BUILT
Offices at Eagle Creek Village
Uses: office, commercial
Address: Helmcken Road at Watkiss Way
Municipality: View Royal
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Eagle Creek Village is a multi-use development situated across the street from the Victoria General Hospital i... (view full profile)
Learn more about Offices at Eagle Creek Village on Citified.ca
Photo

[View Royal] Eagle Creek Village | Built

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:48 PM

This is a bit of a surprise...

‘Non-emergency’ hospital proposed

By Rudy Haugeneder
News staff
Apr 20 2007

A five-hectare medical-residential complex that includes the possibility of a private, multi-storey, non-critical emergency hospital across the street from Victoria General Hospital was unveiled to View Royal council Tuesday.

Peter Laughlin, president of Wessex Project Management, said more than 84,000 square feet of the proposed complex he estimates will cost more than $40 million, will be aimed at attracting medical offices and a “non-emergency facility” that will serve as an overflow service to the general hospital.

Laughlin said he has already talked to the Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) about the non-emergency hospital and other medical facilities for the site.

The development at 23 Helmcken Rd. also includes 125 rental townhouse and condominium units aimed at hospital and medical staff, medical and doctors’ officies, an Alzheimer’s care centre, a Ronald McDonald House-type residence for families of sick children undergoing treatment at Victoria General Hospital, and 1.5 hecatres of parkland. Most of the 564 parking stalls would be underground with only 164 above ground.

Laughlin said the proposed development, on a field between Watkiss Way and the Hidden Oaks condominiums, would also house commercial businesses such as a drug store, banks and restaurants. The land is owned by Desmond Properties and the Hourigan family.

The prospect of a privately-owned hospital worries View Royal Coun. Andrew Britton. A paramedic, Britton said he favours the development but said he would oppose a private clinic that serves as a hospital, because he wants such facilities owned by the government.

His concerns were quickly silenced by the rest of council who said such decisions aren’t made by municipalities.

Mayor Graham Hill, like the rest of council, endorsed the development in principle, which could become a medical hub like the area around the Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria.

Hill said Laughlin’s remarks on having talked to VIHA about building a general hospital overflow facility for non-critical emergencies was “a bit of a surprise.”

The mayor said he has “no idea” whether the concept would work because it is “a work in process” between the developer and VIHA. There is “no definition” of what the service would look like if the development that requires a zoning amendment goes ahead, said Hill.

The land is currently designated rural and medium density low rise but Town planners are urging a “Hospital Comprehensive Development” designation be considered by council.

A report to council by Town planner John Neill said: “The proposal is designed to complement the neighbouring Victoria General Hospital by providing medical-related facilities, along with affordable housing for hospital staff and a retail-commercial focus for the surrounding area.”

Echoing Laughlin, Neill said “the concept will create a community where residents can work, shop and sleep within the development or its immediate area.”

The development site now goes to advisory committees then committee of the whole in May, where council could give rezoning three readings, and then go to public hearing.

Council said there will be ample opportunity for public input before any final decision.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

They sure have different views on parking out in the burbs...

Most of the 564 parking stalls would be underground with only 164 above ground

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

Sounds like it makes sense. Look at all the medical offices around the Jubilee.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

Sounds like a natural progression.

#5 valdez12

valdez12
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:41 AM

Too bad VGH was built so far out there, ie: had it been built a bit close to Tilicum and Mckenzie 25 years ago it could have embelished a so-so neghbourhood and would now have helped create a neighbourhood. (à la Jubilee area)

It being in the forest and fields has just increased sprawl and has to create a whole neighbourhood where there is nothing.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:04 PM

What's under construction there now? They're building something big next to the hospital.

BTW, in the hospital's lobby, there's an architect's model of a proposed new emergency ward. The roof was removed so you could see the layout of the rooms. Above the model, some wag had placed an official-looking sign saying that the model was shown without the BC Place-style retractable roof in place. The next day, the sign was gone. Gotta love hospital humour.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

The only construction I have seen out there is the new emergency department.

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:35 AM

Ah, I see. I thought it might be something else since it was on the opposite side. I guess this makes more sense because it seems odd to drive all the way around the hospital to get to (a cramped and shabby-looking) emergency.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:19 AM

Yup the new emergency is on the opposite side of the hospital.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

Was this project ever built?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

Nope

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

This project is back on track but is moving forward at a slower pace.

Know it all.

#13 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

This was in the news a while back (Dated June 21), not sure if its the same site.

http://www.goldstrea.../159886675.html

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

Same project and its good to see it still making its way through the process.

Know it all.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Do we not have a thread for this?

http://www.timescolo...8516/story.html

$100-million project gets a hearing

Seven buildings proposed near Victoria General Hospital

By Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist December 1, 2012

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#16 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Area's first Quality Foods in this development. Hopes it one of their superstores. Do I smell a much needed grocery war coming?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

As mentioned in this thread, Quality Foods has likely been confirmed as a tenant.

Looks like sdwright had a good lead several months ago.

Know it all.

#18 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

is there a website for the project?

#19 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

I found this

http://matrix.cwcana...Creek_email.pdf

#20 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Hey, it's only been six years from the first post about this project ... is not ten years the usual time frame from proposal to start up ... I hope they get on with it, it would be a great improvement over an empty field in that location ...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users