Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25855 replies to this topic

#16161 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:17 PM

3 police cars (no ambulances nor firetrucks) just pulled up to Our Place with sirens and lights.

#16162 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:50 PM

3 police cars (no ambulances nor firetrucks) just pulled up to Our Place with sirens and lights.

Get some good photos of the sirens.... :)

#16163 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:01 PM

...and tomorrow the sun will shine, people will have breakfast (it other words this is something new?)

#16164 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:32 PM

...and tomorrow the sun will shine, people will have breakfast (it other words this is something new?)

It's unusual to see such a large police presence at Our Place; ambulances and fire trucks not so much.

#16165 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:42 AM

maybe someone there had a single use plastic bag lol

Anyway, I wouldn't know what goes on down there, I try to avoid downtown as much as possible, particularly that stretch of Pandora.  Everything is available in the suburbs with lots of free ample parking

• martini likes this

#16166 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:45 AM

maybe someone there had a single use plastic bag lol

Anyway, I wouldn't know what goes on down there, I try to avoid downtown as much as possible, particularly that stretch of Pandora. Everything is available in the suburbs with lots of free ample parking

Myself as well. I pulled into the parking lot of what used to be the Super 8 motel. What used to be a Liquor Depot? Pulled in to make a call. I was alarmed as what used to be the store front was all boarded up with metal sheeting. There were multiple guys there with mattresses, sleeping bags and stuff everywhere. A table with a large sharps dispenser. Dude was dropping one in as I was processing what I was seeing. Decided to make my call elsewhere. Lol

#16167 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:27 AM

Yup, it's no longer a motel but more of a shelter/low barrier housing facility. The liquor store was replaced by a management office.

Spoons is still there, though.

• martini likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16168 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:14 AM

Yup, it's no longer a motel but more of a shelter/low barrier housing facility. The liquor store was replaced by a management office.

It is run by PHS. Low/no barrier.

• martini likes this

#16169 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:23 AM

Yes from the street side you see Spoons and nothing out of the ordinary. I'd forgotten the liquor store shut down. I have no idea what management would be running out of there.
I guess Pacifica is ok with that going on? It's their property. No?

#16170 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:38 AM

Myself as well. I pulled into the parking lot of what used to be the Super 8 motel. What used to be a Liquor Depot? Pulled in to make a call. I was alarmed as what used to be the store front was all boarded up with metal sheeting. There were multiple guys there with mattresses, sleeping bags and stuff everywhere. A table with a large sharps dispenser. Dude was dropping one in as I was processing what I was seeing. Decided to make my call elsewhere. Lol

Let me guess, you floored it out of there with tires smoking? haha

So what's happening over at Tally Ho, I haven't driven by there in a while.  The last time I think it looked like a parking lot for shopping carts.  I would hate to own any property anywhere in that area now

• martini likes this

#16171 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:26 PM

Let me guess, you floored it out of there with tires smoking? haha

So what's happening over at Tally Ho, I haven't driven by there in a while. The last time I think it looked like a parking lot for shopping carts. I would hate to own any property anywhere in that area now

Hahaha, not quite. Just checked my door locks and rolled on out.

Haven't been by the Tally Ho either. I know theft is an issue for Lifestyle Market next door.

#16172 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:52 PM

Yes from the street side you see Spoons and nothing out of the ordinary. I'd forgotten the liquor store shut down. I have no idea what management would be running out of there.
I guess Pacifica is ok with that going on? It's their property. No?

No, it is not a Pacifica property. It is being run by the Portland Hotel Society.

Edited by Mattjvd, 30 November 2018 - 12:53 PM.

• martini likes this

#16173 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:29 AM

The Sooke Baptist Church agreed to provide shelter from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. but only with strict rules. That meant searching anyone coming into the shelter as well as their belongings, among other requirements.

If any banned items such as drugs or alcohol were found, their stuff would be confiscated.

It’s an approach advocates say would scare off many in critical need.

https://www.cheknews...dispute-513224/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 December 2018 - 11:30 AM.

#16174 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:26 PM

UVic activist « research » comes to the rescue again:
https://www.timescol...tudy-1.23511732

Charitable sector is about to overtake the tourism industry in Victoria. Another example of universities used as propaganda. What they fail to mention is that most of this $ is taken from taxpayers so unlike tourism or high tech revenue, they don’t create wealth. At one point, they will run out of taxpayer money to fuel this industry. I’m so annoyed with all the BS out there that, of course, the TC is more than excited to print.

#16175 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:38 PM

They must have been reading our comments over the past years on VV and how many hundreds of millions of dollars that are wasted spent.

Edited by spanky123, 01 December 2018 - 07:39 PM.

• rjag, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#16176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:39 PM

I’m at a total loss here. Who is/what is “civil society,” as this sector refers to itself as?

Isn’t civil society individuals within a community acting with civility towards each other?

But that aside, how can a charity also be an economic driver? What are its outputs that generate wealth, and who’s generating that wealth? Or is it merely calculating only the inputs it receives from taxpayers?
  • Nparker, Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16177 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:48 PM

Its what I have said numerous times, the business of poverty is alive and well and what would be the economic shock if homelessness was solved? 

And like Mike said, its not an economic driver its a drain to the system as that is funds that could be used to generate growth not leech it

• A Girl is No one likes this

#16178 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:59 PM

partnership between the Victoria Foundation and the University of Victoria, analyzed the tax returns of 994 charitable organizations and found the total direct and indirect impact of those organizations to be $4.03 billion on the local economy

am i reading this right?! there are approx 994 charitable organizations within the greater Victoria area?! and a 4 BILLION dollar impact on the local economy?! that is crazy amount of money (direct and indirect from donations of items like food i'm sure) going into the poverty industry

#16179 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:11 AM

All this financial mumbo jumbo does not surprise me. Charity can provide more income for for the charity providers than what is spent on the charity recipients. (or "donees" as they are referred to by the CRA).

Take the Victoria Dandelion Society as an example. 53% of their income (read tax deductible donations) for the year ending August 2017 was spent on management fees and fundraising efforts alone.

That's an economic generator for someone right?

Don't believe me? Have a peek for yourself.

https://apps.cra-arc...&fpe=2017-08-31

• martini, Hotel Mike, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#16180 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 08:44 AM

I’m at a total loss here. Who is/what is “civil society,” as this sector refers to itself as?

Isn’t civil society individuals within a community acting with civility towards each other?

But that aside, how can a charity also be an economic driver? What are its outputs that generate wealth, and who’s generating that wealth? Or is it merely calculating only the inputs it receives from taxpayers?

Awww, sure it is.  Think about all that money being spend at liquor stores, stores that sell cigarettes and lets not forget the local drug dealer.  The homeless are providing jobs and wealth to those store owners, plus a new car for the drug dealer, etc.  The homeless are an economic engine in this City  :squint:

Take the Victoria Dandelion Society as an example. 53% of their income (read tax deductible donations) for the year ending August 2017 was spent on management fees and fundraising efforts alone.

My mom made a good size donation to the Dandelion Society and the next year received a huge color brochure requesting another donation.  She was so annoyed that money was being wasted on that, she never donated again

• Midnightly, jasmineshinga and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users