Photo

Victoria homelessness issues

• Please log in to reply
16598 replies to this topic

#14721 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:56 PM

Are there any charities specifically set up to teach men to fish?

No, hence they don't get a dime of my money.  Anyone giving money to these charities is continuously allowing the homeless situation to continue.

A friend (no not me lol) did some volunteering at Our Place, cooking in the kitchen, prepping meals, etc.  They quit when they were basically treated as an employee (here is your shift schedule, etc) plus the homeless expected the volunteers to clean up after them like they were eating in a restaurant!

• A Girl is No one likes this

#14722 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,791 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

I suggest all of you go down to Anawim and take a tour. It is one of the best agencies in the city. People are there because they wanted to make a change in their life and have succeeded.

A Girl is No One - you are saying that because you saw someone on Pandora with a Green Bike that it came from Anawim? You followed them from there?

There are a lot of useless non-profits in this city that are making a bad situation worse but Anawim stands out as a shining example of what be done through people taking an opportunity and paying it forward.
  • Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#14723 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

Anawim had 25 bikes donated from u-bike someone said so presumably they are green.

story:  https://www.oakbayne...o-anawim-house/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 August 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#14724 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,524 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:36 PM

Maybe the should of painted them a different colour before the donation instead of labeling their brand as they have?
  • Bingo and pennymurphy2000 like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#14725 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 838 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:46 PM

I suggest all of you go down to Anawim and take a tour. It is one of the best agencies in the city. People are there because they wanted to make a change in their life and have succeeded.

A Girl is No One - you are saying that because you saw someone on Pandora with a Green Bike that it came from Anawim? You followed them from there?

There are a lot of useless non-profits in this city that are making a bad situation worse but Anawim stands out as a shining example of what be done through people taking an opportunity and paying it forward.

I totally support Anawym’s model.
but If Anawym residents are out there hanging out with drug dealers every night, I can’t help but feel suspicious. Forgive me for being cynical... after having had my eyes opened about the poverty industry and their constant lies, it’s hard not to.

#14726 LJ

LJ
  • 9,044 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

There are definitely places that do good things to help people recover, I'm familiar with several, and donate to them regularly.

Low barrier or other shelters that the poverty pimps run for their own sustenance will never willingly get a dime from me.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14727 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,791 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:53 PM

I totally support Anawym’s model.
but If Anawym residents are out there hanging out with drug dealers every night, I can’t help but feel suspicious. Forgive me for being cynical... after having had my eyes opened about the poverty industry and their constant lies, it’s hard not to.

My point is just because people on green bikes are hanging out on Pandora does not mean they came from Anawim House. Those bikes are all over the city.
  • shoeflack likes this

It has a whole new look!

#14728 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,555 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:55 PM

Anawim had 25 bikes donated from u-bike someone said so presumably they are green.

story:  https://www.oakbayne...o-anawim-house/

According to the story they donated 25 damaged bikes that they were about to throw out. I guess a damaged bike is better than no bike but it is not like we started with high end pieces of kit.

#14729 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,791 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:57 PM

There are definitely places that do good things to help people recover, I'm familiar with several, and donate to them regularly.

Low barrier or other shelters that the poverty pimps run for their own sustenance will never willingly get a dime from me.

Anawim is not just any shelter and certainly not a low barrier shelter.

https://www.anawimho...om/who-we-help/
  • LJ and Bingo like this

It has a whole new look!

#14730 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:05 PM

Why do you think everyone doesn't just follow a similar model?

#14731 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:15 AM

Why do you think everyone doesn't just follow a similar model?

Too niche a market for clients.   it's easier to find those that won't or can't stay off drugs or do not have an interest in bettering their lot.

#14732 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:17 AM

I read something about how Saanich needs to get a court injuction to remove the campers because they are 'only' breaking a bylaw. 

Not sure how Stu managed to get rid of them so quickly.  Anyways, Saanich has a court date some time next week.  Hoping they can start removing these people!  

Meanwhile over at Camp Cloud at the Kinder Morgan tank farm...

On Aug.10, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Geoffrey Gomery granted the city an injunction ordering all camp structures, shelters and vehicles be removed from outside the Kinder Morgan tank farm within 48 hours. 

Since the deadline, some protesters have remained at the camp in defiance of the order, maintaining the court does not have jurisdiction over the site.

In a statement, Burnaby RCMP said there will be an increase police presence in the area and it will be bringing in equipment and personnel in conjunction with the CIty of Burnaby to start removing structures. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...4787370?cmp=rss

#14733 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:25 PM

I really don't know much about Anawim.  I am not going to put them down, but to me all charities start near the bottom and have to prove themselves to get my money.  Just look at Our Place website, it looks like they help too

I hope they are different

#14734 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

Anawim has been around for 30 years.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#14735 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:29 AM

The vast majority of the public would support helping the homeless to become self-sufficient, I get the sense that the vast majority of the public is absolutely appalled and exhausted by the efforts to enable a homeless lifestyle with no viable path towards self-sufficiency.

• Nparker, LJ, tedward and 11 others like this

#14736 mbjj

mbjj
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 03:10 PM

My daughter and I were getting out of the car in our driveway today and I saw some random very scruffy guy wander into our yard. My daughter called out, "Can I help you" and he said, do you have work that needs doing. I missed my welfare cheque. Of course, if true, well very sad, but what were we to do? He was a bit scary looking to be quite honest. She just said, no sorry, and he mumbled and walked off. Not sure if he was going to look for something to steal in the yard or what. Maybe he didn't see us in the car? Don't know what to think. Looked very rough, that's for sure.

Also saw two tents set up in Beacon Hill at mid-day by some folks who looked more like travellers. They were between the bandshell and the pond that has a lot of water-lilies on top. I thought this was not allowed?

#14737 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,555 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

My daughter and I were getting out of the car in our driveway today and I saw some random very scruffy guy wander into our yard. My daughter called out, "Can I help you" and he said, do you have work that needs doing. I missed my welfare cheque. Of course, if true, well very sad, but what were we to do? He was a bit scary looking to be quite honest. She just said, no sorry, and he mumbled and walked off. Not sure if he was going to look for something to steal in the yard or what. Maybe he didn't see us in the car? Don't know what to think. Looked very rough, that's for sure.

Also saw two tents set up in Beacon Hill at mid-day by some folks who looked more like travellers. They were between the bandshell and the pond that has a lot of water-lilies on top. I thought this was not allowed?

He was looking to steal something. 

#14738 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 838 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:01 PM

Yeah I saw a tent pitched in mid afternoon on one of the points yesterday. Pretty sweet spot to camp for free. Why is the city not enforcing the camping by’aws?

#14739 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,524 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:16 PM

Most likely because all the person has to do is claim to be homeless.
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#14740 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:00 PM

Saw a fellow (and his dog?) surrounded by police (with weapons(s) drawn - according to the SO in passenger seat) at the vacant lot between Ashley Homestore and Six Mile Market on Old Island Hwy this afternoon.  I had seen some evidence of camping at the back of that lot a couple of weeks ago - no idea if related.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users