• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#17941 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,525 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:52 PM

🚔Eight Arrested In Decampment Efforts On Pandora Avenue🚔

Victoria, BC – Eight people were arrested as officers supported decampment efforts in the 1000 and 900-blocks of Pandora Avenue this afternoon.

On April 25th, Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General, Mike Farnworth, issued an Order which required the evacuation of camping sites at Topaz Park and the Pandora Avenue Corridor, with a deadline of May 9th. This deadline was later extended to May 20th. On May 20th, Minister Farnworth issued an enforcement order, which authorized police to enforce the evacuation Order.

Decampment is part of a province-wide response to the COVID-19 pandemic which has claimed 155 lives in B.C. and sickened thousands across Canada. The Province of B.C. and City of Victoria have provided housing in the way of motel and hotel rooms in the region as well as modular accommodations in the Save on Foods Memorial Centre Arena. More than 300 people have been housed with improved access access to hygiene facilities, healthcare and social supports.

VicPD officers, City of Victoria Bylaw officers, BC Housing staff, and social services agency staff provided every possible opportunity for those encamped in this area to depart without enforcement action.

Those arrested were transported to Victoria Police Department Headquarters. Their property will be held in safekeeping and returned under the direction of Victoria Bylaw. All persons who were arrested today will be provided with information on how to utilize additional resources and instruction on how to obtain their property from City of Victoria Bylaw Officers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17942 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:00 PM

Large police presence at the Southgate entrance to Beacon Hill Park. 5 or 6 police vehicles were there around 4 pm. 

Not sure what was going on but when we drove by an hour later the police were still there but only 2 police vehicles remained.

#17943 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:25 PM

Curious to know where Issit was during this and if he was protesting.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#17944 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,977 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:21 AM

Dennis Jenson went to Pandora Avenue to help his friend pack up and give her a ride to her hotel room. The woman declined an interview.

Jenson packed his car full of his friend’s possessions, but much of it couldn’t fit in the vehicle. Jenson said the items would be impounded by bylaw officers and his friend would have 30 days to retrieve her things.

“I was going to come back for it, just keep making trips, but they want it off the street right now,” he said.

Jenson said police officers were acting aggressively and impatiently while people packed up and threatened to make arrests if people crossed police tape, which had been put up to section off portions of the block.

“Just push, push, push and not allowing us to have time to actually do what we need to do to collect our stuff up,” he said.

Jenson praised one bylaw officer’s patience while his friend and others gathered their things from the area, saying she had been helpful during the past several days as the street was emptied.

Jenson is living in his car and has his name on the waiting list for a hotel room but doesn’t know when he might get indoors.

“The amount of people that are on the list is insane,” he said. “I’m just waiting for a phone call.”

Jenson was also helping another friend move his belongings to Beacon Hill Park, where people will be allowed to camp for at least another month without having to pack up every morning.

Victoria bylaw officers are not enforcing overnight sheltering rules at Beacon Hill until June 25 at the earliest to ensure people have a place to isolate during the pandemic.

The man had been camping on Pandora Avenue and Jenson said he had nowhere else to go but the park.

“That’s where they pushed everybody, is Beacon Hill Park. That’s where they said everybody can camp. For how long, who knows?” Jenson said.

https://www.timescol...vard-1.24140477

the article should really read 8 mentally challenged people arrested.

#17945 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:23 AM

Mayor said from the start that there was going to be a tent city in Beacon Hill park. When she wants a tent city somewhere, she knows how to get it.
But I notice they are never in Fernwood where she lives.
  • Nparker, Taj and rmpeers like this

#17946 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:56 AM

Large police presence at the Southgate entrance to Beacon Hill Park. 5 or 6 police vehicles were there around 4 pm. 

Not sure what was going on but when we drove by an hour later the police were still there but only 2 police vehicles remained.

There is quite the large set-up there and it's where the lady was looking for her daughter the other day. Maybe something to do with finding the daughter?

Well goodbye Beacon Hill Park. There were already quite a few tents there, now what?

Edited by mbjj, 25 May 2020 - 06:58 AM.

#17947 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,525 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:59 AM

I noticed a large encampment at the southwest corner overlooking the Cook and Dallas crosswalk. Much of it is hidden in the bushes in that area.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17948 Taj

Taj
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:02 AM

Interesting.  I wonder what was going on?  I walked by at about 6:20, and there were still two police cars and the wagon there.  Three cops were standing on the road talking to each other, but I couldn't really make out what they were saying.  They looked like they were getting ready to leave but they sure weren't hurrying.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#17949 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,525 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:09 AM

If it was newsworthy they’ll be issuing a statement. Sometimes there’s a domestic issue and they respond in force knowing how quickly a scenario like that can get out of hand.
  • Taj likes this

Know it all.

#17950 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:20 AM

Here's a report about the Comfort Inn

https://vancouverisl...pkOLkvOP0V3p1Ic

#17951 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:13 AM

Here's a report about the Comfort Inn

https://vancouverisl...pkOLkvOP0V3p1Ic

Fire forces evacuation of Victoria hotel purchased to house homeless

So the hotel was bought to house the homeless? I thought these were all short-term leased/rented.

Edited by exc911ence, 25 May 2020 - 09:14 AM.

#17952 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:25 AM

So the hotel was bought to house the homeless? I thought these were all short-term leased/rented.

Comfort Inn had no existing residential tenants IIRC

Edited by GetLisaSomeHelps, 25 May 2020 - 09:26 AM.

#17953 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:40 PM

Comfort Inn had no existing residential tenants IIRC

You are thinking of the Travellodge. The Comfort Inn was purchased to house the paying tenants of the Travellodge that were kicked out :-)

#17954 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,977 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:27 AM

what a headline.

Homeless shelter at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre creates 40 jobs

The arena can house 45 people in pop-up pods

https://www.vicnews....reates-40-jobs/

of course closing the arena to events cost hundreds of jobs.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 May 2020 - 06:28 AM.

• Nparker, Matt R. and Daveyboy like this

#17955 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,525 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:30 AM

Seven day a week jobs, or four day a week jobs?

Asking for Andrew Weaver and Sonia Furstenau.

• Nparker, Matt R., Daveyboy and 3 others like this

Know it all.

#17956 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:57 AM

40 jobs to manage 45 "residents". I am not sure this is good bang for the taxpayer buck.

• GaryRanson, Taj and Victoria Watcher like this

#17957 Lost password

Lost password
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:01 AM

Sonia Furstenau=Lisa Helps 2.0 ?

• Nparker likes this

#17958 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:11 AM

40 jobs to manage 45 "residents". I am not sure this is good bang for the taxpayer buck.

A maximum of 45. We don’t know yet how popular are the SOFA will be as an option.
  • Nparker likes this

#17959 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:02 AM

A maximum of 45. We don’t know yet how popular are the SOFA will be as an option.

Good point. What does the 'rehab centre' in View Royal have, 3 out of 45 beds filled?

Edited by spanky123, 26 May 2020 - 08:02 AM.

#17960 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:08 AM

Meanwhile, Helps and Loveday are engineering a new tent city at Beacon Hill, which is indisputably an incredibly dumb idea.

I can only assume that this is just another means for them to punish their constituents, for ... what, being born? Who knows, I'm sure a therapist might be able to find the reason. I don't pretend to be able to understand sadism.
  • Nparker, mbjj, Taj and 2 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users