Camping on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
438 replies to this topic

#201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

Good God, those black crickets!! I encountered one in a cave in the Nitinaht Valley once and got so startled that I lurched my head back and smoked the cave ceiling above. I literally saw stars afterwards.

Now I know why peeps wear helmets when exploring caves.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#202 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

I think they were more of the Rhaphidophoridae family I think Camel Crickets.
camel_cricket.jpeg
^Actual size maybe a bit bigger.

Edited by todd, 06 August 2016 - 02:26 PM.

#203 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, that's it.

Gross.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#204 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

Bats in the caves to but they seem to keep to themselves.

#205 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:51 PM

Effective at noon on Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2016, campfires will once again be allowed throughout the Coastal Fire Centre’s jurisdiction, except on the southern third of Vancouver Island within the South Island Natural Resource District.

To help protect public safety, campfires remain prohibited in areas south of Hindoo Creek (just north of Buckley Bay), and south of Strathcona Park and Nootka Sound. However, campfires are still permitted within the “Fog Zone” — a band of land two kilometres wide that runs from Owen Point near Port Renfrew to the district boundary of Port Hardy.

The Lower Mainland and the northern two-thirds of Vancouver Island received rain over the weekend, and much of it fell in areas where the campfire ban is being lifted. More rain is in the forecast, so members of the public are encouraged to visit: www.bcwildfire.ca to get the latest information about open fire prohibitions in their area.

The existing Category 2 and Category 3 open burning prohibitions within the Coastal Fire Centre remain in place. Category 2 open fires are not permitted within the Coastal Fire Centre’s jurisdictional area. Category 3 open fires are only permitted within Haida Gwaii.

https://news.gov.bc....FLNR0193-001556

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#206 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:41 PM

"except on the southern third of Vancouver Island "

I guess that means we are out of luck.  Although, Env Canada  is predicting rain from Wednesday through Friday then cloud over the weekend.  The nice thing about weather forecasts is that they are like horoscopes.  If you don't like what it says, then check a different site....

#207 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

The problem OTL is that prior to that we were in near-drought conditions especially on the south island; a day or two of rain won't make a dent.

The region needs a good 1-2 week drenching to replenish what we didn't have to start the season, i.e. a decent snow-pack (from the non-existent winter of 2015-16 that wasn't). I was hiking the upper Cowichan/Walbran Valley last weekend and was shocked at the low water levels of the river. From the perspective of not only a fisherman but just plain concerned citizen the situation there is not good and does not bode well for the resident fish species in the Cowichan watershed/eco-system.

#208 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:09 PM

^ that doesn't have anything to do with campfires though.

#209 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:17 PM

It was a direct response to OTL's comment re: the immediate weather forecast......

#210 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:33 PM

Agreed, it's been dry for too long and the lack of a snow pack didn't help.

Speaking of the snow pack, that's another option for camping that's free during the winter months for those so inclined. It needs some additional planning but you throw your gear on a sled and walk into some amazing areas. We were rained out last year but will try again this Feb...

#211 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

The lack of mosquitoes has been absolutely awesome.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#212 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

The lack of mosquitoes has been absolutely awesome.

Dang! I knew somebody would jinx that.

#213 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:38 PM

Yeah but we still have wasps, lots and lots of wasps.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#214 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:51 PM

Yeah but we still have wasps, lots and lots of wasps.

And zombie bees, snakes in the drains, three legged racoons and a hungry cougar hanging around the municipal hall in Esquimalt.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#215 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:02 AM

A reminder that the campfire ban has been lifted well north of Victoria. Campfires are not permitted anywhere south of Courtenay, more or less, south of Strathcona Park and south of Nootka Sound. However, there is a fog band that stretches for 2 kilometers inland from the coast that does permit campfires. It starts north of Port Renfrew and runs all the way to Port Hardy.

CAMPFIRE-BAN-2.jpg

Know it all.

#216 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:06 PM

Fog Band would be a good name for....?

• todd likes this

#217 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:09 PM

A circus act?

Know it all.

#218 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:05 PM

New for 2017

Beginning at 7 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on October 1, 2016, you can start booking your Berg Lake Trail or Bowron Lake Canoe Circuit adventure for the 2017 season! View the news release.

Changes to Camping Reservations for the 2017 Season

We made some important and significant changes to the Discover Camping Reservation Service for 2017 stemming from feedback we received during the 2016 season.

These changes include the ability to make reservations earlier in the year and some new policies to enhance fair and equitable access to reservations for everyone.

Please read below for more details.

New policy to prevent the reselling and/or transferring of reservations     Restricted booking policy to stop the practice of “overbooking”     Discover Camping Call Centre hours     Other related BC Parks’ policy changes     For more information, please see our Q&A’s.     New Inventory for 2017:       Click here to view our top tips for making reservations.

http://www.env.gov.b...cparks/reserve/

• lanforod likes this

#219 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:31 AM

The B.C. government announced changes to its camping reservation system Monday in an attempt to close loopholes and free up sites for more people.

Changes include measures to prevent overbooking and resale of reservations, as well as a pilot project in some parks to limit maximum stays to seven days.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.u3OecrYO.dpuf

#220 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:54 PM

Apparently the Songhess campground has re-opened.

https://www.salishse...ions/price-list

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users