Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25933 replies to this topic

#15141 stormy

stormy
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:30 PM

Well apparently some are arriving here at Goldstream and there is a police presence, or was (up to 8-10 cars) a while ago.
Have not seen it myself but have heard about it through neighbourhood.

Edited by stormy, 18 September 2018 - 09:15 PM.

#15142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:34 PM

Are you aware of where in goldstream they’re setting up tents?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15143 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:37 PM

I cant see them lasting at Goldstream. Nothing to steal nearby and too far from downtown

#15144 stormy

stormy
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:44 PM

Are you aware of where in goldstream they’re setting up tents?

Goldstream campground. Just checking to see if it is the one by Ma’s or the one off the highway.

Edited by stormy, 18 September 2018 - 08:47 PM.

• Mike K. and stormy like this

#15145 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:44 PM

Their lack of camp cleanliness will also attract wildlife. Don’t piss off the ravens! Raccoons, black bears, bush rats. Stews henchmen are the scariest though....

#15146 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:55 PM

If it’s near Ma Miller’s there’s a large residential community there complete with an elementary school. There is also a firehall.

But as Dasmo pointed out, this is Stew’s turf.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15147 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:04 PM

...But as Dasmo pointed out, this is Stew’s turf.

Does Stew have jurisdiction over the activity in a provincial park (assuming the "campers" are the park proper).?

#15148 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:12 PM

They can only hide behind that invisible shield if their opponent believes it’s there... shoot they are close to the Brotherstons stomping grounds too... Nope, won’t last in this location long.

#15149 stormy

stormy
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:13 PM

If it’s near Ma Miller’s there’s a large residential community there complete with an elementary school. There is also a firehall.

But as Dasmo pointed out, this is Stew’s turf.

Entrance by Ma Millers, partway down the hill before the park gatehouse.
The neighbour who spoke to the police was told to make sure vehicles and sheds are locked.
I am at Kettle Creek so just around the corner.

#15150 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:22 PM

I assume they will be charged the standard Goldstream Park group camping fees.

"Regular group camping charges per night are the base rate for the site, which is $120.00/group site/night, plus $5/adult"

Chrissy's bill is going to add up fast.

according to Brett on the news..persons with disabilities can camp free for up to 2 weeks at a time in provincial campgrounds... so i imagine they will take full advantage of those 2 weeks they can legally camp in the park for free..and it seems pacifica housing is offering to help cover any campground fees... (credit to ctv 11pm news report)

i have heard of this program before through a friend.. if a family with a child that has a disability (i'm pretty sure there has to be proof of some sort of the disability) they can camp for free.. i'm not sure if there is a limit on the amount of people that can be part of the group with the free camping policy... they do have a larger group but not as big as it once was each move they seem to lose people they have put a call out for meals delivered though their facebook group listing their current numbers at 15 adults...

#15151 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:14 PM

according to Brett on the news..persons with disabilities can camp free for up to 2 weeks at a time in provincial campgrounds...

According to the government website the following procedures must be followed in order to qualify for the PWD free camping:

• Obtain, from your caseworker, a current calendar year Release of Information form issued by the BC Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation.
  • Upon arrival at the campground, show the campground operator the ORIGINAL approved form AND a second piece of identification.

There is a caveat: This discount does not apply to group camping. Since there is a maximum of eight persons (including children) allowed in a single provincial campsite, Chrissy's entourage should be considered "group camping". The maximum length of stay in any provincial park is 14 days per park, per calendar year.

• pennymurphy2000 and jasmineshinga like this

#15152 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:36 PM

i can imagine a number in the camp have some sort of case worker who could sign off on some form saying they have a disability though secondary ID could be an issue.. i couldn't say if they have 1 group site campsite or multiple singles or if goldstream is simply waving some of the smaller details since it's later in the year and the sites arn't in use.. from the clip it showed they seemed to be settling in for the next few weeks

fire ban has been lifted so i guess that's a bit of a perk though i'm expecting to hear a call out for firewood next

#15153 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:07 AM

I cant see them lasting at Goldstream. Nothing to steal nearby and too far from downtown

There is some truth to this.  There is limited street culture in that area so many will eventually find themselves drawn back downtown.

Their lack of camp cleanliness will also attract wildlife. Don’t piss off the ravens! Raccoons, black bears, bush rats. Stews henchmen are the scariest though....

Ironically, "Stews henchmen" are the ones building new apartment blocks that are entirely designed for rentals, or are providing subsidized housing as part of new developments.......without asking for taxpayer dollars.  Not exactly "henchmen".  

fire ban has been lifted so i guess that's a bit of a perk though i'm expecting to hear a call out for firewood next

From the two mountains of garbage left behind at the last "tent city", there will quickly be a never ending supply of junk to burn.

#15154 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:39 AM

I’m joking On-the-level. Although I wouldn’t mess with the Mayor if I was you ;-)
  • martini likes this

#15155 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:55 AM

I don't mind if they stay at Goldstream for 2 weeks so long as they:

• leave it exactly how it was when they got there
  • stay in designated campsites, not in the woods on the side of the road somewhere
  • do not increase local crime

Since none of the above is remotely likely, kick them out.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#15156 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

...The campers arrived at Goldstream on the evening of Tuesday the 18th, and began unpacking their belongings and setting up camp. Brett says they will likely stay two weeks, as that's the amount of time a provincial park will allow a person with disabilities to camp for free, and in the meantime they will sort through their belongings, get rid of any non-essentials, and decide where to go next.

http://www.iheartrad...ounds-1.8410934

Didn't this same group have over 4 months at Regina Park to sort through their belongings and get rid of any non-essentials? Based on the deluge of garbage left behind there, they either could not or chose not to do this. Why should anyone believe they will accomplish this task in 2 weeks at Goldstream? As far as that goes, why would any reasonable person believe anything Chrissy Brett says now?

• martini likes this

#15157 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:59 PM

Didn't this same group have over 4 months at Regina Park to sort through their belongings and get rid of any non-essentials? Based on the deluge of garbage left behind there, they either could not or chose not to do this. Why should anyone believe they will accomplish this task in 2 weeks at Goldstream? As far as that goes, why would any reasonable person believe anything Chrissy Brett says now?

they also left behind a dump truck load at the highway park area in the 4 days they were there

#15158 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:44 PM

they also left behind a dump truck load at the highway park area in the 4 days they were there

I think they deliberately collect a lot of junk that they know they don't want to take with them when they are asked to move.

• martini likes this

#15159 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:17 PM

When you essentially live a lifestyle that allows you to own only what you can carry, human nature tends to oblige the miscreant to grab anything that's not bolted down just in case they might need it for something down the road. ... and then to carry that "newly found" item back to their lair, to save it "for later".

These folks have no real  attachment to 99% of the objects they carry around, which is why they leave them in a garbage heap just as quickly as they gather them up (or steal them).

There's very little thought put into anything they choose to do ... they obediently follow the stronger personality around (in this case, Brett) endlessly, and focus on survival at any cost.

Unfortunately, "any cost" is essentially the dividing line between lawfulness, and lawlessness.

When you can justify in your mind that everything you do is essential for your own survival ... stealing something from somebodies back yard, or from inside their carport is easy ... as is stealing things like food from grocery store shelves.

It's a centuries old issue actually ... stealing what you can't afford in order to (at least as far as you're concerned) ensure your basic survival.

Of course the underlying truth is that, in 2018, no British Columbian, no Canadian is going to die due to lack of food or shelter, there are too many social safety nets installed in Canada.

It's all there for the taking - albeit with rules, regulations, and obligations attached to it  ... which is the catch if you're "living rough" because you don't want to be beholding to rules, regulations, and obligations.

• Nparker, LJ, spanky123 and 1 other like this

#15160 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:10 PM

chek:

Residents of two former tent cities in Saanich are now at Goldstream Provincial Park.

Approximately 40 campers moved to the park on Tuesday evening and were greeted by members of the West Shore RCMP.

The campers had planned to camp at Rudd Park overnight but were not allowed to start setting up until 7 p.m. due to a municipal bylaw. Saanich police were also prohibiting the unloading of larger items, like couches, from the groups’ U-Haul trailers. The trailers were provided by advocates.

Camp organizer Chrissy Brett said the entire trailers would have had to be unloaded in order to get sleeping bags and tents.

She also said they chose Goldstream park because people with disabilities can camp for free for up to two weeks.

“And there’s a social housing program that’s willing to help with funding for people who aren’t on persons with disabilities.”

ctv:

Tent city residents forced out of two encampments in the last week have left Saanich entirely and relocated to Goldstream Provincial Park.

Members of West Shore RCMP greeted campers who arrived at the park with their belongings inside U-Haul trucks.

The group of about 40 people had planned to camp overnight at Rudd Park, but Saanich police weren't allowing them to set up before 7 p.m. as per a municipal bylaw. Police also weren't going to allow campers to empty out their U-Haul trailers with items like couches into the park.

Camp organizers say the move is the outcome of two evictions – the first at Regina Park last Friday and then being expelled from provincial land along Ravine Way Tuesday morning.

They say their plan is to stay at Goldstream Provincial Park for at least two weeks.

"Persons with disabilities can camp up to two weeks for free in a provincial campground, and there's a social housing program that's willing to help," said organizer Chrissy Brett.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 September 2018 - 04:11 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users