Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25965 replies to this topic

#15101 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:01 PM

Is there a way to hear that CFAX interview now?.

http://www.iheartrad...oplay=1.8299516

• martini likes this

#15102 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:38 PM

Thanks!

#15103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:58 AM

Saanich Police are taking some sort of action at the park this morning.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:03 AM

Update: Saanich Police are working to vacate the camp.

• Nparker and tjv like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15105 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:19 AM

My grandparents lived at the Kiwanis in Duncan for 10 years. They had one of the little 1 bedroom row-house/cottages and my Grandpa used to do a lot of the maintenance there. After he passed she was supposed to vacate to one of the apartments but they let her stay there as they both volunteered so much of their time. This was 1979-90. Good place and there needs to be more like it

Yes, it was the little rowhouses that they built. I have a photo somewhere, mid 1960s I think. I remember my mum saying it was a very hot summer when they were building it.

• rjag likes this

#15106 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:25 AM

They most certainly are. Plugged up the Pat Bay inbound.

Highway Jam.jpg

Lots of activity.

Highway Jam2.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#15107 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:30 AM

Campers will of course just move on to another park.  The police need to be ready again with similar force to make arrests tomorrow morning, day after day until these people get the message.  Guess what campers there is free accommodation available in the city jails overnight, and I think they might even serve breakfast.  Bonus!

• lanforod likes this

#15108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

Thanks, Sparky.

Know it all.

#15109 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:36 AM

All they need to do is follow the law. Camp at night, pack up during the day and leave the park as it was. It's simple, and it doesn't result in the awful messes, contaminated soil and helps keep them out of trouble as they are busier with setting up and taking down each day.

• Nparker, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#15110 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:37 AM

Guess what campers there is free accommodation available in the city jails overnight, and I think they might even serve breakfast.  Bonus!

A gated community. Delightful.

• rjag and tjv like this

#15111 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:37 AM

Thanks, Sparky.

That's why they pay me the big dough.

• Mike K. and mbjj like this

#15112 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:25 AM

with what i've read they are heading back to Rudd park for the night... now if they settle in that will be another question but i don't think they will be let to settle in.. Rudd park is a fairly busy park, and with what i have been reading (facebook so take with a grain of salt) is that the park and the field are well used and can often be rented out to sports teams for practices and games on a regular basis.. along with it having fairly active playground (the one strong hard rule that seems to be enforced no tenting on parks with playgrounds)

#15113 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:15 PM

with what i've read they are heading back to Rudd park for the night... now if they settle in that will be another question but i don't think they will be let to settle in.. Rudd park is a fairly busy park, and with what i have been reading (facebook so take with a grain of salt) is that the park and the field are well used and can often be rented out to sports teams for practices and games on a regular basis.. along with it having fairly active playground (the one strong hard rule that seems to be enforced no tenting on parks with playgrounds)

I think that if Saanich continues to lean on them for the next week or two then they will disperse and head back to their homes or find another municipality.

• Nparker likes this

#15114 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:25 PM

I think that if Saanich continues to lean on them for the next week or two then they will disperse and head back to their homes or find another municipality.

i do hope that's the case.. and i do also hope that other municipalities keep the crack down and not just let it slide.. though i'm not sure how much faith i have in Vic PD but i will give it to them they are often stretched thin dealing with these issues and the fall out caused by these issues

#15115 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:51 PM

Really, if Saanich can manage to raise the PITA factor high enough, they'll head back into Victoria and start things there again.

The only parks they'll be interested in are the ones close to town, or close to concentrated hunting grounds like Uptown or maybe Royal Oak.

#15116 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:53 PM

i do hope that's the case.. and i do also hope that other municipalities keep the crack down and not just let it slide.. though i'm not sure how much faith i have in Vic PD but i will give it to them they are often stretched thin dealing with these issues and the fall out caused by these issues

Guaranteed they won't go back to Victoria before the election. Would undermine Helps in a big way and put her in a lose-lose. The Helps team has probably made that clear already.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#15117 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:21 PM

Guaranteed they won't go back to Victoria before the election. Would undermine Helps in a big way and put her in a lose-lose. The Helps team has probably made that clear already.

You mean Lisa "Bring it On" Helps sees a negative side to tent slums?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#15118 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:37 PM

at least a dozen of the police on site at carey rd. are from vicpd today.  in fact the tc photo shows all vicpd officers.  the article also says some campers tried to move back to rudd mid-day but saanich pd said no.

there are lots of supporters of the tent city.  today there are 42 tenters.  is there not 42 people in all of greater victoria willing to open their basement or their garden shed to a camper?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 September 2018 - 01:40 PM.

#15119 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:41 PM

You mean Lisa "Bring it On" Helps sees a negative side to tent slums?

It would derail her handling of the "message" and remind people of the tent city fiasco.

#15120 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:42 PM

at least a dozen of the police on site at carey rd. are from vicpd today.  in fact the tc photo shows all vicpd officers.  the article also says some campers tried to move back to rudd mid-day but saanich pd said no.

there are lots of supporters of the tent city.  today there are 42 tenters.  is there not 42 people in all of greater victoria willing to open their basement or their garden shed to a camper?

Sure they are, VicPD are preventing them from coming back across the "border".

Edited by spanky123, 18 September 2018 - 01:42 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users