STARBUCKS Coffee in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#241 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

It's not a Starbucks, just a take-out coffee shop "proudly brewing" Starbucks coffee. They're banking on lots of walk by traffic in the summer.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#242 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

It is a bit of a strange animal. It's not quite a Starbucks but it does have their patio umbrellas and signage. Do they take Starbucks cards?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#243 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

Really? Wow i sure thought it was starbucks when I walked past due to the branding. I would be wary if I were Starbucks and maybe make them put the brakes on stealing the branding especially if the interior is not up to par.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#244 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Really? Wow i sure thought it was starbucks when I walked past due to the branding. I would be wary if I were Starbucks and maybe make them put the brakes on stealing the branding especially if the interior is not up to par.

As we discussed in the coffee general discussion thread, this isn't even a licensed Starbucks (i.e. one operated by a food services company like Aramark or HMSHost).

This is basically an independent operator who is buying Starbucks coffee beans and brewing them, in exchange for using Starbucks-branded materials and putting up a sign saying "proudly brewing". Starbucks likes this kind of arrangement because it increases the exposure of their product without them having to invest any money or uphold any standards.

The only thing they could really do would be to enforce how the coffee is brewed.

Edited by bluefox, 07 January 2014 - 11:14 AM.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#245 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

...The only thing they could really do would be to enforce how the coffee is brewed.

Until is bitter. I can't imagine that is very difficult. :redface:

#246 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

^ I have seen a lot of places that "Proudly Brew Starbucks" but they never look like Starbucks. This place looked like a Starbucks when I peeked inside. The staff were even wearing green aprons... If the corporate office is okay with this I would be suprised. The operator gets all of the marketing of Starbucks without any of the overhead while the corporation takes on the risk of people getting mad at Starbucks when the employees are not trained the same way.

It has a whole new look!

#247 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

^ I have seen a lot of places that "Proudly Brew Starbucks" but they never look like Starbucks. This place looked like a Starbucks when I peeked inside. The staff were even wearing green aprons... If the corporate office is okay with this I would be suprised. The operator gets all of the marketing of Starbucks without any of the overhead while the corporation takes on the risk of people getting mad at Starbucks when the employees are not trained the same way.

You mean like every single Safeway Starbucks kiosk? :P

#248 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

I guess I am out of the loop. I assumed the Starbucks in Safeway was a Starbucks...

It has a whole new look!

#249 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

The Belleville store shows as "Heritage Steamship" in the store locator at starbucks.com.

Edit: correction, "Heritage SteamShip".

Edited by aastra, 07 January 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#250 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

The Belleville store shows as "Heritage Steamship" in the store locator at starbucks.com.

Edit: correction, "Heritage SteamShip".

Starbucks' website now shows all store locations, even if they're not company-owned store locations. The way to tell the difference, generally speaking, is in the store details -- if it's a company store, the hours of operation are shown, and there are generally more services (accepts payment via the Starbucks app, it can process rewards card purchases, has free Wi-Fi, etc.).

I do see that the website lists the hours of operation for the Steamship location, but it's definitely a licensed store.

I guess I am out of the loop. I assumed the Starbucks in Safeway was a Starbucks...

All Starbucks stores located in Safeway/Target stores are licensed.

#251 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

Okay I think there is a big difference between a licensed store and one that just proudly brews Starbucks. The airport cafe on the airside proudly brews Starbucks but is clearly not a Starbucks. I think a licensed location is more like a Franchise location.

It has a whole new look!

#252 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

Can Starbucks staff transfer between licensed stores and corporate stores?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#253 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

Nope.

#254 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

Can Starbucks staff transfer between licensed stores and corporate stores?

The licenced stores (at least at Safeway) are staffed by Safeway employees, not Starbucks employees. 

• bluefox likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#255 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

Okay I think there is a big difference between a licensed store and one that just proudly brews Starbucks. The airport cafe on the airside proudly brews Starbucks but is clearly not a Starbucks. I think a licensed location is more like a Franchise location.

I agree with G-Man here. I'll note that this location is able to take Starbucks gift cards (still burning off xmas gifts) but had to enter the numbers in manually - being a licensee they must use different equipment.

#256 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:35 PM

Vic West's Westside Village Starbucks regular patron named Sean (or Shaun) paid for hundreds of dollars of coffee orders for complete strangers today.

For much of the day today patrons were told at the till that their coffee order had been paid for by this individual.

Sean paid it forward, alright.

Merry Christmas :)

Know it all.

#257 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:08 PM

Wow I picked the wrong one to go to today. The Starbucks at the corner of Government and Yates seems to have been invaded by the laptop brigade more than any other Starbucks that I frequent. Rather pay a bit more and go to "hey happy". 

#258 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

hey happy has great beverages. we are pretty blessed with local owned operated coffee shops. I think the owner of HH was a national barista champion.

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#259 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:29 AM

Starbucks in the Bay Centre (should it now be Hudson's Bay Centre?) appeared to be open this morning, or at least the paper was down off the windows. Assuming renovations are complete.

• Mike K. likes this

#260 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:25 PM

Going in at Gateway Village

IMG_0967.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users