Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#16461 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:58 AM

The use will also require adding 20 parking spaces to exclusive use of the residential complex

Why?

#16462 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:59 AM

just a staff parking requirement probably. staff to patient ratio sounds like it would be high. high just like the crime rate in that area.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 July 2019 - 07:00 AM.

#16463 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:14 AM

Shouldn't staff here be encouraged to take public transit or active transportation like the rest of us?

#16464 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:29 AM

I think just like any building you have off street parking requirements. they could apply for a variance if they have a case.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 July 2019 - 07:30 AM.

#16465 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:59 AM

...they could apply for a variance if they have a case.

As they should. I find it hard to believe that people living in supportive housing and getting addiction treatment really have the same parking requirements as your average CoV apartment or condo dweller.

#16466 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:03 AM

I think its staff and visitors. so like at a hospital or care home.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 July 2019 - 08:04 AM.

#16467 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:05 AM

^ It's based on the City's parking requirement of 1 space per 80 sq.m, for a total of 48 parking spaces. Spoons required 11 spaces.

This is not a rezoning or a development permit, it's a Temporary Use Permit, so requesting a variance would involve a separate application. Besides, the parking lot is already there and has 108 spaces, so there's no point in applying for a variance.

Edited by Jackerbie, 08 July 2019 - 08:06 AM.

#16468 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:14 AM

While I appreciate that no actual new parking spaces will be created, it's bizarre that regulations require dedicated parking spaces for this type of use.

#16469 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

It's been fairly well explained why those parking spaces are required/mandated for that type of usage.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16470 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:01 AM

Perhaps to you, but not to me.

#16471 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:05 AM

For police? For ambulance? For Hazardous Material removal companies? For Lisa Help's MODO when dropping off awards?

• sebberry, pennymurphy2000, Cassidy and 1 other like this

#16472 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:17 AM

early candidate for post of the week.

#16473 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:12 PM

For police? For ambulance? For Hazardous Material removal companies? For Lisa Help's MODO when dropping off awards?

Don't forget the Coroner.

• Nparker likes this

#16474 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:53 PM

Don't forget the Coroner.

And dealers....

#16475 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:19 PM

I was watching a documentary on LA’s intense homelessness issues in and around its 50-block skid row district. Apparently when the city setup a bunch of portapotties the criminal element took control and started charging people to use them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16476 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:20 PM

I was watching a documentary on LA’s intense homelessness issues in and around its 50-block skid row district. Apparently when the city setup a bunch of portapotties the criminal element took control and started charging people to use them.

LA's and Seattle and Portland and SFO and Victoria and Vancouver do not have a homeless issue. We have a workless issue. When you normalize drug use, when you normalize street camping, when you aid and assist them with their drugs, when you give them money for nothing, when you don't arrest and prosecute them for open criminality, it's society that has a problem. We have to change that before we can tackle housing for those who truly are the working poor, I will go to bat for them, for the bums on the streets - forget about it.

• Wayne, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#16477 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:28 PM

The solution, according to a social worker being interviewed for the piece, were house keys. He said house keys would solve everything.

Know it all.

#16478 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:06 PM

If house keys solved everything Victoria wouldn't be in the state it is in now. Every year our homeless numbers go up despite the government spending millions of dollars on new housing. 

• Midnightly likes this

#16479 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:09 PM

The simple truth about homelessness is that it's perpetrated by human beings incredible ability to adapt to any situation.

In a past life, I was required to move up North to work. I lived in an 12 X 12 foot skid-shack for 5 months. It had a toilet in one room, and a bed in the other room. 

I nearly puked when it was first shown to me as my abode for the next almost half a year ... but by the end of the term, I was in love with the place and realized I could not only live in a 12 X 12 skid-shack, I could easily live in an 8 X 8 skid shack.

In LA (for example) you pitch your tent on the sidewalk, it's usually pretty warm, there are tons of folks around in a similar situation as your own, and there's absolutely zero stigma attached to your being broke and living in a tent on the sidewalk.

Six months later, you don't need anything else ... this is your lifestyle, and you're fine with it.

The drugs and/or mental illness are all still a major part of your problems ... but the point is that you're now completely comfortable with your living situation, your place of residence, and your future ... You're human, and you've done what humans have done for multiple milennia ... you've adapted!

My point would be that I (and you as well) could live in a tent on a city sidewalk if we had to. We wouldn't die (at least right away) and once we got over the initial hurdle of how far we had fallen in life ... we'd be making out just fine relative to those around us, and to our situation in general.

All of the above is why the COV's endless pandering to homeless folks, and their offer of what is essentially a free downtown condo is an incredibly bad idea.  Because these folks who have taken advantage of the COV's bad management will never go anywhere else. Human nature has guaranteed that they now have zero incentive to leave their "room" or move to a proper domicile, they have no incentive to raise themselves up in life ... not because they're mentally ill or addicted to drugs, but rather because they've completely adapted, and they're literally now perfectly fine with their lot in life, with their living situation, and with their future ... they will be perfectly "content" to remain in their present situation until their dying day.

"Human Adaptability" ... the two words that Helps and her minions have constantly overlooked, and the words that will ultimately come back to bite not only all of our current Councillors (even if only in their memory), but the entire COV and its residents as a whole ... and bite it will, no doubt in a wide variety of ways.

• Mike K., LJ, spanky123 and 6 others like this

#16480 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:33 AM

^ The impact goes further. To provide the free housing for the homeless, hundreds of units of affordable, low end housing have been removed from the rental pool. Those people who would have been tenants are now forced to take on a second job or work longer hours in order to pay for the next level of accommodations and the additional taxes required to cover the homeless costs. After a period of time, many of those people start to ask themselves why. They can quit their jobs and get everything for free, or they can continue to work harder and longer hours just to stay where they are. As a society we start to reward those who don't contribute and penalize those who do. As the saying goes, what gets rewarded gets done.

Edited by spanky123, 09 July 2019 - 06:34 AM.

• LJ, Sparky, Wayne and 4 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users