Camping on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
438 replies to this topic

#261 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,322 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:24 AM

saw the EarthRoamers on the joe rogan show.

quite the things.

https://earthroamer.com/pre-roamed/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 September 2020 - 05:24 AM.

#262 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:02 AM

Things are about to get quite interesting in BC, according to The Star. Apparently there are approximately 50,000 permanent RV dwellers who usually head to the States for the winter, but with the border closed many of them are looking at warmer western climates. Vancouver Island is expected to be especially popular.

via https://www.thestar....an-winter.html 

#263 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:06 PM

Hmmm, considering how poor the insulation is on those things, even the high-end ones, I don't think that flood of people will materialize. It can be very energy-consuming and in some cases near impossible to keep an RV warm on a chilly, damp west coast evening.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#264 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,322 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:28 PM

might they just buy more firewood for the Saskatchewan home and bunk down for winter?

#265 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:49 PM

Hmmm, considering how poor the insulation is on those things, even the high-end ones, I don't think that flood of people will materialize. It can be very energy-consuming and in some cases near impossible to keep an RV warm on a chilly, damp west coast evening.

might they just buy more firewood for the Saskatchewan home and bunk down for winter?

The article is about people whose RV is their home, not those who have an RV in addition to their home. Close to 400,000 Canadians live in "movable dwellings" as per the 2016 census, which includes RVs.

The west coast, despite being chilly, is a much better choice for overwintering than Ontario.

#266 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:02 PM

A lot of people full-time in RVs. Some could opt to rent for the winter, but I agree, there will be a bunch of folks in local parks. I'm already seeing high demand for booking offseason sites in RV parks, could be why.

#267 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:23 PM

I know for a fact a lot of RV places are fully booked this winter on the island.
  • lanforod likes this

#268 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:03 AM

Contemplating getting a trailer to put on the property to allow for another foreign worker to come and live while we look for a permanent residence. Any comments on living in one of these things even for a short while? Don’t tell me about bylaws, I don’t care.

Matt.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#269 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 07:19 AM

I lived in a 40' Airstream for 10 summers in Northern Manitoba.  Weather ranged from just above freezing with sleet and snow to 30+C and humidity.  

Sprayfoam all openings in the bottom, otherwise mice will be a problem - especially in the winter. 

Try to figure out some way of using indoor plumbing - keeping the grey/black water serviced is a PITA - much better to have standard, indoor facilities. 

Be prepared for a lot of propane or electric use to stay warm - if it was below 10c, I had a little electric heater/fan running pretty much full-time

Go over the roof with a finetooth comb now, and waterproof, waterproof, waterproof.  The middle of a rainstorm is no time to discover that the rivets in your roof are leaking...

• Mike K., Matt R., lanforod and 1 other like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#270 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:33 AM

If you do use the tanks etc. get tank heaters and insulate all external lines. use a heated water hose. You really need a way to dump the tanks if you do this more more than a few days. I don't think you can get a connection into sewer, but you're on SSI, so I imagine you could dump into a septic tank.

Edited by lanforod, 14 September 2020 - 08:35 AM.

#271 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

A trailer is no place to spend a winter. It's pretty miserable given the ultra-light insulation those things have. They're trailers, and meant to be ultra-light for a reason.

I'd suggest you look into renting an Atco trailer and provide a port-a-pottie adjacent to it. When you're done with the trailer, off it goes, and the port-a-potties get serviced so you don't have to worry about it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#272 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:41 AM

Some 50k or so Canadian snow-bird full-time RVers will get to experience winter this year in Canada in an RV :). Or they rent if they can afford it. At least here its relatively warm in the winter.

#273 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:01 AM

Honestly, I'd take -15C in the Okanagan with sunshine and dry air any day over +5C in pouring rain and wind on the Island. But yes, a lot of people are likely to come to that conclusion later this year  :judge:

Know it all.

#274 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:59 PM

The Class A motorhomes are suitable in most climates.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#275 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:12 PM

Something tells me Matt isn’t thinking of a $450k coach.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#276 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:19 AM

Something tells me Matt isn’t thinking of a $450k coach.

$15k max. Trust me, I’d rather a real building. I’m working on it.

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#277 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:48 AM

$15k max. Trust me, I’d rather a real building. I’m working on it.

Matt.

Arctic Fox (best true 4 season campers): https://www.arbutusr...5p/p07c644.html

• Matt R. likes this

#278 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:57 PM

^ Slide that puppy up against the park and you’re set ‘till spring.
  • North Shore likes this

#279 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 September 2020 - 05:22 PM

Question: anyone know how busy it is at Goldstream around now? If I want to get a site next weekend which looks like nice n sunny, what is the best way to do it - is it quiet enough I can just pull in Friday evening or ?

#280 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 05:51 PM

You can go to DiscoverCamping.ca and register a spot. Best to register if you’re set on it.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users