Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25854 replies to this topic

#16681 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:21 PM

We haven't heard from Chrissy Brett in a while. This aught to get her stirred up.

The mayor of Nanaimo, BC., wants the province to institutionalize severely mentally ill people who are homeless and often addicted to alcohol and illegal substances. Leonard Krog says...the city of under 100,000 people has a homeless population of between 600 and 800 and many who are mentally ill and causing public disorder need treatment in a facility based in the community. He says it's the province's job to treat those who can't function on the streets, some because of brain injury from overdosing on fentanyl.

https://www.iheartra...less-1.10343581

#16682 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:36 PM

We haven't heard from Chrissy Brett in a while. This aught to get her stirred up.

The mayor of Nanaimo, BC., wants the province to institutionalize severely mentally ill people who are homeless and often addicted to alcohol and illegal substances. Leonard Krog says...the city of under 100,000 people has a homeless population of between 600 and 800 and many who are mentally ill and causing public disorder need treatment in a facility based in the community. He says it's the province's job to treat those who can't function on the streets, some because of brain injury from overdosing on fentanyl.

https://www.iheartra...less-1.10343581

while i do agree with him, i have been saying for years that the mental hospitals need to be re-opened to help people struggling with mental health and addiction issues.. i do think this shouldn't be looked at as just a "homeless issue"  this should be an all citizens issue, those who are suffering from severe mental illness who are a danger to themselves or others around them should be considered... they should have out patient programs for people too, mental health is such a big issue now a days that it really should have more focus on it

Edited by Midnightly, 13 December 2019 - 05:39 PM.

• pennymurphy2000, rmpeers and Teardrop like this

#16683 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:07 PM

Much of our current homeless/addiction problem is a direct result of closing all the residential mental health facilities. The chickens came home to roost in the worst way possible.

• sebberry, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#16684 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:43 AM

She is over in Vancouver "saving" the folks at Oppenheimer Park.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#16685 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:30 AM

Much of our current homeless/addiction problem is a direct result of closing all the residential mental health facilities. The chickens came home to roost in the worst way possible.

Clear that being on the street, vulnerable to drug dealers especially, is not a good thing.
  • Teardrop likes this

#16686 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:27 AM

Chrissie was on the news just last night, lol. Moments before she appeared I said to my husband, oh wait for it, she'll show up!

#16687 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:11 AM

If you haven’t seen the strip show at Seattle’s homelessness conference run a google search.

Yes, you read that right. A stripper was hired to put on a show during a homelessness conference organized by Seattle and the county. Tax dollars at work.

Statement from King County: “The department is aware of an event that occurred during the All Home annual conference on December 9, 2019. We have placed the director of All Home on administrative leave pending the results of an investigation into the event and the leadership of All Home.”
  • martini likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16688 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 02:23 PM

If you haven’t seen the strip show at Seattle’s homelessness conference run a google search.

Yes, you read that right. A stripper was hired to put on a show during a homelessness conference organized by Seattle and the county. Tax dollars at work.

Statement from King County: “The department is aware of an event that occurred during the All Home annual conference on December 9, 2019. We have placed the director of All Home on administrative leave pending the results of an investigation into the event and the leadership of All Home.”

was the stripper homeless? then they could argue they were giving a homeless person a job....

#16689 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 16 December 2019 - 07:56 PM

was the stripper homeless? then they could argue they were giving a homeless person a job....

Now that's there's no strip clubs left in Victoria we need a Safe Stripping Site.

#16690 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:39 AM

We live in an era where society at large seems to value profit over people, and thus it’s up to us, those not-for-profits, individuals and corporate supporters who have placed the burden of community responsibility on their own shoulders, to provide for the weak, the poor, the abused and the suffering.

https://www.timescol...lace-1.24037473

the first part of the sentence is garbage. and as for the rest your non-profit gets 95% or more of your funding from taxpayers. it’s hardly a benevolent charity.
  • Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#16691 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:04 PM

^that's a bit of an odd statement. Isn't what he's saying contradictory?

From Cool Aid this morning:

In past years, Cool Aid has enjoyed the support of Homeless Partners, an all-volunteer organization that provided personalized Christmas gifts for people spending the holidays at a shelter. This year, the organizers have retired and Cool Aid is hoping to continue the tradition, but the community’s help is needed to make it happen.  Cool Aid has recently launched Spirit of Giving - a simple to use, online shopping cart where your donation will buy gift cards that will be given directly to people staying at a Cool Aid shelter on Christmas Day. We need 204 gift card purchases by this Friday, December 20, to ensure gifts are given to every shelter guest on Christmas day.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16692 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

^that's a bit of an odd statement. Isn't what he's saying contradictory?

From Cool Aid this morning:

what does this mean?

We live in an era where society at large seems to value profit over people

if we polled 1000 random victorians would they "value profit over people"?

and thus it’s up to us, those not-for-profits, individuals and corporate supporters who have placed the burden of community responsibility on their own shoulders, to provide for the weak, the poor, the abused and the suffering.

again no it did not fall to you it fell to the taxpayers again.  you just happen to be the non-profit that takes the government money and spends it on homelessness services.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 December 2019 - 04:22 PM.

• Teardrop likes this

#16693 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:16 PM

I suspect the funds flowing into these agencies are higher today than they have ever been. They’re bringing in record volumes of donations but somehow MacKenzie has deduced society values profit over people.

It doesn’t make any sense.
  • Teardrop likes this

Know it all.

#16694 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 07:47 PM

You give them housing and feed them year round so I guess they think they are your children and you should give them presents as well. Sheesh.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#16695 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:48 AM

they already get a welfare christmas bonus. why do we keep piling on the largesse?

#16696 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:40 AM

Gift cards.  Money in kind.  And those gift cards, are we to believe that they will be retained, that they will be used to by a gift, or is it more rational to believe that they will be sold (likely online) at .50 on the dollar and that the cash will be used otherwise?  What about having a donation drive, and a secret santa, whereby the homeless can shop for presents for another of their community from the donated gifts?  My child's school does a similar event called an "emporium" used as a PAC fundraiser where kids can go shop for items (priced between $1 and $5) for family members, the remaining funds go to the PAC.  Why wouldn't something similar work?

• Nparker, LJ and pennymurphy2000 like this

#16697 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

I suspect the funds flowing into these agencies are higher today than they have ever been. They’re bringing in record volumes of donations but somehow MacKenzie has deduced society values profit over people.

It doesn’t make any sense.

From what I am hearing, fundraising is down across the board. Admittedly that could just be the charities trying to motivate donors.

#16698 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 09:12 AM

From what I am hearing, fundraising is down across the board...

And that certainly could be true. I know I have cut back. As citizens have we ever been taxed as much as we are today by the collective levels of government? It's a wonder anyone has anything leftover to donate to charitable causes.

• Love the rock likes this

#16699 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 09:44 AM

From what I am hearing, fundraising is down across the board. Admittedly that could just be the charities trying to motivate donors.

For certain agencies I wouldn’t doubt it.

Santa’s Anonymous raised over $530,000 in a single day. Toy Mountain received so many gifts they had to clear out their unit at Uptown Twice.

Now consider the various GoFundMe campaigns we’ve had over the year, the United Way, Salvation Army, the huge sums of money raised by various galas and events where people individually throw down $1,000-$10,000 like nobody’s business.

We’re giving more than we’ve ever given, but priorities may have indeed changed.
  • Love the rock and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.

#16700 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 09:51 AM

For certain agencies I wouldn’t doubt it.

Santa’s Anonymous raised over $530,000 in a single day. Toy Mountain received so many gifts they had to clear out their unit at Uptown Twice.

Now consider the various GoFundMe campaigns we’ve had over the year, the United Way, Salvation Army, the huge sums of money raised by various galas and events where people individually throw down $1,000-$10,000 like nobody’s business.

We’re giving more than we’ve ever given, but priorities may have indeed changed.

CFAX SA raised $585K last year. Having said that though, according to the CRA website, CFAX SA is so successful that they don't come close to spending what they take in ($300K surplus last year alone).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mike P.