Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#16421 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,990 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:04 AM

that sounds like kidnapping. what’s a justification for transporting someone without their consent if they are not arrested?
  • Rob Randall likes this

#16422 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:12 AM

^Talk about a slippery slope.

Next time one of those pesky Tesla drivers overstays the 1 hour parking limit on Oak Bay Avenue let's relocate him to Langford and teach him a lesson.

Edited by Rob Randall, 30 May 2019 - 10:16 AM.

#16423 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:50 AM

^ Now why do you gotta be cruel?

#16424 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

^Sorry, I let me emotions get ahead of me.

#16425 aastra

aastra
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:13 AM

Never thought I'd ever see that happen on this board.

• Daveyboy likes this

#16426 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:20 AM

So the laws just shouldn't apply to the homeless?  You really don't have to worry about the Tesla owner paying a fine, they will.  The homeless person on the other hand could likely careless.  Further, other methods of enforcement are likely to be even more punitive and costly.  

#16427 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

So the laws just shouldn't apply to the homeless?  You really don't have to worry about the Tesla owner paying a fine, they will.  The homeless person on the other hand could likely careless.  Further, other methods of enforcement are likely to be even more punitive and costly.  

Do you want to trigger a multi-million dollar Supreme Court challenge? Because that's how you end up with a multi-million dollar Supreme Court challenge.

#16428 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:42 PM

Los Angeles officials are bracing for the release of a report that’s likely to show little or no progress in reining in homelessness, despite the $619 million they spent last year to grapple with the crisis.

The gloomy prognosis on one of Southern California’s top political issues emerged during two recent briefings on homelessness and the 2019 point-in-time count, the results of which are due to be released May 31.

https://www.latimes....0511-story.html

#16429 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:02 PM

^So that shows you can't spend your way out of the problem, why do we keep trying.

Where did all these homeless people come from? Where were they 30 years ago? What's changed to make homelessness so prevalent?

The only thing I have seen change is the progressives continued demand to give people more free shite.

Are these people homeless or workless?

If they are homeless and working steady, I agree they need a place to live. It might be with two or three other people and it might be a mattress on the floor, but there will be bathroom and kitchen and they will be required to keep it clean.

If they are workless then I don't care so much. They are either making themselves unemployable or they don't want to work.

For those that have mental health issues they should be put in care for their own safety and the safety of those around them.

For people who have drug issues they should be put into rehab and if they don't want to go - that's the end of their benefits.

We should not be enabling drug use or normalizing it.

• Shelby, Midnightly, jasmineshinga and 1 other like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#16430 Shelby

Shelby
  • 269 posts
  • LocationToo close

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:00 PM

^So that shows you can't spend your way out of the problem, why do we keep trying.

Where did all these homeless people come from? Where were they 30 years ago? What's changed to make homelessness so prevalent?

The only thing I have seen change is the progressives continued demand to give people more free shite.

Are these people homeless or workless?

If they are homeless and working steady, I agree they need a place to live. It might be with two or three other people and it might be a mattress on the floor, but there will be bathroom and kitchen and they will be required to keep it clean.

If they are workless then I don't care so much. They are either making themselves unemployable or they don't want to work.

For those that have mental health issues they should be put in care for their own safety and the safety of those around them.

For people who have drug issues they should be put into rehab and if they don't want to go - that's the end of their benefits.

We should not be enabling drug use or normalizing it.

Field of Dreams...Build it, they will come. I dont remember before Our Place, was it always this bad on Pandora?

#16431 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:09 PM

No it wasn't. Way back in the day, the churches in town ran the soup kitchens. There was a few prominent homeless in the downtown core. They tended to be on their own. For the most part, they were respectful and certainly didn't go out of their way looking for trouble. I don't remember any encounters with aggressive panhandler types. I grew up here and would often take the bus into town with friends for cheap movie Tuesdays. We never felt unsafe. Now as an adult I don't go to movies downtown, preferring to go to Silvercity or Landmark theatre at University Heights. I would never let my young teen go downtown by themselves. 

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#16432 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:32 PM

Field of Dreams...Build it, they will come. I dont remember before Our Place, was it always this bad on Pandora?

No, it wasn't. I've been dealing with street people since the mid 90's and the only differences between then and now is the level of aggression and the numbers. Seven times out of ten I'll be told where to go or threatened with violence when asking them politely not to break the law or occupy someone else's property. And what's made them brave partly is the lack of enforcing the law. Add into the mix how they've been told over the last 5 years from special interest groups and liberals (the new, not the old) the situation they find themselves in is not their fault be it drugs or alcohol.

Try to remember a decade or more ago if you saw junkies shooting up in broad daylight on a public sidewalk, or block the doors to businesses, or have everything from their cart dumped out and blocking a public sidewalk as they sit there and sort through it. See if you can recall the last time cops walked by street people with open alcohol downtown and ignored it like they do now.

Victoria is a virus that is infecting other municipalities. When one community fails to take action (thanks Helps), the fall out spreads. Places like Langford and Sooke has seen an increase in street people. And who'd think I'd see street people and panhandlers down Beacon Avenue in Sidney By the Sea.

Sorry, I wanted to keep this post short but it's been a sore subject lately. I'll go into town and ask myself "why do I keep coming here" after watching the latest antics from the downtown locals. A good place to get an eyeful is to hang out on lower Pandora across from Centennial Square, where the same people congregate all day every day (after trying so hard to find jobs you know), and watch them yell, drink, scream, commit assaults. Observe the tourists as they walk on by and turn their attention to the spectacle like people visiting a zoo would. I'm shocked tourism hasn't plummeted.

Edited by FawltyVic, 10 June 2019 - 10:42 PM.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#16433 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:37 AM

Citing risks to its future residents and employees from a neighbouring supportive-housing complex, Berwick Retirement Communities has cancelled a $52-million seniors-residence project in Parksville.  The project meant 150 jobs, tax revenue and development cost charges of more than $2.5 million

https://www.timescol...risk-1.23851496

#16434 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:40 AM

When you realize Victoria’s tourism industry heavily benefits from and relies on cruise ships with their captive audiences it starts to make sense why a mayor heavily concerned about a climate emergency is encouraging growth of the local cruise ship industry.

So as long as more ships arrive each with thousands of passengers, the numbers will remain propped up and the core businesses operating. But higher ferry fares, major delays at terminals and the cost of gas are going to make an impact this summer, for sure.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16435 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:42 AM

Well, a decade a go, there were a number of low-cost housing options, flops, and squats throughout Victoria where most of the street folk could disappear too.  Not to mention the extensive camping grounds across/under the bridges.

But then development came in and took those away, so the street people problems that we were able to ignore before were pushed out on to the sidewalks.

And yes, Pandora has been this bad before (in the early 2000s), and you'd probably have to go back to before the court rulings on panhandling and the like to find a time when they weren't aggressive or in your face.

• Matt R., Brantastic and VIResident like this

#16436 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,990 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:43 AM

oh well they can likely find another site. those 150 jobs are not lost. they might just appear elsewhere.

#16437 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:47 AM

Citing risks to its future residents and employees from a neighbouring supportive-housing complex, Berwick Retirement Communities has cancelled a $52-million seniors-residence project in Parksville.  The project meant 150 jobs, tax revenue and development cost charges of more than $2.5 million

The initial reaction is some level of Told-Ya-So outrage, but then you look at that render and get really mixed feelings...

#16438 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:08 AM

The initial reaction is some level of Told-Ya-So outrage, but then you look at that render and get really mixed feelings...

The render in that article isn't for the senior residence; its for the Orca supportive-housing complex.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#16439 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:41 AM

The render in that article isn't for the senior residence; its for the Orca supportive-housing complex.

Well now I feel bad for the supportive housing clients.

#16440 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:45 AM

I was sympathetic to the developer and its concern for the residents until I read the part about them being less concerned if the City was willing to compensate them financially.   

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users