Photo

Victoria homelessness issues

• Please log in to reply
16613 replies to this topic

#16461 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

Victoria has had problems in the past; The motel on Hillside/Douglas behind the 7-11, the rampant prostitution downtown with prostitutes as as young as 14 working the streets, the Douggie Hotel alcoholics, the drug drop offs to users just off Store Street near Discovery, the dealings on Pandora/Douglas and Broad between Johnson and Yates, the Whale Wall mural park that was filled with drunks, drug users and street people, the drug/sex acts/bathroom use behind the businesses off Millie's Lane, and the flashers and street people in Beacon Hill Park at night (even a bunch of pre-teen/teen kids doing stunt driving in a stolen SUV in the snow near the top of the hill at one point), etc.

Problems have existed then, now and always will but as I said previously, I find it's the numbers and the aggression. Your experiences will differ from mine but through the experience I've had, even as one of the kids who hung out downtown in the 80's, I don't ever recall seeing it this bad.

i think much of the problems in the past were more hidden then they are today.. they were behind closed doors or more in alley ways, much more quiet and out of sight, still there but your average person walking through the downtown core wouldn't see it unless they looked for it..  now we have made it acceptable for this type of behavior to happen out in the open on the sidewalks and streets for everyone to see... and then we tell the world that it's not their fault they have a mental illness

• pennymurphy2000 and FawltyVic like this

#16462 Arnold

Arnold
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:16 PM

now we have made it acceptable for this type of behavior to happen out in the open on the sidewalks and streets for everyone to see... and then we tell the world that it's not their fault they have a mental illness

I know this will garner some less than flattering fan mail but that’s what they WANT you to see.

They (the social justice ne’er do wells) want you to be made to feel uncomfortable about seeing the unfortunate mess that these poor human beings are going through. They also want to know why you are not disgusted enough to do more than you already have to eliminate the hardship. The government can’t do everything to help these people you know. Or can they?
  • newbie_01 likes this

#16463 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

The government can’t do everything to help these people you know. Or can they?

Narrator: They can't. won't?

#16464 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 59 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:23 PM

i think much of the problems in the past were more hidden then they are today.

Yup, hidden in the stairwells and basements of public buildings, down alleyways, in wooded areas like Beacon Hill Park, and even under the Johnson and Bay Street bridges. Local band The Wardells even had a song about the goings on under the Johnson Street Bridge on their album "Back to the Drawing Board".

• rmpeers likes this

#16465 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:53 PM

Not enough Wardells references on this forum. Thank you. :)
  • FawltyVic likes this

#16466 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,620 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:38 AM

There's pressure on City Hall to clean up that stretch now that hundreds of residential units will be situated along or overlooking that block.

I think that there is pressure to clean up that stretch now that developers are finding the market softening and they are having trouble selling less desirable locations.

I drove by yesterday and it is starting to look more and more like East Hastings with people hanging out in the street as well as camping on the sidewalks.  Must have been 100 people in that two block stretch.

Edited by spanky123, 14 June 2019 - 06:40 AM.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and FawltyVic like this

#16467 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:42 AM

The City of Victoria is proposing 25-units of additional supportive rental housing and a 22-bed substance use treatment facility within the 2915 Douglas Street complex. The use will also require adding 20 parking spaces to exclusive use of the residential complex (the parking lot has also doubled as a park-and-ride facility and is used by patrons of Spoons Diner).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16468 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:58 AM

The use will also require adding 20 parking spaces to exclusive use of the residential complex

Why?

#16469 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:59 AM

just a staff parking requirement probably. staff to patient ratio sounds like it would be high. high just like the crime rate in that area.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 July 2019 - 07:00 AM.

#16470 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:14 AM

Shouldn't staff here be encouraged to take public transit or active transportation like the rest of us?

#16471 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:29 AM

I think just like any building you have off street parking requirements. they could apply for a variance if they have a case.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 July 2019 - 07:30 AM.

#16472 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:59 AM

...they could apply for a variance if they have a case.

As they should. I find it hard to believe that people living in supportive housing and getting addiction treatment really have the same parking requirements as your average CoV apartment or condo dweller.

#16473 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:03 AM

I think its staff and visitors. so like at a hospital or care home.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 July 2019 - 08:04 AM.

#16474 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,474 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:05 AM

^ It's based on the City's parking requirement of 1 space per 80 sq.m, for a total of 48 parking spaces. Spoons required 11 spaces.

This is not a rezoning or a development permit, it's a Temporary Use Permit, so requesting a variance would involve a separate application. Besides, the parking lot is already there and has 108 spaces, so there's no point in applying for a variance.

Edited by Jackerbie, 08 July 2019 - 08:06 AM.

#16475 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:14 AM

While I appreciate that no actual new parking spaces will be created, it's bizarre that regulations require dedicated parking spaces for this type of use.

#16476 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

It's been fairly well explained why those parking spaces are required/mandated for that type of usage.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16477 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:01 AM

Perhaps to you, but not to me.

#16478 RFS

RFS
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:05 AM

For police? For ambulance? For Hazardous Material removal companies? For Lisa Help's MODO when dropping off awards?

• sebberry, pennymurphy2000, Cassidy and 1 other like this

#16479 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:17 AM

early candidate for post of the week.

#16480 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:12 PM

For police? For ambulance? For Hazardous Material removal companies? For Lisa Help's MODO when dropping off awards?

Don't forget the Coroner.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users

rmpeers, A Girl is No one