Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#15881 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:02 PM

...The situation for the hard to house continues without any serious solutions and this means for them to get anyone to pay attention they need to get into people's faces.

Shelter has been offered to the "campers". Many have refused it. When the public sees this, their sympathy diminishes. CB's "in your face" tactics will not succeed.

#15882 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:43 PM

They have been offered various shelter options but have turned them down because they don't want to break up the mob. They want to be housed all together so they can be "safe" and then they can spend the day socializing with each other. No mention of getting a job or anything like that, no volunteering to clean up the parks they want to use, nothing beneficial to the community at all. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15883 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:50 PM

Liking them or not changes very little for them.   The situation for the hard to house continues without any serious solutions and this means for them to get anyone to pay attention they need to get into people's faces.

"hard to house" means "hard to house".  The most irresponsible thing to do is to just make this about housing.  Maintaining yourself to live in a free home is a barrier for some, but without addressing that, homes are pointless.

• Midnightly likes this

#15884 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:50 PM

I honestly do not think they care about the sympathy of the public.   This will continue until some long term solution is found.   It is not going away.   If nothing is done we will be having this same conversation in a year, five years, ten years etc.    They will continue to be in the parks, as they were in my neighbourhood park for more than a decade and no one got them to move along.   

At least at somewhere like Cattle Point there are not a lot of people nearby to be annoyed by them.   

#15885 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

At least at somewhere like Cattle Point there are not a lot of people nearby to be annoyed by them.   

Not many people in Bella Bella (for example) either and I'm pretty sure they could live somewhere like that for the rest of their lives without ever having to worry about packing up their tents. So go already.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15886 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:04 PM

That's a provincial sanctuary for wild flowers.  Then there is the issue of collected garbage.  It's nothing but a disaster.

#15887 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:39 AM

I've been asking myself this for years. I DON'T expect local municipalities to solve the problem. I expect them to advocate and even pressure higher levels of government to find solutions that work. 

Here is the problem, government has offered shelter and they turned it down because basically they want free condos and not mats/cots in a gym, etc.  Where do we go from here?  How can there be solutions that work when what each side is offering is worlds apart.

My solution?  A comfortable jail cell each and every night they break the law.  Might even come with a free breakfast

#15888 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:09 AM

I happened to be looking at some newspaper clippings from the early 1980s. Two issues of the Times Colonist had, for their front page coverage, a large article on the poor of Victoria, and another one about panhandling downtown. Nothing's changed and it probably never will.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#15889 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:20 AM

good to see the oak bay campers were issued a stern letter and an invoice.

Even though there are still a few months left to 2018, this year has already almost doubled the number of used needles collected compared to last year. As of September, the clean team had recovered 5,002 needles compared to 3,271 in 2017. The amount of needles has been steadily increasing, spiking in 2016 with 4,647 needles, because of the tent city demonstration, Caunter said.

https://www.vicnews....dles-in-a-week/

#15890 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:20 AM

^^The myth that homelessness can come to an end.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 19 October 2018 - 06:20 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#15891 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:40 AM

On some light shed. Her kids taken away. In her own words. https://www.facebook...53915444796281/

#15892 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:14 AM

As would anyones who is not home taking care of them.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#15893 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:22 AM

Do you think they’ve ever considered pooling their resources and renting or buying a house? Twenty-five people contributing $100 a month could get them a huge place, with Ms Brett continuing in her role as den-mother.
  • Nparker, sdwright.vic and todd like this

#15894 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:55 AM

Do you think they’ve ever considered pooling their resources and renting or buying a house? Twenty-five people contributing $100 a month could get them a huge place, with Ms Brett continuing in her role as den-mother.

With Ms Brett continuing in her role as den-mother at HER house.

#15895 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:59 AM

I think she is wielding these people as a weapon for her cause which seems more about land claims than the homeless.
  • martini, Awaiting Juno and Cassidy like this

#15896 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:13 AM

At this point I am not sure what Chrissy Brett's real cause is, but she's certainly using some of these people as her pawns.

• martini and Cassidy like this

#15897 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:49 AM

about an hour ago

https://www.facebook.com/campnamegans/

Call for witnesses! Oak Bay Police are wrapping Namegans Nation camp in police tape as we speak. If you have time, please head down to Cattle Point to witness and support us. Thank you!

#15898 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:51 AM

I think she is wielding these people as a weapon for her cause which seems more about land claims than the homeless.

She is not a person with any sort of possible "land claims" - she is not from here

• martini and Cassidy like this

#15899 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:53 AM

Do you think they’ve ever considered pooling their resources and renting or buying a house? Twenty-five people contributing $100 a month could get them a huge place, with Ms Brett continuing in her role as den-mother. Messiah

#15900 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:54 AM

...Call for witnesses! Oak Bay Police are wrapping Namegans Nation camp in police tape as we speak...

I'd love to witness this...and cheer.  :)

• martini likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users