Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#18081 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:02 AM

What amazed me and I haven't seen discussed elsewhere is that the 20 people who had to be moved from the Comfort Inn due to the fie on Tuesday were giving empty rooms at the Comfort Inn?! So there are 20+ empty rooms at the CI yet we need to start buying more buildings?

And the city is pushing to buy more hotels so we can provide housing to all tenters and van sleepers of Beacon Hill park and anywhere else in the city. Isn’t it disingenuous then if we already have empty rooms?

#18082 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:54 AM

It's interesting to see what Victoria used to be like in 1990 as compared to today.  Everything was so clean and full of non-native flowers....

https://www.youtube....h?v=In9YAFgaFL4

#18083 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:06 PM

Never mind 1990, my first conscious memories of Victoria are from the late 1950s/early 1960s. My mum couldn't wait to move here in 1975. She'd be turning in her grave at what it's become. We often came down for a picnic in Beacon Hill park, where we DROVE in with our aged relatives. I used to love climbing on the rocks near the current alpine garden. No way I'd set foot there today.

#18084 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,048 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:13 AM

i'm not sure it should come as a surprise to anyone that this got wrecked.

Walking past the people-less protest she had set up two days earlier with a number of her peers, Agartu Ali noticed something was off. She realized quickly the papers depicting the names and stories of the victims killed or injured in police interactions were removed.

Ali believes the intent was “malicious.”

21751486_web1_200604-VNE-ProtestVandaliz

“The homeless people in that area encouraged us and said kind words and participated in helping us when we put it up, two days prior and it was fine,” she says, adding that it wasn’t until the protest made the news that something happened to the display.

https://www.vicnews....ctoria-display/

not that the public had any say on this thing.  which should also be an issue.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 June 2020 - 02:14 AM.

#18085 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:11 AM

A dozen tents have appeared on the lawn of centennial square.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18086 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:19 AM

Delightful. 

Which hotel is next on the chopping block?

#18087 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:23 AM

...Which Victoria hotel is next on the chopping block?

Since we know it won't be any hotel outside of the CoV.

#18088 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:33 AM

Delightful. 

Which hotel is next on the chopping block?

Feeling lucky...locking in with Capital City Center Hotel

• Rob Randall and Victoria Watcher like this

#18089 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:36 AM

50 cents says it’ll be the Ramada on Gorge!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18090 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:19 PM

50 cents says it’ll be the Ramada on Gorge!

Fiddy Cent is playing at the Ramada?!?

• snub likes this

#18091 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:28 PM

A dozen tents have appeared on the lawn of centennial square.

Half to 3/4 of those tents moved across the Square from the back of the McPherson Theatre where they had been set up for many weeks.

The area at the back of the theatre is now all fenced off, blocking all access.

#18092 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:35 PM

All the while we know there are empty rooms at the Comfort Inn and 75 more coming online soon with Paul's. 

#18093 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:56 PM

What is happening with the old Travelers Inn at Blanchard and Queens?  I know there was a fire in it quite some time ago, but wasn't it purchased for low income housing?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#18094 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:23 PM

What is happening with the old Travelers Inn at Blanchard and Queens?  I know there was a fire in it quite some time ago, but wasn't it purchased for low income housing?

Even the homeless don't want to live in this dump.

#18095 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:38 PM

Sure are a lot more tents in Beacon Hill, kitty corner to the Helm's Inn and across from Southpark School. I was quite surprised as I hadn't been by there for a few days. Also there is now a concrete planter blocking cars from entering Arbutus Way in the park. I guess a very skinny fire truck could get through.

My husband was at the Dollarama by the Comfort Inn yesterday. A guy ran in and grabbed a handful of chocolate bars, then ran out. My husband was talking to the young security guy who said, oh that guy does that four or five times a day!

#18096 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:39 PM

My husband was at the Dollarama by the Comfort Inn yesterday. A guy ran in and grabbed a handful of chocolate bars, then ran out. My husband was talking to the young security guy who said, oh that guy does that four or five times a day!

What do you expect? Mega Mart on Gorge is low on inventory.

• mbjj, Victoria Watcher and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#18097 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:53 PM

Last week I spotted a dude on the sidewalk. Zonked out prostrate, motionless. Like he was praying to Mecca or something. He was surrounded by bags and debris including a suitcase opened up filled with chocolate bars and bags of jerky treats. It was like he cleaned out a convenience store.

#18098 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:43 PM

In the name of "solving' homelessness, the local SJWs are slowly destroying the city. It sickens me.
  • mbjj, A Girl is No one, On the Level and 2 others like this

#18099 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:56 PM

Sure are a lot more tents in Beacon Hill, kitty corner to the Helm's Inn and across from Southpark School. I was quite surprised as I hadn't been by there for a few days. Also there is now a concrete planter blocking cars from entering Arbutus Way in the park. I guess a very skinny fire truck could get through.

Market on Yates had that for a while and they let them take what they want and leave. I stopped shopping there as I refuse to pay extra to cover for the theft losses when the store doesn’t even try to stop it. I think they have brought back their security now.

#18100 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:11 PM

In the name of "solving' homelessness, the local SJWs are slowly destroying the city. It sickens me.

One stolen Twinkie at a time.......brought to a family neighbourhood near you by Dings Dongs. 

• mbjj likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users