Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25935 replies to this topic

#14721 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:55 PM

Anawim had 25 bikes donated from u-bike someone said so presumably they are green.

story:  https://www.oakbayne...o-anawim-house/

According to the story they donated 25 damaged bikes that they were about to throw out. I guess a damaged bike is better than no bike but it is not like we started with high end pieces of kit.

#14722 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:57 PM

There are definitely places that do good things to help people recover, I'm familiar with several, and donate to them regularly.

Low barrier or other shelters that the poverty pimps run for their own sustenance will never willingly get a dime from me.

Anawim is not just any shelter and certainly not a low barrier shelter.

https://www.anawimho...om/who-we-help/
  • LJ and Bingo like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#14723 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:05 PM

There are definitely places that do good things to help people recover, I'm familiar with several, and donate to them regularly.

Why do you think everyone doesn't just follow a similar model?

#14724 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,876 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:15 AM

Why do you think everyone doesn't just follow a similar model?

Too niche a market for clients.   it's easier to find those that won't or can't stay off drugs or do not have an interest in bettering their lot.

#14725 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:17 AM

I read something about how Saanich needs to get a court injuction to remove the campers because they are 'only' breaking a bylaw. 

Not sure how Stu managed to get rid of them so quickly.  Anyways, Saanich has a court date some time next week.  Hoping they can start removing these people!  

Meanwhile over at Camp Cloud at the Kinder Morgan tank farm...

On Aug.10, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Geoffrey Gomery granted the city an injunction ordering all camp structures, shelters and vehicles be removed from outside the Kinder Morgan tank farm within 48 hours. 

Since the deadline, some protesters have remained at the camp in defiance of the order, maintaining the court does not have jurisdiction over the site.

In a statement, Burnaby RCMP said there will be an increase police presence in the area and it will be bringing in equipment and personnel in conjunction with the CIty of Burnaby to start removing structures. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...4787370?cmp=rss

#14726 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:25 PM

I really don't know much about Anawim.  I am not going to put them down, but to me all charities start near the bottom and have to prove themselves to get my money.  Just look at Our Place website, it looks like they help too

I hope they are different

#14727 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

Anawim has been around for 30 years.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#14728 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:29 AM

The vast majority of the public would support helping the homeless to become self-sufficient, I get the sense that the vast majority of the public is absolutely appalled and exhausted by the efforts to enable a homeless lifestyle with no viable path towards self-sufficiency.

• Nparker, LJ, tedward and 11 others like this

#14729 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 03:10 PM

My daughter and I were getting out of the car in our driveway today and I saw some random very scruffy guy wander into our yard. My daughter called out, "Can I help you" and he said, do you have work that needs doing. I missed my welfare cheque. Of course, if true, well very sad, but what were we to do? He was a bit scary looking to be quite honest. She just said, no sorry, and he mumbled and walked off. Not sure if he was going to look for something to steal in the yard or what. Maybe he didn't see us in the car? Don't know what to think. Looked very rough, that's for sure.

Also saw two tents set up in Beacon Hill at mid-day by some folks who looked more like travellers. They were between the bandshell and the pond that has a lot of water-lilies on top. I thought this was not allowed?

#14730 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

My daughter and I were getting out of the car in our driveway today and I saw some random very scruffy guy wander into our yard. My daughter called out, "Can I help you" and he said, do you have work that needs doing. I missed my welfare cheque. Of course, if true, well very sad, but what were we to do? He was a bit scary looking to be quite honest. She just said, no sorry, and he mumbled and walked off. Not sure if he was going to look for something to steal in the yard or what. Maybe he didn't see us in the car? Don't know what to think. Looked very rough, that's for sure.

Also saw two tents set up in Beacon Hill at mid-day by some folks who looked more like travellers. They were between the bandshell and the pond that has a lot of water-lilies on top. I thought this was not allowed?

He was looking to steal something. 

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#14731 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:01 PM

Yeah I saw a tent pitched in mid afternoon on one of the points yesterday. Pretty sweet spot to camp for free. Why is the city not enforcing the camping by’aws?
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

#14732 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:16 PM

Most likely because all the person has to do is claim to be homeless.
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#14733 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:00 PM

Saw a fellow (and his dog?) surrounded by police (with weapons(s) drawn - according to the SO in passenger seat) at the vacant lot between Ashley Homestore and Six Mile Market on Old Island Hwy this afternoon.  I had seen some evidence of camping at the back of that lot a couple of weeks ago - no idea if related.

#14734 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:52 PM

WOW.  This article gives a good idea what is going on.  WTF Saanich!!!!!

https://www.timescol...ourt-1.23417312

Saanich wants the campers out of the park for two to three weeks to allow the district to remove hazardous materials, mow the lawn, prune shrubs and put down eight to 10 inches of wood chips. Meanwhile, the campers can take temporary shelter in any one of 102 of Saanich’s 171 parks.

When fire officers asked people to stop smoking in their tents, he said, Brett told them that the residents of Camp Namegans — as residents call the tent city — could do whatever they wanted within their homes.

Court heard that on July 4, Saanich Deputy Fire Chief Brock Henson asked one of the residents to put out his lit cigarette. The man did so, but Brett took it, lit it and smoked it in front of Henson.

On another occasion, a fire officer asked Brett to move her electrical generator away from her tent. Instead, she moved it inside her tent, Locke said.

The company contracted to service the porta-potties has also changed its procedures. On June 29, an employee was shoved, intimidated and harassed while cleaning the toilets, and the company will no longer go to the tent city unless accompanied by police, Locke said.

One resident of a nearby house has been threatened with violence three times, Locke said. On one occasion, as the resident was trying to get the licence plate number of a U-Haul van that was unloading furniture next to the tent city, a camper approached him and repeatedly said: “I’ll kill you.”

Another time, a camper approached the man and said: “If you’re going to keep complaining about us, the complaint department is hanging from a tree.” The camper pointed at a noose hanging in the encampment with the sign “Complaints Department.”

On July 19, a tent-city resident pulled out a knife as he left Save-on-Foods groceries with stolen merchandise. Police have also noticed bicycles in various stages of assembly, freshly painted bicycle frames and components and tools in tents.

• martini likes this

#14735 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:11 PM

"Namegans" Translation: Anarchy?

#14736 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:12 PM

This is the kind of behaviour that'll win you a mayor's award in Victoria.
  • pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and On the Level like this

#14737 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:22 PM

So is this process to get the campers to leave for a few weeks while they landscape the place separate from the process to permanently remove them? Or is Saanich not attempting to get a court order to have them permanently gone..?

#14738 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:08 AM

Imagine getting pushed around and harassed by these junkies while you are there to clean their ****ing toilets
  • songheesguy likes this

#14739 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:27 AM

So is this process to get the campers to leave for a few weeks while they landscape the place separate from the process to permanently remove them? Or is Saanich not attempting to get a court order to have them permanently gone..?

One suspects that if the campers are removed, Saanich will ensure the landscaping make the park less attractive as a tenting spot.

• Kilo95 likes this

#14740 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:37 AM

The way I am reading the quote from the article is to make the place more comfortable for them.  You have no idea how shocked and pissed I was when I read this  :mad:

Seriously thou, CoV is going to &^%^&* and now Saanich.  What the hell do hardworking taxpayers do about this mess.  Why do I pay taxes again?

Saanich wants the campers out of the park for two to three weeks to allow the district to remove hazardous materials, mow the lawn, prune shrubs and put down eight to 10 inches of wood chips. Meanwhile, the campers can take temporary shelter in any one of 102 of Saanich’s 171 parks.

• Midnightly and songheesguy like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users