Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25851 replies to this topic

#16121 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:22 AM

Seriously.........If you have driven by Regina Park, which was previously just a bunch of overgrowth, shrubs and bushes, it's now a proper park with trails and benches and pic nic tables etc. Saanich actually put almost a quarter million into fixing it up, and now the tent people want to come back and ruin it again.

#16122 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:10 AM

I've always believed that, for the most part, a tiger can't change its stripes. What you see is what you get. It takes a whole lot of will power to transcend your current state and move onto another way of living.

#16123 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:33 AM

Wasn't she last seen back at the recently remediated Regina Park?

She wants to play activist it makes her feel important. Meanwhile you’ve had a couple of kids .The sadest thing is she’s decided that other things are more important than parenting her own children.
  • martini and Midnightly like this

#16124 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:53 AM

...The saddest thing is she’s decided that other things are more important than parenting her own children.

Maybe her absence is the greatest gift she will ever give them.

#16125 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,228 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:58 AM

Based on the state of the Nanaimo tent city, what are the odds of the modular housing resembling this paradisaical vision?

More like this:

FQKjMaM.jpg

Edited by dasmo, 21 November 2018 - 10:59 AM.

• Mike K., Nparker, Wayne and 2 others like this

#16126 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:51 AM

Maybe her absence is the greatest gift she will ever give them.

In a way they are the same thing .She is not bonded with her kids to be the best parent she could be .To make parenting her first priority.

#16127 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 12:46 PM

More like this:

FQKjMaM.jpg

Shouldn't the picnic tables be in the fire pit...

#16128 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:51 PM

any updates on where camp namegans has set up? or has chrissy finally accepted that she isn't going to get her way, isn't going to be given houses for everyone packed up her tent (though wasn't it taken by saanich police?) and gone home?

#16129 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:17 AM

^I'll guess they went inside for the winter, because its too cold to be in a tent for the next few months.   that's my guess at least

On another note my company was asked to volunteer to build check out stands similar to what is at grocery stores at the Mustard Seed Food Bank so that clients can feel normal when they get their groceries.  WTF!!!!!!!!

#16130 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:44 AM

^ I worked with the person who does those projects, Herowork, and he does some amazing things. Heck of a guy!

Matt.

#16131 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:14 PM

On another note my company was asked to volunteer to build check out stands similar to what is at grocery stores at the Mustard Seed Food Bank so that clients can feel normal when they get their groceries.  WTF!!!!!!!!

I think coming the conclusion that you need the help of these services is hard enough.  Anything that can be done to make the clients feel "normal" sounds like a good idea.

I don't mean to imply, but the "WTF" sounds like you think the clientele is strictly unabashed leeches and there are no hardworking families that can't make the ends meet without the help of the food bank.

• martini likes this

#16132 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:22 PM

Slippery slope...

What are they going to get to pay for their food after their feel good check out? Monopoly money?
  • tjv likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#16133 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:01 PM

I think coming the conclusion that you need the help of these services is hard enough.  Anything that can be done to make the clients feel "normal" sounds like a good idea.

I don't mean to imply, but the "WTF" sounds like you think the clientele is strictly unabashed leeches and there are no hardworking families that can't make the ends meet without the help of the food bank.

I think that WTF is why TJV is being asked to volunteer his time and labour when there are thousands of people who use the services who appear to have lots of free time.

Edited by spanky123, 25 November 2018 - 01:02 PM.

• tjv likes this

#16134 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:04 PM

Does the Mustard seed provide instructions on budgeting? buying things on sale, shopping around, looking for deals.

They could provide food but also some help in this area to help people stretch their dollars.

We all know people that can buy $50 worth of food for $25, using sales and coupons.

#16135 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:53 PM

I think that WTF is why TJV is being asked to volunteer his time and labour when there are thousands of people who use the services who appear to have lots of free time.

Wow. Lots of free time eh? Try being a single parent or senior trying to make ends meet. There are plenty who work and still need help. Unless you've been in the trenches, it's easy to assume who the clientele is.

#16136 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:39 PM

i don't think it is a bad idea who set up a food bank in a store type style.. where items can be put on a shelf and the user is given a basket with instructions (you are limited to X amount of produce, X amount of packaged goods or dairy) and they can pick the items best suited for their home vrs getting a pre-done up bag or hamper only to get home and find out half the stuff within it is things your family wouldn't or couldn't eat

• Nparker and martini like this

#16137 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:03 PM

Maybe they think TJV is more qualified to build something?  I thought he was in construction of some sort based on previous posts.

#16138 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:52 PM

^correct

as for building this check out arrangement I suggest they take everyone who uses the food bank and you have to do a mandatory 5 hours per month to get your stipend.  I'm willing to show them how to do it, but I am not going to do it while they all sit there and watch!

I've said this before, I refuse to give to any local charities because all they do is enable people and in no way teach to get off the system.  Now we have taught them that its acceptable to create tent cities and leave piles of garbage in city parks.  Unbelievable!

• A Girl is No one likes this

#16139 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:07 PM

^correct

as for building this check out arrangement I suggest they take everyone who uses the food bank and you have to do a mandatory 5 hours per month to get your stipend.  I'm willing to show them how to do it, but I am not going to do it while they all sit there and watch!

I've said this before, I refuse to give to any local charities because all they do is enable people and in no way teach to get off the system.  Now we have taught them that its acceptable to create tent cities and leave piles of garbage in city parks.  Unbelievable!

My personal rule is if you can't give from the heart......then don't give at all. 

I myself participate in the charities that hit home the closest with me. There are way too many charities out there to pick from, so I say pick one that you have the most empathy for.  This will be different for everyone, as it's a personal thing.  It could be volunteering at the Mustard Seed, it could be helping out at  soup kitchen, it could be helping to clear invasive plants and shrubs in a park, it could be helping out a single parent during the Christmas season etc. 

One thing is for sure.....if feels good to give.

• Nparker, martini and Hotel Mike like this

#16140 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:11 PM

Wow. Lots of free time eh? Try being a single parent or senior trying to make ends meet. There are plenty who work and still need help. Unless you've been in the trenches, it's easy to assume who the clientele is.

And TJV and the others being asked aren't working? I think that it is entirely reasonable to ask that those who need the handouts put in some time and effort to help out. I am sure that some people do, there are lots of people who don't though.

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users