Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:22 PM

Looks like it was definitely arson.

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:51 PM

Looks like it was definitely arson.

Investigators have confirmed arson was the cause of a fire and massive explosion that destroyed a Vancouver taco restaurant and a coffee shop and damaged several other businesses early Wednesday morning.

A CBC viewer submitted this photo after the explosion Wednesday morning on West Broadway.
(Submitted to CBCNews.ca by Lesley McKnight)
The initial fire at 686 West Broadway was set inside the Taco Del Mar restaurant by someone using an accelerant, resulting in a fuel-air explosion, police and fire department investigators said later in the day.

The massive explosion engulfed the neighbouring Starbucks and the taco shop in what witnesses described as a fireball at about 2:20 a.m. PT.

Two witnesses told CBC News that immediately after the explosion, they saw a man dressed in dark clothing running from the area. It is not clear whether the man was fleeing the explosion or was involved in the incident.

A Starbucks cafe and a Taco Del Mar restaurant were destroyed by the blast Wednesday morning, but nobody was injured.
(CBC)
A crew member working on a film set nearby told CBC News he heard breaking glass before the explosion.

A bus stop in front of the explosion was destroyed, and windows were shattered on several other businesses, including the London Drugs store across the street.

The explosion also blew in a sixth-floor window on the Holiday Inn half a block away, in the room where a member of the Canadian military was staying. The hotel manager said the woman was not injured by the glass, but was shocked by the explosion.

Shattered glass covered nearly half of the 600 block of West Broadway following the explosion.
(CBC)
At least five businesses were damaged by the explosion and shattered glass was spread for half a block in all directions, and police say it was a miracle that no one was hurt. The incident occurred about one block away from Vancouver General Hospital.

Continued: http://www.cbc.ca/ca...st.html?ref=rss

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:40 PM

Starbucks' website identifies a new location "coming soon" in the shopping plaza at Gorge & Tillicum.

#64 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:11 PM

^Yeah, they're already working on the interior drywall. Should be open in a few weeks. It's in the corner of one of this city's most dismal little mini-strip malls.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#65 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

It seems funny to have that one so close to the one at Tillicum Mall while at the same time there isn't a single location in all of Esquimalt.

#66 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:10 PM

That is like a 15 minute walk between them. Downtown they have to be no more than a 3 minute walk apart.

#67 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

I live in the Burnside - Tillicum - Gorge area and we have a severe shortage of coffee places. We have the Starbucks at the mall and that is it. There are a few on Douglas Street, but that really means leaving the neighbourhood.

I had hoped that the Muffin Girl on Burnside would offer coffee, but they are not allowed to operate as a restaurant.

I am much more likely to use the Starbucks close to the Gorge Fairway because I, like most people in the area, shop at the Fairway and not the Safeway

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

It seems funny to have that one so close to the one at Tillicum Mall while at the same time there isn't a single location in all of Esquimalt.

Tim Horton's has that turf covered. Highest per-capita TH concentration in the CRD (thank the naval base for that).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#69 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

I'll be darned. I had no idea. There are 3 Tim Hortons locations in Esquimalt!

#70 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

I noticed the blue prints on the floor that said Starbucks Coffee so it looks like it is going to be a Starbucks.

So sad.

#71 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

I'll take yet another Starbucks if the alternative is an empty storefront (or a 7-Eleven).

#72 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

Or a dollar store.

#73 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:54 PM

same thing.

#74 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

@ osmich: how do you mean "same thing"? I hope not as in "a Starbucks is the same thing as a dollar store/ empty storefront"?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#75 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

Yes and that is my opinion only. It is getting a bit much really. Victoria is a bit small to have one on every corner. Americans will feel at home though.

#76 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:05 PM

I don't think there's any danger of Vancouver-style saturation in Victoria.

In Vancouver, Aria would contain a Starbucks. The Falls would contain a Starbucks. Astoria or Belvedere would contain a Starbucks. The Atrium would contain a Starbucks. The Juliet would contain a Starbucks. The Hudson, Centro, and Radius would each contain a Starbucks. Gateway Green would contain a Starbucks. Heck, Mermaid Wharf would contain a Starbucks. You just know that isn't going to happen in Victoria. I'm thinking maybe two or three of those sites will get a Starbucks at most.

There will be seven Starbucks in downtown Victoria after this new one in Centennial Square opens, right? I welcome #8-#10, assuming they appear in some of the locations I identified above. Government Street has enough.

When we've got more than ten downtown, then I'd probably start getting concerned about the potential for Vancouver-style monoculture.

#77 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

Actually, as things stand now, I'd really like to see a Starbucks or two in the Centro/Gateway Green/Hudson/Radius area.

#78 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

Ummm, okay.

#79 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:46 PM

Haha, aastra, don't ever tell Victorians that they are in no danger. Victorians love to -- need to -- feel in danger and endangered. They need to think that the world is about to end for them, and that things are just going downhill. Fast.

It makes them feel important.

Gives their lives meaning.

Gives 'em a reason to get out of bed in the mornings. Victorians love it.

We should have a thread called "1001 things that can (and will) go wrong in Victoria, and only in Victoria. 'Cause we're special."
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#80 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:52 PM

Haha, aastra, don't ever tell Victorians that they are in no danger. Victorians love to -- need to -- feel in danger and endangered. They need to think that the world is about to end for them, and that things are just going downhill. Fast.

It makes them feel important.

Gives their lives meaning.

Gives 'em a reason to get out of bed in the mornings. Victorians love it.

We should have a thread called "1001 things that can (and will) go wrong in Victoria, and only in Victoria. 'Cause we're special."

Are you speaking for yourself or just generalizing?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users