STARBUCKS Coffee in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#301 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 May 2022 - 09:35 PM

Noticed that particular location has been closed during normal business hours recently.

#302 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,300 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 02:23 AM

“There are zero reasons for these investments not to be extended to our members at the Douglas Street store in Victoria. We have language in the collective agreement, negotiated by both parties, that allows for changes deemed necessary by mutual agreement of the employer and the union, at any time, during the life of the agreement.”

The union claims that it has requested Starbucks Canada to mutually agree to extend the partner investments to the Douglas Street workers, and the request has been denied.

https://www.cheknews...cation-1039686/

It sounds as though they should have e negotiated a contract that allows them to automatically get an increase when employees elsewhere get one.

Now they are being paid less than non-union employees and they pay union dues. Tough break.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 May 2022 - 02:23 AM.

#303 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 02:24 AM

Noticed that particular location has been closed during normal business hours recently.

Likely it’s cheaper to close than to bring in staff ion overtime.

#304 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 07:25 PM

If you're an employer who is saddled with running a legally certified workplace in British Columbia, and you have a current Collective Agreement in place ... you'd be insane to consider such things as wage increases and other perks outside of actual mandated bargaining, something that's only required when the current Collective Agreement is about to expire.

I'm amazed to read such self-righteous drivel from the United Steel Workers ... presumably experienced when it comes to Collective Bargaining, their "official" statement asking for parity with non-union stores outside of official Collective Bargaining is utterly ridiculous.

• Matt R. likes this

#305 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 01:28 PM

Out of curiosity, has the union actually negotiated an agreement on behalf of the workers at this Starbucks location?

From what I can tell, this location has not been open for inside seating for a long period of time, it has been 'drive-thru only' whenever I pass by.  I'm not sure why that is... the Gateway Village location has both drive thru *and* inside seating available.

#306 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 01:37 PM

Yes, they have negotiated an agreement ...  Starbucks and the Steelworkers both make multiple references to "the existing Collective Agreement" providing for mutual changes if agreed to by both parties, and made during the period the Collective Agreement covers.

But the agreement in place doesn't provide for raises, partnerships, or training opportunities ... so of course these unionized employees (quite correctly) don't get any of it.

#307 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 01:53 PM

The Steelworkers likely enjoy the mandatory union dues though.

#308 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 02:01 PM

Indeed, most likely somewhere in the neighborhood of 4% of total wages, as well as a quarterly lump sum for yearly dues.

Which is why any new workplace certification in B.C. sees the employees instantly in the hole 6% to 8% (or so) below what they were making pre-certification.

Of course all Unions promise the world when trying to sign up new workers ... but rarely do those Unions achieve anything more than just covering their "new" union dues ... and often they don't even cover the dues in a first Collective Agreement.

• Nparker likes this

#309 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 12:00 PM

The Starbucks in my neighbourhood is hosting a job/hiring fair for a new "premium" Starbucks that will be opening in downtown Victoria.

Does anyone know where this will be located within downtown?

• Mike K., Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#310 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 12:15 PM

I wonder if this is their 'reserve' concept. 2019:

Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson says the company will test six to 10 of its high-end Reserve coffee stores to see how well they perform before moving forward with an ambitious plan previously laid out to expand to 1,000 Reserve locations. - https://www.bizjourn...kin-coffee.html

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#311 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 01:46 PM

The Starbucks in my neighbourhood is hosting a job/hiring fair for a new "premium" Starbucks that will be opening in downtown Victoria.

Does anyone know where this will be located within downtown?

I swear I saw something a few days ago about a new premium Starbucks in Customs House. Surprised me given the other new premium Starbucks a block and a half away in the DoubleTree. 

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#312 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 03:27 PM

I swear I saw something a few days ago about a new premium Starbucks in Customs House. Surprised me given the other new premium Starbucks a block and a half away in the DoubleTree.

Well, we used to have two Starbucks on Government Street about a half block apart from each other.

Also, the store at DoubleTree is a licensed store but the new one will be a corporate location, given that the hiring fair is taking place at a corporate location…

#313 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 06:07 PM

There were three Starbucks on three consecutive blocks of Government Street when the Bay Centre Starbucks was temporarily located near the Fort & Government entrance

#314 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 11:29 AM

I passed by today and Starbucks is opening on the SW corner of Custom House facing the harbour…

#315 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 04:36 PM

I have it on pretty good authority Starbucks is opening at Colwood Corners.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#316 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 10:14 PM

Can someone smarter and wiser than me please explain the appeal of Starbucks? Pricey? Very average food? Not even close to great good coffee? Yup! on all accounts.

Is it simply the place where ultimately hipster, ultra-groovy "social media influencers" and.....ahem...."thought leaders" just have to be seen and heard demurely sipping their java in public? I don't get it because they certainly aren't there for the outstanding coffee. Must be slick marketing.

On a semi-serious note it would be interesting to know what their ideal {age} demographic/target is. Pretty certain its not my cohort :}

#317 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 10:33 PM

I don't think Starbucks has nearly the cachet it had 20 years ago. I am always a bit surprised when I hear of a new location opening these days.

#318 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 10:52 PM

I don't think Starbucks has nearly the cachet it had 20 years ago. I am always a bit surprised when I hear of a new location opening these days.

In general I agree although obviously they have a "name", a global brand not to mention a huge marketing budget.

But yeah even 20 years ago Serious Coffee, Seattle's Best etc were light years better in terms of the actual product. First time I ever tried Serious Coffee was in Edmonton and I thought "WOW" - I was drinking an entirely different and altogether far superior product than that insipid stuff you get at Starbucks. Ditto for Seattle's Best. SB, purely from a product/taste standpoint, isn't even in the same league. And yet - all credit to them - the allure of their "brand" seems to overcome the huge shortcomings of the actual product.

• Nparker likes this

#319 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 10:56 PM

I dunno, Starbucks is fine. All the other coffee chains aspire to emulate it.

Know it all.

#320 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 January 2024 - 11:02 PM

Every Starbucks and Timmies in town has a lineup when I go or go by them during the day. All of them.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users