• 10,644 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:29 PM

^^^ you “liked” your own post?
  • Matt R. likes this

#16682 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,616 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:36 PM

That's one hell of a story. Normally I don't condone violence or vigilantism but this not only sounds like self-defense but a case where a capable person is setting clear boundaries for civilized behaviour to someone with anger issues. 

I'm downtown every day and am familiar with a lot of the characters but even the local homeless are wary of violent newcomers.

As for Don Evans, that is also one hell of a story from the TC. It clearly states Evans set 2019 as a probable retirement date so I take it back and say this is no surprise.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#16683 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,123 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:06 PM

^ Well you can understand why lots of folks won't go downtown; I can only imagine how seniors or women would feel in that situation.

Normally you'd counsel them to simply walk away but guys like this don't have an Off switch: if its me as in this case, well I'm 280 pounds so I'll just smoke the dufus but what is a senior or woman supposed to do if being actively pursued and/or manhandled or assaulted? About all they could do is yell for help and pray someone is around to come to their aid. 

Lisa and the Ben & Jeremy Show et al., should venture forth IMO out of the ivory tower on Douglas Street, get into the trenches and have a damn good look around at the state of the core cuz it ain't pretty. And bear in mind this is in the middle of the day in the middle of the business week. One can only imagine the shenanigans going on after midnight on a weekend....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 11 December 2019 - 10:22 PM.

• Nparker, LJ, GaryRanson and 4 others like this

#16684 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,746 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:16 AM

^^ & ^^^ Rob and Spanky while your points are very valid, everybody is as unique as their fingerprint.

There may be completely valid reasons why Don left as he did. I am only suggesting that it is highly unusual and unless one of those reasons existed, I would expected that a CEO in a role for 7 years and earning a $200K plus salary has a responsibility to his or her board and team to provide proper notice and see through succession. Maybe that did happen but the various articles don't read that way.

#16685 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,616 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:15 AM

^Except that 2016 article said at the time he was committed to staying for three more years. That took us to January 2019. He initially promised only one year. 

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#16686 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,040 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:16 AM

I realize this is about Oppenheimer Park in Vancouver, but if anyone thinks the very same thing wasn't happening in Victoria's tent city during its nasty prime, then they need to give their heads a shake.

Vancouver Police is investigating a shooting that sent one man to hospital at a homeless camp on the city's Downtown Eastside...police were called to Oppenheimer Park around 5:30 p.m. on Thursday and found the victim suffering from a gunshot wound...The Vancouver Police Department is warning of a significant increase in weapons, violence and calls for service at the campsite as gangs compete for territory in the park. Police say they recently thwarted a murder plot by arresting three street gang members who were allegedly planning to kill a rival drug trafficker who operates in the area.

https://www.iheartra...camp-1.10342200

Bring it on indeed.  :whyme:

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#16687 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:07 AM

I realize this is about Oppenheimer Park in Vancouver, but if anyone thinks the very same thing wasn't happening in Victoria's tent city during its nasty prime, then they need to give their heads a shake.
Bring it on indeed. :whyme:

No question that our mayor and council's complete bungling of the tent city here set the stage for problems that will continue for a long time. By (reportedly) instructing police and fire officials to take a hands-off approach, they sent out a clear message that assault, gangs dealing drugs (and helping to get the next generation of customers addicted), stolen bike chop shops, B&E's, sexual assaults, and god knows what else were totally cool in Victoria. "We're open for business! Don't worry about the cops."
  • Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#16688 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,040 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:21 PM

We haven't heard from Chrissy Brett in a while. This aught to get her stirred up.

The mayor of Nanaimo, BC., wants the province to institutionalize severely mentally ill people who are homeless and often addicted to alcohol and illegal substances. Leonard Krog says...the city of under 100,000 people has a homeless population of between 600 and 800 and many who are mentally ill and causing public disorder need treatment in a facility based in the community. He says it's the province's job to treat those who can't function on the streets, some because of brain injury from overdosing on fentanyl.

https://www.iheartra...less-1.10343581

#16689 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:36 PM

We haven't heard from Chrissy Brett in a while. This aught to get her stirred up.

The mayor of Nanaimo, BC., wants the province to institutionalize severely mentally ill people who are homeless and often addicted to alcohol and illegal substances. Leonard Krog says...the city of under 100,000 people has a homeless population of between 600 and 800 and many who are mentally ill and causing public disorder need treatment in a facility based in the community. He says it's the province's job to treat those who can't function on the streets, some because of brain injury from overdosing on fentanyl.

https://www.iheartra...less-1.10343581

while i do agree with him, i have been saying for years that the mental hospitals need to be re-opened to help people struggling with mental health and addiction issues.. i do think this shouldn't be looked at as just a "homeless issue"  this should be an all citizens issue, those who are suffering from severe mental illness who are a danger to themselves or others around them should be considered... they should have out patient programs for people too, mental health is such a big issue now a days that it really should have more focus on it

Edited by Midnightly, 13 December 2019 - 05:39 PM.

• pennymurphy2000, rmpeers and Teardrop like this

#16690 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,040 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:07 PM

Much of our current homeless/addiction problem is a direct result of closing all the residential mental health facilities. The chickens came home to roost in the worst way possible.

• sebberry, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#16691 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 318 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:43 AM

She is over in Vancouver "saving" the folks at Oppenheimer Park.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#16692 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 1,365 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:30 AM

Much of our current homeless/addiction problem is a direct result of closing all the residential mental health facilities. The chickens came home to roost in the worst way possible.

Clear that being on the street, vulnerable to drug dealers especially, is not a good thing.
  • Teardrop likes this

#16693 mbjj

mbjj
  • 1,183 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:27 AM

Chrissie was on the news just last night, lol. Moments before she appeared I said to my husband, oh wait for it, she'll show up!

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users