Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25855 replies to this topic

#17081 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:56 AM

Vancouver and Kelowna did not mobilize to pursue plans for additional tent cities, though. Only Victoria did.

Helps announced Beacon Hill, Topaz and Royal Athletic parks would be the locations of additional tent cities, in addition to the Pandora Avenue situation. 

no no no no.  don't let helps off that easy.  she said topaz beacon hill and rap would be the cure to the pandora problem.  of course that was never going to happen but that's what she said.

• Nparker likes this

#17082 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 10:28 AM

She built the Pandora situation...
  • Nparker likes this

#17083 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 10:36 AM

Vancouver and Kelowna did not mobilize to pursue plans for additional tent cities, though. Only Victoria did.

Helps announced Beacon Hill, Topaz and Royal Athletic parks would be the locations of additional tent cities, in addition to the Pandora Avenue situation. Then the province said back off on Beacon Hill Park, and more recently VIHA has said it had no part in selecting Topaz and RAP. This has lead to a lot of confusion and questions.

Good for VIHA for setting the record straight. Helps has been quick to blame them and BC Housing for not having RAP setup.

• Nparker, grantpalin, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#17084 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 11:52 AM

Not to harp on VicNews here, but Victoria's mayor welcomed individuals to this community. You can't struggle with something you helped bring about. The mayor made an infamous "bring it on" request when other communities on the Island did not step up to provide services similar to those available in downtown Victoria.

Can anyone show me a link to this quote of hers? I’ve read about it on here many times, but can’t actually find where she said it.

Matt.

#17085 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:26 PM

it was an audio clip.

#17086 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:26 PM

Can anyone show me a link to this quote of hers? I’ve read about it on here many times, but can’t actually find where she said it.

Matt.

If I recall correctly it was to do with the Tally Ho being turned into homeless housing. The province or housing organization announced it and helps replied “bring it on!”

#17087 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:38 PM

So, anyone have a link?

Matt.

#17088 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:44 PM

So, anyone have a link?

Matt.

You’re never going to find a link. It was so hilariously outrageous it became a VV meme but naturally Victoria media never called her out for it. It was never a story out side of VV
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#17089 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:22 PM

It would have been in either a filmed news piece or a radio snippet. It’s unlikely to have been in print.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17090 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:06 PM

Or indexed anywhere on Google.

Matt.

#17091 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:46 PM

Matt.

The first instance of it coming up in relation to the homelessness issue was this post in relation to the former Super 8 on Douglas being converted into a shelter/low-income housing. No link, no news story, no video. Just an anecdotal quote.

Lisa Helps says "bring it on" often, you can find many instances of her saying it. That attitude that she has eventually turned into a bit of a meme around here and elsewhere.

But like a lot of stuff involving politics on VV, there's a lot of misinformation that gets thrown around. Whether or not she actually said "bring it on" in the context that many on here claim is debatable. Unless someone can actually provide a reliable source, it's a pretty safe bet that she never said "bring it on" in that context. What we do know, however, it that she says it a lot, and often attaches it to political issues and challenges.

Given her long-time support for the homeless in Victoria (the courthouse tent city award being the most egregious), the natural reaction here was for her saying to be applied to the homelessness situation in Victoria.

• Matt R. likes this

#17092 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:25 PM

She does not say it a lot, but she’s said it a few times.

A lot of the mayor’s more infamous quotes were from interviews in front of cameras. The media also scrub old articles, which is why it’s hard to find links to content from years gone by.
  • Midnightly likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17093 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:31 PM

I have a vague memory of it being an old tweet. Like she quoted a tweet about the shelter and she added “bring it on”

#17094 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:39 PM

Could be. But it didn’t just materialize out of thin air, like it’s easy to assume given the short memory of the internet in this instance (and many others when it comes to local press articles and their disappearance acts).

Know it all.

#17095 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:43 PM

I have a vague memory of her saying "bring it on" at some sort of Tent City award ceremony. The context was the Province had contributed some housing money so when asked if she was concerned it would attract more homeless she made that remark, meaning more people which begets more funding which begets more housing. But documentation of that alleged comment remains elusive.

Edited by Rob Randall, 07 April 2020 - 09:45 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#17096 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:55 PM

Lol, lots of vague memories around here. Weird that I can’t find a single instance of something she apparently says a lot.

Matt.
  • shoeflack likes this

#17097 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 10:13 PM

Could be a textbook example of the Mandela effect.

• Mike K., Redd42 and shoeflack like this

#17098 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:43 AM

Lol, lots of vague memories around here. Weird that I can’t find a single instance of something she apparently says a lot.

Matt.

Where Lisa gets into trouble is when she doesn’t have a scripted answer in front of her .

She has said equally ridiculous things but is there a written statement ,probably not .

I can’t find written statements on her saying criminals aren’t bad people just misunderstood.

She definitely said it . When the homeless man  with behaviour issues got off the  bus from a Saskatchewan shelter she said it was our duty to look after him because B.C. was prosperous. When she said seniors should take homeless into their homes if they have an extra room ,news too . When asked if she would .Lisa couldn’t because she had sensitive documents lying around, said that too . 

On and on 

Now if she comes on the news I tune her out if possible. 

It  all reminds me of the song called “the snake .”

#17099 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:46 AM

She does not say it a lot, but she’s said it a few times.

A lot of the mayor’s more infamous quotes were from interviews in front of cameras. The media also scrub old articles, which is why it’s hard to find links to content from years gone by.

i've found this also with the scrubbing of old articles.. there have been a few i've went back and tried to search for and they were gone, i wouldn't be surprised if anything that makes Helps, the council, the city in a negative light get scrubbed.. one specifically i remember looking up the piggy award that the bridge had won, many articles printed online about it... i couldn't find a single one

#17100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:49 AM

it might have been on her Facebook account. Which is now gone.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users