Photo

Victoria homelessness issues

• Please log in to reply
16489 replies to this topic

#16301 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:17 PM

We're talking about 1% of the population - in order to get people out of parks and not sleeping in doorways, I'm willing to contribute as a taxpayer to that cost. 

it's much smaller than that.  the last pit count had 158 people living outside.  and 1500 total homeless.

1% would be in the neighbourhood of 4000.

#16302 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:24 PM

Has anyone ever noticed how the housing crisis/homelessness is almost never framed publicly in the perspective of percentage of the total population?

Edited by Nparker, 10 February 2019 - 03:24 PM.

#16303 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:28 PM

What I want to know is how many homeless have been out sleeping outdoors this past week?  Where is the tent city?

maybe there are enough shelter beds - hmmmmmmm.  Hey Chrissy, I want answers!

• A Girl is No one likes this

#16304 LJ

LJ
  • 8,931 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

Well we could implement the green new deal that some dems want to put in place....

http://thefederalist...green-new-deal/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#16305 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,515 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:21 AM

^And as this paper is a far right one, I am sure the extent of what its saying is a wee bit hyperbole.
  • Brantastic likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#16306 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:24 AM

well for sure nobody is proposing trains to Hawaii. the right should stop saying stuff like that.

“unwilling to work” was in the text for a while then removed. right should move on from that.

all fossil fuel vehicles and power generating gone in 10 years every building upgraded stiff like that is impossible. right should focus on that.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 February 2019 - 07:26 AM.

#16307 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,723 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

Speaking of which:

"I think the Democrats have had a horrible six weeks in 2019. They're the ones at the table now that can't get this [border security deal] done. They're the ones hurdling us toward a shutdown. The top Democrat in Virginia is an accused racist. The second top Democrat in Virginia is an accused rapist, difference of a letter and they've got this congresswoman from Minnesota again having anti-Semitic sewage spilling from her mouth overnight [Rep. Ilhan Omar]. And then, you've got people running for president on the Green New Deal, 70 percent taxes, socialized medicine, they want to do away with cows, they want to do away with gas, they want to do away with cow gas and air travel," Conway said. "They're sitting on their hands while the president is speaking against abortion in the eighth and ninth month, trying to stop human trafficking and sex trafficking, I mean this has been a really terrible six weeks and we need a fully functioning Washington where both parties are focused on 2019 and not 2020."

- https://townhall.com...unsafe-n2541144

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16308 North Shore

North Shore
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:19 AM

Well we could implement the green new deal that some dems want to put in place....

http://thefederalist...green-new-deal/

I, for one, don't give a sideways F about how they do ICE or Green New Deals down in the US when we are discussing Victoria Homelessness issues...

• Nparker and Redd42 like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#16309 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,723 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:39 AM

Well you ought to give a sideways F, because our neighbours to the south would like to provide a home for every American, and considering how local politicians refer to American homelessness initiatives when exploring local initiatives the Green New Deal is absolutely in-keeping with homelessness issues in Victoria.

• Rob Randall likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16310 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:55 AM

considering how local politicians refer to American homelessness initiatives when exploring local initiatives the Green New Deal is absolutely in-keeping with homelessness issues in Victoria.

Portland Residents Call 911 Every 15 Minutes To Complain About Homeless People

https://townhall.com...people-n2541107

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 February 2019 - 11:56 AM.

#16311 aastra

aastra
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:56 AM

Only in Victoria would Portland residents call 911 every 15 minutes to complain about something.

#16312 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,515 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:37 AM

As I was once told about calling 911, the squeaky wheel get the grease.

One person calls about an issue, the dispatcher prioritizes it themselves. So it may be deemed low priority. Now if six people call about the same issue, it suddenly becomes important.

Just like patrolling a neighborhood. The more you call in about issues, the more that area gets prioritized.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#16313 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:45 AM

While Chris agrees, it is definitely cold, the key is having a good sleeping bag. He doesn’t want to be recorded, named or photographed because he likes to stay anonymous.

Chris is one of 13,000 people in Victoria that don’t have a permanent place to live.

https://www.vicnews....spite-the-cold/

Another big issue identified by McKenzie is the lack of supervised inhalation sites in Victoria. The Harbour, a supervised injection site, sits right next to Our Place Society does not have offer safe inhalation.

“A lot of smokers are hanging around outside … and not going into the shelter because they want to smoke overnight but they want to be close to The Harbour … this is a place of safety for them,” says McKenzie.

McKenzie says the majority of overdoses come from smoking drugs because it offers a false sense of security as opposed to injecting the drugs.

#16314 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:38 AM

While Chris agrees, it is definitely cold, the key is having a good sleeping bag. He doesn’t want to be recorded, named or photographed because he likes to stay anonymous.

Chris is one of 13,000 people in Victoria that don’t have a permanent place to live.

https://www.vicnews....spite-the-cold/

Another big issue identified by McKenzie is the lack of supervised inhalation sites in Victoria. The Harbour, a supervised injection site, sits right next to Our Place Society does not have offer safe inhalation.

“A lot of smokers are hanging around outside … and not going into the shelter because they want to smoke overnight but they want to be close to The Harbour … this is a place of safety for them,” says McKenzie.

McKenzie says the majority of overdoses come from smoking drugs because it offers a false sense of security as opposed to injecting the drugs.

One of 1,300 people not 13,000!

#16315 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:10 AM

One of 1,300 people not 13,000!

Typo or subliminal messaging?

#16316 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:19 AM

Typo or subliminal messaging?

the whole article is a big mess. probably just a typo. 

#16317 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:51 PM

The City of Victoria set aside more than $100,000 for the storage facility two years ago to cover building materials and the first year of staff wages but had trouble tracking down a good location for the site.

https://www.vicnews....rias-our-place/

#16318 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 810 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:12 PM

Hmmmm.
2 things came to mind when I read this:

« No illegal items are permitted within the storage unit, but McKenzie noted that a huge portion of this space is building trust with the community, so bins won’t be searched unless there is a reason to do so.« 

1) Nothing illegal stored there but has a special section for shopping carts. I can’t think of any « legal » shopping carts off store property...

2) What is it people say about what comes in a sentence before the word « but »? It’s completely nullified?

More lies to the general public. It’s really insulting and I don’t think it helps their case.... I really wish they would stop lying all the time. just my opinion...

#16319 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,723 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:29 AM

Pssst. Can I let you in on a little secret? Keep it under your hat, but — the poverty rate has fallen again. In fact, it’s at a new all-time low. Statistics Canada reports that the percentage of Canadians falling below the official poverty line in 2017 fell to 9.5 per cent, down from 15.6 per cent in 2006. That still leaves much room for improvement. But this is remarkable progress.

Of course, the official measure of poverty, known as the Market Basket Measure, has only been around for a few years. But an earlier, unofficial measure, known as the Low Income Cut Off, goes back much further. It, too, is at an all-time low, after a steady, two decades-long decline. Indeed, at 7.8 per cent, it’s barely half what it was in 1996.

So why do I call it a secret? Because for the longest time it was, if not impermissible to admit that poverty was in decline, certainly not the done thing. A vast media-academic industry had grown up around the notion that poverty was steadily getting worse, or leastways was not getting better — and could not, absent radical changes in policy.

- https://nationalpost...y-is-in-decline
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.

#16320 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:51 AM

Police are also having “significant challenges” with crime and disorder in the Burnside-Gorge area and around Mayfair Shopping Centre, Manak said.

https://www.timescol...-say-1.23658605

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users