brother.

I guess my point is that virtually every resident in this country is registered with some level of government. Is it really all that different to request the same of the "homeless" if they are receiving any sort of public service or taxpayer funded largesse?

You’re not registered in that sense. Nobody knows whether you’re actually living there, you just own the home. That’s vastly different from a registration scheme that identifies you as being somewhere in order to receive a benefit from a local government.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14564 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

You’re not registered in that sense. Nobody knows whether you’re actually living there, you just own the home..

Someone at the municipal, provincial or federal government level knows exactly where I live. Benefits I receive - such as socialized health care - are directly linked to this information.

• sdwright.vic, Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#14565 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

No they don’t, they just know where to send the cheque. You’re not forced to check in and check out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14566 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:07 PM

Actually you are required to keep your drivers license address up to date which keeps your ICBC issued MSP Care Card address up to date as well.
  • Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#14567 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:09 PM

Here is Lisa Helps' thesis for her Master of Arts. In her conclusion on pages 118 & 119, she expresses the hope that someday homeless people will be able to come downtown and use the public washrooms:

"If it makes possible only one thought I hope it is this: that seemingly commonsense contemporary conceptions-enactments of public spaces by which homeless people are locked out of washrooms and forced out of downtown city places might also be incomplete, might also be undone."

• Sparky and A Girl is No one like this

#14568 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:32 PM

There is now a live YouTube feed of the tent city in Saanich.

• Mike K., Sparky, Bingo and 2 others like this

#14569 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:42 PM

Here is Lisa Helps' thesis for her Master of Arts. In her conclusion on pages 118 & 119, she expresses the hope that someday homeless people will be able to come downtown and use the public washrooms:

"If it makes possible only one thought I hope it is this: that seemingly commonsense contemporary conceptions-enactments of public spaces by which homeless people are locked out of washrooms and forced out of downtown city places might also be incomplete, might also be undone."

With that kind of no-nonsense approach, I can't believe homlessness hasn't been eradicated in this city.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#14570 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:58 PM

I've said it before, but there has to be (and in my opinion is) a middle ground. We shouldn't criminalize poverty. But we also don't need to legitimize criminal actions. I don't think we need new laws, or laws targeting the homeless. If we just enforced the laws and bylaws that currently exist in an evenhanded manner the problems of inappropriate behavior in public would be greatly reduced.

Agreed. As a downtown resident, I frankly don't feel bothered by the homeless and my heart goes out to anyone who has to deal with transience involuntarily. What is troubling, however, is the city's approach of sitting on their hands whenever something bad related to them happens. At the end of the day they're people who can do good and evil like everyone else, not noble savages to be pitied and forever caressed. 

Though the video MIke posted is way too angry, cities like San Francisco struggle with homelessness in part because in most places the problem is "solved" by simply doing nothing and hoping they pack up to somewhere where they won't die in the streets.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#14571 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:17 PM

5 minutes of watching the webcam of Uptown tent city and the first thing I see is a guy riding his motorcycle around inside the park, eventually stopping at his large, tan garage shelter.

I wonder if I'd be given the same consideration by SaanichPD if I choose to ride my motorcycle in Mount Doug Park?

I believe riding a motorized vehicle on public parkland is a by-law infraction ... not that it matters in Saanich these days.

Second thing I see is two obvious 13 or 14 year old guys popping in and out of tents ... obviously very underage, and obviously not supposed to be in an illegal encampment full of drugs and crime.

I shudder to think what I'd see if I watched this webcam for an hour or two ... but "lack of law enforcement" combined with "selective law enforcement" would no doubt be the overriding impression one would get by doing so.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#14572 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:35 PM

Oh my, is this ever relevant. Just take the ten minutes to watch the video: https://youtu.be/ld6qYJe4pRs

Interesting, I was in San Francisco almost 9 years ago to the day and I thought it was a nice City, but then again a lot can happen in 9 years too

Good idea about the webcams, but I would install another 6 or 8 more to get everything from every angle

I'd also tell that excavator and dump truck working in the background at 930pm to keep their engines reved up.  Dump trucks have to have a back up alarm, just keep it in reverse with the brake on, get that excavator bucket bashing stuff and lots of yelling back and forth between the excavator operator and dump truck.  Oh and don't forget to fire up the hoe ram just for fun too.  Its going to be a long graveyard shift until 7am

#14573 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 05:35 AM

Gee that webcam tells a lot. 

They don't seem to wake up very early at the park......or maybe they have gone to work already.

• Nparker, mbjj, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#14574 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:31 AM

What happened to the web cam link?

#14575 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:46 AM

It’s working for me.

Know it all.

#14576 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:49 AM

Working now... must of been a bad connection.

#14577 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:49 AM

The District of Saanich has filed an injunction in British Columbia Supreme Court, requiring the tent city campers in Regina Park to leave immediately...

http://www.iheartrad...t-city-1.4200260

#14578 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

The Point-in-Time survey results are now out.

The Capital Regional District says fewer people were unsheltered and sleeping outdoors in 2018’s homeless count. On the night of March 15, 2018, volunteers found 158 unsheltered people – 18 per cent fewer than in 2016...

https://www.cheknews...streets-472985/

#14579 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:59 AM

From the CRD: https://www.crd.bc.c...sults-announced

Jul 24, 2018

Victoria, BC– The Capital Regional District (CRD), in partnership with the Community Social Planning Council (CSPC) and the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness, announced today the key findings of Everyone Counts: 2018 Greater Victoria Point-in-Time (PiT) Count. This is the second PiT Count and survey, the first taking place in 2016, with both initiatives supported by the Government of Canada’s Homelessness Partnering Strategy.

The key learnings from the 2018 Count and survey are:

Fewer people were unsheltered and sleeping outdoors on the night of March 15, 2018 - Volunteers found 158 unsheltered people (18% fewer than last count), despite there being more volunteers counting in more communities.

New interventions to help people experiencing homelessness are in place - More people were surveyed and were found to be receiving assistance through temporary shelters and transitional housing, but many still need access to permanent homes.

The voices of more people experiencing homelessness were heard this time around -Because volunteers were able to reach out to more youth as well as more people in various health and correction facilities, a total of 1,525 individuals were counted and more than 906 individuals participated in the survey.

The number of youth experiencing “hidden homelessness” were better captured in the 2018 count – a Youth Magnet event allowed volunteers to reach 50 more youth. Research shows that youth are often the “hidden homeless” who couch surf by staying with friends.

Youth, Indigenous people and seniors have unique experiences of homelessness – Survey findings showed that homelessness often starts at an early age and that there are culture and age-related barriers to accessing housing as well as services.

41% of respondents had their first experience of homelessness at 18 years of age or under.
Nearly one-fifth of the people surveyed (19.4%) were aged 55+ and 17.4% were under 25 years of age.
One-third (33%) of respondents identified as Indigenous, much higher than the proportion of Indigenous people among the broader population (4.7%).

Other specific findings from the survey indicate that:

- About two-thirds (67.6%) of respondents identified as male/man and 30.2% identified as female/woman.

- Many have been homeless for long periods of time – 78.8% had been homeless for more than 6 months over the past year.

- A significant majority were British Columbians – 83% had lived in Victoria for more than one year and 56.7% of the remaining individuals had lived somewhere in British Columbia prior to coming to Victoria.

- Most are not homeless by choice – 93.7% stated they wanted permanent housing.

- Most were homeless due to economic issues (loss of job, inadequate income) or the need for appropriate services (addictions, health and/or mental health).

The CRD contracted the CSPC to coordinate the survey and PiT Count. The CRD is also currently working in partnership with BC Housing, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) and Island Health to deliver the Regional Housing First Program (RHFP), a $90 million partnership through which the CRD, BC Housing and CMHC will fund the development of 400 units of housing offered at social assistance shelter rates to address the needs of people experiencing chronic homelessness in the region.

The results of the PiT Count and survey will be used in conjunction with ongoing shelter-use data as well as information gleaned through planning with respect to the creation of a Coordinated Assessment and Access service and Homelessness Management Information System. These initiatives will improve service delivery as well as facilitate real time reporting of homelessness levels and achieve better outcomes for people experiencing homelessness in the region.

Quotes:

“The effort to address homelessness in the capital region has a large scope that crosses municipal boundaries. The 2018 Point in Time Count was restricted to the Census Metropolitan Area, however the report recognizes a separate count completed on Salt Spring Island and broadened our reach to include the experiences of individuals experiencing homelessness in Sooke.” – Steve Price, CRD Board Chair.

“On behalf of the Coalition, I’d like to express deep appreciation for the time, effort and commitment that individuals and agencies gave to this important research. We especially wish to acknowledge those who participated in the survey and had the courage to share their stories with us. It is with this level of collaboration and dedication that we will see an end to homelessness in the region.” - Lisa Helps, Co-Chair, Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness.

“Although the Point in Time Count process has limitations and can’t track trends over time, it provides a minimum estimate of the number of people experiencing homelessness on a single night. We thank the many volunteers who helped administer the survey as it provides valuable information that will support service planning and delivery in the region.” - Stefanie Hardman, Research Manager, Community Social Planning Council of Greater Victoria.

For the full report, visit: https://www.crd.bc.c...ch-and-planning

Attachment: Point-in-Time Count and Survey FAQ (PDF)

Proud to be recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the CRD delivers regional, sub-regional and local services to 13 municipalities and three electoral areas on southern Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. Governed by a 24-member Board of Directors, the CRD works collaboratively with First Nations and all levels of government to enable sustainable growth, foster community well-being, and develop cost-effective infrastructure while continuing to provide core services to residents throughout the region. Visit us online at www.crd.bc.ca.

Know it all.

#14580 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:08 AM

A significant majority were British Columbians – 83% had lived in Victoria for more than one year and 56.7% of the remaining individuals had lived somewhere in British Columbia prior to coming to Victoria.

So approximately 10% of all homeless individuals in Victoria are British Columbians who did not live in Victoria for a full year prior to the survey, with the remaining 7% being neither British Columbians nor Victorians prior to being counted.

Once again we're only getting half of the picture here as the survey refuses to acknowledge the potential for residency changes prior to one year. For all we know, 100% of the individuals living on Victoria's streets arrived within the last five years (obviously that's not the case, but nearly 20% of all individuals counted is a significant number and one that could be 40% if we push the threshold to 2 years, 60% if we push it to 3, etc.).

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users