Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#14741 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,000 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:02 AM

you pay taxes to allow the district to remove hazardous materials, mow the lawn, prune shrubs and put down eight to 10 inches of wood chips.

#14742 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:21 AM

Article in the paper today stating the Ministry of Transportation considers the encampment a traffic hazard.

#14743 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:21 AM

I wish I had a ton of money to burn because then I would head on down to oh say Beacon Hill park with an excavator and start building a new house.

A nice beautiful new house, fully fenced yard with million dollar views.  Then I would demand the city to provide free hook ups for water and sewer.  Two weeks in my trash cans would be out of the street for pick up haha

I'm being sarcastic obviously, but also a little serious.  Where does this tent city thing end because I can see people moving single and double wide trailers into parks next!!!

• Nparker, RoadRunner, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#14744 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:00 AM

One suspects that if the campers are removed, Saanich will ensure the landscaping make the park less attractive as a tenting spot.

Perhaps they will install some playground equipment.

• Nparker likes this

#14745 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:08 AM

It is a disgusting state!

I have written the Mayor and all Council members this past month, only to get a reply from Assistant to the City Clerk.

More emails sent this morning.

What makes more amazing is the upcoming election and current members running again. Delusional if they hope of getting back in. Or maybe its me that is delusional!

#14746 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:36 AM

Here's the thing that irks me most: when people are physically threatened or intimidated, robbed, having to ensure drugs pushers etc, a truly compassionate person would feel bad for them. They are human beings and they should not have to endure that. No one should.

I find it very upsetting to see the Homes Not Hate people, TAPS, et al, coldly dismiss these people as "hating on the homeless."
They are not. They are victims, too, and to try and shame them or marginalize them for simply being human beings who have a right to feel safe... Anyone who would so that is someone who needs their moral compass fixed, who has allowed their own agenda to cloud their judgment.
  • Nparker, spanky123, Midnightly and 3 others like this

#14747 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

Here's the thing that irks me most: when people are physically threatened or intimidated, robbed, having to ensure drugs pushers etc, a truly compassionate person would feel bad for them. They are human beings and they should not have to endure that. No one should.

I find it very upsetting to see the Homes Not Hate people, TAPS, et al, coldly dismiss these people as "hating on the homeless."
They are not. They are victims, too, and to try and shame them or marginalize them for simply being human beings who have a right to feel safe... Anyone who would so that is someone who needs their moral compass fixed, who has allowed their own agenda to cloud their judgment.

Exactly.  Grocery/retail workers shouldn't have to deal with knife wielding maniacs who come and take whatever they want from the store with zero fear of consequences (because they know there are none)

• martini and pennymurphy2000 like this

#14748 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:56 AM

The very reason why I boycott the fundraising activities of Cool Aid, Our Place and the others.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#14749 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:54 PM

This!
And I’d like to point out that our dear leader, I mean mayor, was very quick to jump on the «haters » name calling wagon. Then she turns around and complains when people call her names...
Personally, I’d much rather be called a c*** rthan a hater. Just sayin....

#14750 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:19 PM

WOW.  This article gives a good idea what is going on.  WTF Saanich!!!!!

https://www.timescol...ourt-1.23417312

Saanich wants the campers out of the park for two to three weeks to allow the district to remove hazardous materials, mow the lawn, prune shrubs and put down eight to 10 inches of wood chips. Meanwhile, the campers can take temporary shelter in any one of 102 of Saanich’s 171 parks.

When fire officers asked people to stop smoking in their tents, he said, Brett told them that the residents of Camp Namegans — as residents call the tent city — could do whatever they wanted within their homes.

Court heard that on July 4, Saanich Deputy Fire Chief Brock Henson asked one of the residents to put out his lit cigarette. The man did so, but Brett took it, lit it and smoked it in front of Henson.

On another occasion, a fire officer asked Brett to move her electrical generator away from her tent. Instead, she moved it inside her tent, Locke said.

The company contracted to service the porta-potties has also changed its procedures. On June 29, an employee was shoved, intimidated and harassed while cleaning the toilets, and the company will no longer go to the tent city unless accompanied by police, Locke said.

One resident of a nearby house has been threatened with violence three times, Locke said. On one occasion, as the resident was trying to get the licence plate number of a U-Haul van that was unloading furniture next to the tent city, a camper approached him and repeatedly said: “I’ll kill you.”

Another time, a camper approached the man and said: “If you’re going to keep complaining about us, the complaint department is hanging from a tree.” The camper pointed at a noose hanging in the encampment with the sign “Complaints Department.”

On July 19, a tent-city resident pulled out a knife as he left Save-on-Foods groceries with stolen merchandise. Police have also noticed bicycles in various stages of assembly, freshly painted bicycle frames and components and tools in tents.

Thank you for posting this. I don't think the general public has any idea what businesses and employees deal with daily. It's incredibly stressful. 

From that article, it left me feeling somewhat vindicated for what we are all experiencing being in the red zone around tent city. 

I did not know who Jason Sheena was. 

I'm just at a loss for words. How is it ok for the community to be victimized daily, and then we are told we don't have compassion. 

Talk about victimizing the victims. 

Edited by martini, 31 August 2018 - 09:27 PM.

• rmpeers likes this

#14751 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:29 PM

Rereading the TC article, I notice that the charade is starting to fall apart and we see that this is not so much about advocating for homeless people (which would be a worthy cause) as it is about providing cover for gang members and a chop shop, ie, basically a rerun of the courthouse scenario. This is not the way to make people more sympathetic to homeless people.
  • Bingo, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#14752 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:15 AM

Rereading the TC article, I notice that the charade is starting to fall apart and we see that this is not so much about advocating for homeless people (which would be a worthy cause) as it is about providing cover for gang members and a chop shop, ie, basically a rerun of the courthouse scenario. This is not the way to make people more sympathetic to homeless people.

We have a gutless system which continually fails to nip these camps in the bud before they get established.

The authorities know they are already facing a costly remediation of the park just as they had at the Courthouse.

#14753 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:43 AM

it is about providing cover for gang members and a chop shop

It can be said that the social safety net problem goes much deeper than that. This is election year, and unless we come to grips with the behaviour of our social justice elected officials, I fear the worst is yet to come unless we elect people that can effect change.

Lets itemize a few topics that law-abiding citizens might take exception to.

1-Lack of prosecution for illegal drug possesion

2-Lack of prosecution for illegal drug retail stores 

3-Implimentation of safe injection sites in order to safely consume illegal narcotics.

4-Lack of enforcement of current legislations and bylaws due to personal political agendas.

The benefactors of these political indiscretions and miscarriages of real justice are the criminal elements of our society, and they are thriving under these conditions. Drug cartels and their dealer networks are making fortunes off of our political undermining of our legal system. When we as a society support and accept the use and distribution of illegal narcotics, we will have no chance of expecting a civil society for ourselves and our children.

Edited by Arnold, 01 September 2018 - 06:44 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#14754 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:55 AM

I think it's time for media to start calling out alleged homeless activists who for whatever reasons, devote way too much time and money to protecting criminal behaviour rather than working to actually homeless people who need help. People in Victoria do not hate homeless people, but they have a right to hate gang members, drug dealers, etc.
  • Bingo, Midnightly, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#14755 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:05 AM

I hope no one in the Saanich tent city has fireworks in their tent!

#14756 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:17 AM

I think it's time for media to start calling out alleged homeless activists who for whatever reasons, devote way too much time and money to protecting criminal behaviour rather than working to actually homeless people who need help. People in Victoria do not hate homeless people, but they have a right to hate gang members, drug dealers, etc.

I would settle for calling out homeless activists who seem to spend most of their time campaigning and self-promoting when they have full times jobs at UVIC that the taxpayer is footing the bill for. It seems to me that if UVIC can operate effectively with so many people not seeming to be doing any actual work for the University then perhaps the taxpayers should be revisiting their subsidies. 

• pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#14757 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:35 AM

Thank you for posting this. I don't think the general public has any idea what businesses and employees deal with daily. It's incredibly stressful. 

You should read the entire article, I only posted parts of it that jumped out at me.  There are copyright laws that prevent me copying and pasting everything.  I probably pushed the envelope in what I posted

I don't buy the TC and haven't in a long time, I only looked up the article after seeing it on the front page of the TC as I passed by it in a grocery store

#14758 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:14 AM

BREAKING: fire crews are responding to Regina Park.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14759 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

An explosion was heard before smoke appeared.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14760 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:18 PM

"Quick, get the air horns we need to blast all the firefighters in the ears" said Brett

If I were the firefighters I would be stopping at Timmy's first and then with no lights and sirens stopping at every red light on the way there

• songheesguy likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)