Photo

Victoria homelessness issues

• Please log in to reply
15158 replies to this topic

#15141 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,218 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:40 PM

Sure they are, VicPD are preventing them from coming back across the "border".

Crowd Management Unit is a secondary duty shared by Victoria, Saanich & Oak Bay. I'm not too sure if Central Saanich is involved. In any event that's why it was mixed agency today.

#15142 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 309 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:20 PM

CTV news is reporting the campers were waiting at rudd park to start set up at 7pm, rudd park had a youth soccer game scheduled for this evening but that was cancelled due to the disruption over the park.. the campers have since changed their mind and plan to not camp in the park and move on... Chrissy Brett has decided they are going to head out to goldstream park and came out there for the next couple weeks...

#15143 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,322 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted Yesterday, 05:29 PM

Goldstream? Is Goldstream in JdF electoral area or in Langford, or does neither apply being a provincial park?

#15144 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 320 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:02 PM

gp does not sound very convenient. we shall see.

#15145 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,106 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:09 PM

Chrissy Brett has decided they are going to head out to Goldstream park and camp out there for the next couple weeks...

Brilliant...and let all their pollution run into the stream and kill off the native fishery. 

#15146 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,417 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:14 PM

Goldstream won’t last. That’s in Stew’s domain....

#15147 Nparker

Nparker
  • 19,860 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:34 PM

...Chrissy Brett has decided they are going to head out to goldstream park and came out there for the next couple weeks...

I assume they will be charged the standard Goldstream Park group camping fees.

"Regular group camping charges per night are the base rate for the site, which is $120.00/group site/night, plus $5/adult"

Chrissy's bill is going to add up fast.

#15148 stormy

stormy
  • 331 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:30 PM

Well apparently some are arriving here at Goldstream and there is a police presence, or was (up to 8-10 cars) a while ago.
Have not seen it myself but have heard about it through neighbourhood.

Edited by stormy, Yesterday, 09:15 PM.

#15149 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 43,239 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:34 PM

Are you aware of where in goldstream they’re setting up tents?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15150 RFS

RFS
  • 2,043 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:37 PM

I cant see them lasting at Goldstream. Nothing to steal nearby and too far from downtown

#15151 stormy

stormy
  • 331 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:44 PM

Are you aware of where in goldstream they’re setting up tents?

Goldstream campground. Just checking to see if it is the one by Ma’s or the one off the highway.

Edited by stormy, Yesterday, 08:47 PM.

• Mike K. and stormy like this

#15152 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,417 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:44 PM

Their lack of camp cleanliness will also attract wildlife. Don’t piss off the ravens! Raccoons, black bears, bush rats. Stews henchmen are the scariest though....

#15153 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 43,239 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:55 PM

If it’s near Ma Miller’s there’s a large residential community there complete with an elementary school. There is also a firehall.

But as Dasmo pointed out, this is Stew’s turf.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15154 Nparker

Nparker
  • 19,860 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:04 PM

...But as Dasmo pointed out, this is Stew’s turf.

Does Stew have jurisdiction over the activity in a provincial park (assuming the "campers" are the park proper).?

#15155 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,417 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:12 PM

They can only hide behind that invisible shield if their opponent believes it’s there... shoot they are close to the Brotherstons stomping grounds too... Nope, won’t last in this location long.

#15156 stormy

stormy
  • 331 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:13 PM

If it’s near Ma Miller’s there’s a large residential community there complete with an elementary school. There is also a firehall.

But as Dasmo pointed out, this is Stew’s turf.

Entrance by Ma Millers, partway down the hill before the park gatehouse.
The neighbour who spoke to the police was told to make sure vehicles and sheds are locked.
I am at Kettle Creek so just around the corner.

#15157 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 309 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:22 PM

I assume they will be charged the standard Goldstream Park group camping fees.

"Regular group camping charges per night are the base rate for the site, which is $120.00/group site/night, plus $5/adult"

Chrissy's bill is going to add up fast.

according to Brett on the news..persons with disabilities can camp free for up to 2 weeks at a time in provincial campgrounds... so i imagine they will take full advantage of those 2 weeks they can legally camp in the park for free..and it seems pacifica housing is offering to help cover any campground fees... (credit to ctv 11pm news report)

i have heard of this program before through a friend.. if a family with a child that has a disability (i'm pretty sure there has to be proof of some sort of the disability) they can camp for free.. i'm not sure if there is a limit on the amount of people that can be part of the group with the free camping policy... they do have a larger group but not as big as it once was each move they seem to lose people they have put a call out for meals delivered though their facebook group listing their current numbers at 15 adults...

#15158 Nparker

Nparker
  • 19,860 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:14 PM

according to Brett on the news..persons with disabilities can camp free for up to 2 weeks at a time in provincial campgrounds...

According to the government website the following procedures must be followed in order to qualify for the PWD free camping:

• Obtain, from your caseworker, a current calendar year Release of Information form issued by the BC Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation.
  • Upon arrival at the campground, show the campground operator the ORIGINAL approved form AND a second piece of identification.

There is a caveat: This discount does not apply to group camping. Since there is a maximum of eight persons (including children) allowed in a single provincial campsite, Chrissy's entourage should be considered "group camping". The maximum length of stay in any provincial park is 14 days per park, per calendar year.

#15159 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 309 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:36 PM

i can imagine a number in the camp have some sort of case worker who could sign off on some form saying they have a disability though secondary ID could be an issue.. i couldn't say if they have 1 group site campsite or multiple singles or if goldstream is simply waving some of the smaller details since it's later in the year and the sites arn't in use.. from the clip it showed they seemed to be settling in for the next few weeks

fire ban has been lifted so i guess that's a bit of a perk though i'm expecting to hear a call out for firewood next

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.