Photo

STARBUCKS Coffee in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#81 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

In Vancouver, Aria would contain a Starbucks. The Falls would contain a Starbucks. Astoria or Belvedere would contain a Starbucks. The Atrium would contain a Starbucks. The Juliet would contain a Starbucks. The Hudson, Centro, and Radius would each contain a Starbucks. Gateway Green would contain a Starbucks. Heck, Mermaid Wharf would contain a Starbucks. You just know that isn't going to happen in Victoria. I'm thinking maybe two or three of those sites will get a Starbucks at most.

Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.

Something like that, right?

#82 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

Downtown Vancouver + the West End are about the same size as downtown Victoria + North Park + James Bay plus a sliver of Fairfield west of Cook Street. I count 9 Starbucks in Victoria in that area, as versus ~50+ in downtown Vancouver & the West End. This is what I mean when I talk about saturation. There are only so many street corners. You can walk all over the place in Victoria without seeing a Starbucks, if that's what floats your boat. In downtown Vancouver you can't escape them.

Victoria proper contains ~15 Starbucks. That works out to about 1 Starbucks per ~5,300 in the city proper, which is about the same ratio as in the Kitsilano neighbourhood in Vancouver.

On Vancouver's downtown peninsula there is 1 starbucks per ~1,700 residents. Of course, residential populations don't tell the whole story, especially so in the case of downtown Vancouver or downtown Victoria.

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:38 AM

I've noticed more and more food establishments "proudly brewing" Starbucks coffees.

All your base are belong to us.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

Downtown Vancouver + the West End are about the same size as downtown Victoria + North Park + James Bay plus a sliver of Fairfield west of Cook Street. I count 9 Starbucks in Victoria in that area, as versus ~50+ in downtown Vancouver & the West End. This is what I mean when I talk about saturation. There are only so many street corners. You can walk all over the place in Victoria without seeing a Starbucks, if that's what floats your boat. In downtown Vancouver you can't escape them.

Victoria proper contains ~15 Starbucks. That works out to about 1 Starbucks per ~5,300 in the city proper, which is about the same ratio as in the Kitsilano neighbourhood in Vancouver.

On Vancouver's downtown peninsula there is 1 starbucks per ~1,700 residents. Of course, residential populations don't tell the whole story, especially so in the case of downtown Vancouver or downtown Victoria.

Do you work for Starbucks?

#85 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:31 PM

No, I work for food and shelter.

#86 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

I've noticed more and more food establishments "proudly brewing" Starbucks coffees.

All your base are belong to us.

Isn't 'pride' one of the seven deadly sins?

#87 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

I'll take pride over sullenness (the mood de jour at many area coffee shops) any day.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#88 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

I'll take pride over sullenness (the mood de jour at many area coffee shops) any day.

Yeah, but sullenness will get you into Heaven. Pride won't.

#89 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:31 AM

I hope there are a couple starbucks in heaven. What if you got there and they only had Blenz!

#90 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

I think heaven will probably be a combination of all of the major coffee chains.

#91 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

I hope there are a couple starbucks in heaven. What if you got there and they only had Blenz!

My understanding is that God is into free will and self determination. Starbucks doesn't promote this.

#92 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:28 PM

Oh but it does.. I read it on one of their cups. Or wait, is that using free will and independent thought to promote Starbucks? Oh, I am so confused!

#93 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

Different kettle of fish, but the presence of the word 'Enjoy' on a can/bottle of Coca-Cola...is that a command to enjoy, or is it merely a suggestion?

#94 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

I think you need to buy more product to make up your mind for you...
;-)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#95 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

My local supermarket contains a not-so-subtle instruction in big letters on one wall: "Produce".

I didn't think much of it until I noticed something else right above the front door as people walk in: "Entrance".

They get you into a state of hypnosis and then they bombard you with the message about producing more. Pretty sinister.

#96 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

My local supermarket contains a not-so-subtle instruction in big letters on one wall: "Produce".

When selecting meat, I like to introduce myself to everyone who walks by.

#97 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:21 AM

When selecting meat, I like to introduce myself to everyone who walks by.

Ethically, that is admirable. These days we are far too disconnected from the meat we eat. Many people have forgotten where it comes from, and even fewer bother to ask its name.

#98 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:40 AM

Last time I was at the grocery store I saw a box labeled "Incense" and I got so mad...

Meanwhile, here's a way to beat the lineup:

Bellingham Fire Department personnel prepare
to move an injured woman after a car crashed
into a Starbucks Coffee shop on Bakerview Road
in Bellingham on May 6, 2008. Five people were injured.
PHILIP A. DWYER THE BELLINGHAM HERALD
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#99 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:44 AM

Heavy. Bad coffee, jangled caffeinated nerves, AND car crashes. Toss in one of those shitty Starbucks 'Paul McCartney' CD's and you've got yourself some decent therapy material.

I'll bet none of this would have happened if the victim had chosen a Tim's Drive-through.

#100 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:44 AM

Douple post. OOPS.

Heavy. Bad coffee, jangled caffeinated nerves, AND car crashes. Toss in one of those shitty Starbucks CD's and you've got yourself some decent therapy material.

I'll bet none of this would have happened if the victim had chosen a Tim's Drive-through.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users