Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25933 replies to this topic

#16481 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:01 AM

In a past life, I was required to move up North to work. I lived in an 12 X 12 foot skid-shack for 5 months.

12 x 12? So a luxury apartment, you mean?

• Cassidy likes this

#16482 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:56 PM

It seems to me that every time I visit, I’m challenged to navigate through a downtown that appears to be waging war against itself. Whether it’s a demonstration by the Proud Boys or a counter-demonstration by Antifa, an unruly Pride Festival that closed off access to the train station (we nearly missed our ride home) or a frightening late night walk through Old Town (think John Carpenter’s “Escape from New York”), one gets the sense that the city essentially handed the keys to the kingdom over to the people and has given them free rein to do as they wish whenever or wherever they please.

Portland has a homeless and substance-abuse crisis — I get it. Seattle has the same thing, as does just about every major metropolitan area in our country. But that’s no excuse for turning a blind eye to the damage being done.

https://www.seattlet..._buffer_opinion

• A Girl is No one likes this

#16483 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:43 AM

Double whammy to local taxpayer - no supportive housing AND the cost to renovate this for Saanich staff.    

Some Saanich staff to move to former Emily Carr library site

"......In June last year, former Saanich mayor Richard Atwell proposed turning the space into a supportive housing facility as a solution to the tent city that developed in nearby Regina Park. Council voted against Atwell’s motion."

https://www.timescol...site-1.23884516

Edited by VIResident, 16 July 2019 - 05:43 AM.

#16484 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:07 AM

https://www.vicnews....reach-services/

A former Victoria resident is praising the City’s outreach services for helping him come through homelessness.

Jay had seen this cycle for years, experiencing homelessness across Canada including in Montreal, Toronto, Regina, Edmonton, Calgary, Kelowna and Vancouver.

#16485 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:29 AM

A former Victoria resident is praising the City’s outreach services for helping him come through homelessness.

While heartwarming, the reality of "Jay's" case is that he could have done what he did anywhere in Canada, and anytime ... that he wanted to.

It's got nothing to do with Victoria, and everything to do with a guy who finally made a decision to live his life rather than to slowly die.

A movement that would preach to alcoholics and homeless folks to "come to Victoria to get your life back on track" is not only utterly disingenuous, but it's completely false advertising.

If "Jay" had come to Victoria with the same mindset that he had for most of his adult life, it would have resulted only in more misery for him ... it was his decision to turn his life around that's the positive take-away in this story ... it has nothing to do with coming to Victoria.

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#16486 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:11 PM

Pioneer park has really turned into a zoo over the past few weeks, and Mt Edwards had several police cars there on Saturday when I rode by and I saw several people stoned out of their minds lying on the “grass” in front of the building over the last few weeks. I don’t think this place is heading in the right direction.

#16487 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:02 AM

Pioneer park has really turned into a zoo over the past few weeks, and Mt Edwards had several police cars there on Saturday when I rode by and I saw several people stoned out of their minds lying on the “grass” in front of the building over the last few weeks. I don’t think this place is heading in the right direction.

When the police are more interested in ticketing someone for throwing a butt out the window and speeding rather than for DRIVING WHILE SMOKING A JOINT then I am not surprised that lying on the grass while stoned isn't an issue for anyone.

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#16488 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:16 AM

When the police are more interested in ticketing someone for throwing a butt out the window and speeding rather than for DRIVING WHILE SMOKING A JOINT then I am not surprised that lying on the grass while stoned isn't an issue for anyone.

When the police have been directed to be ticketing someone for throwing a butt out of the window and speeding rather than for DRIVING WHILE SMOKING A JOINT.....

Fixed it!

#16489 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:00 PM

So if I drink and drive and throw an empty bottle of scotch out the window....but don't seem drunk, can it be ignored now?

• Nparker likes this

#16490 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:13 PM

yes.

#16491 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:17 AM

Geoff Young is the new liaison for the neighbourhood so make sure you send him an email. Same for CTJ who said that the neighbourhood and school should hold their feet to the fire. They voted for this project so keep them updated on how it is affecting the area!

Edited by pennymurphy2000, 31 July 2019 - 09:18 AM.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#16492 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:41 AM

So if I drink and drive and throw an empty bottle of scotch out the window....but don't seem drunk, can it be ignored now?

Well, if you don't seem drunk and/or can pass a sobriety test and/or can past a blood alcohol test, then... yes?  The tolerance for alcohol is pretty low, but it's not actually zero (license restrictions notwithstanding).

Hasn't it always been at the officer's discretion? 

#16493 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:38 PM

Another day another junkie in the grass by Mt Edwards. Definitely becoming a thing.

#16494 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:47 PM

"Junkie In The Grass" should be the name of a collection by Victoria's poet laureate.

"I think that I shall never see.

A poem as lovely as a junkie.

Bring it on."

#16495 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:44 PM

Another day another junkie in the grass by Mt Edwards. Definitely becoming a thing.

Please take a picture and send it to the Mayor and council. That is totally unacceptable mere feet from a school that is currently running a summer camp for children. 

• Love the rock likes this

#16496 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:12 AM

aren’t homeless wake ups part of the police cutbacks?

#16497 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

Each time has been in the middle of the day and not carrying any personal belongings (eg shopping carts etc) with them so likely housed (or stuff in storage at OP).

#16498 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:44 PM

The new documentary Pursuit is a must watch on Netflix.

The best line in my opinion is “ Welfare is a narcotic, it slowly destroys the human spirit”.

https://www.thepursuitmovie.com/

#16499 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

The best line in my opinion is “ Welfare is a narcotic, it slowly destroys the human spirit”.

https://www.thepursuitmovie.com/

Our household (8) were very intrigued - afterwards a bit of double-checking online and even a 'book' was used and overall the doc. was found to be relatively factual (bias was identified right at the get-go which was appreciated)

• Sparky likes this

#16500 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for this Sparky. "Welfare ..."  is a famous FDR statement made back in the day when begging and welfare were considered the last line of protection in society. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users